HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Unread 10-15-2009, 11:59 AM
LEEP Results

Back from the onc/gyn office.

There are positive margins at the endocervical margin.
Dr. called it CIS.
My choices are CKC or hysterectomy. She said that she didn't think it was necessary at this point ( the hyst ) but that many woman past the child birthing years or don't want children would rather just remove all doubt.
She said she felt confident the CKC would get it all but she also said that about the LEEP.

SO! I am leaning towards the CKC and wondered if anyone could share in their experiences with this procedure? Did you have a lot of pain afterward? Was it successful?

thanks in advance!
Unread 10-15-2009, 12:05 PM
Re: LEEP Results

I had this proceedure many years ago and I don't recall any issues afterwards. And if I experienced a great deal of pain, trust me, I would remember. Sure there maybe some discomfort, but that should be expected. I also remember that I was put under general anasthesia for this, I also had another proceedure done at that same time. This was done on an outpatient basis.
Unread 10-15-2009, 12:54 PM

thanks Ialwaysworry! this is good to hear.

I also wanted to note something from my path report.

HGSIL is present at an inked and cauterized endocervical margin and stains positively with P16 and shows a marked increase in proliferative activity on KI-67 Stains.

I'm guessing the P16 is the type of HPV but was is this KI-67?
Unread 10-15-2009, 01:04 PM

I don't know what the KI-67 stain is, I'm sure somebody will read this and respond if they know.

Your result indicates high grade dysplasia. Have you considered consulting with a gyno/onco? I definately would becuase these are pre-cancerous conditions, and I don't believe HGSIL goes away with no treatment. But I would definately want a gyno/onco to do the which ever proceedure you chose.

They are now leaning towards my vaginal cancer being related to my cervical dysplasia years ago (20 yrs ago). And that because vaginal cancer is so rare that some of these cells had of fallen onto the vaginal tissues and taken off from there. So, if I had known then what I know now. I more than likely would have had a gyno/onco perform my proceedures. Now I am living with a urostomy and colostomy. But hey, I am alive.
Unread 10-15-2009, 01:28 PM

Ki-67 is a protein that is only present in proliferative (i.e. actively dividing) cells. Normal cells aren't actively dividing so lots of Ki-67 is consistent with a pre-cancerous condition.
Unread 10-15-2009, 01:31 PM

I had a LEEP performed in 2004 and had clear margins. The pathology report came back as HGSIL CIS/CIN III (HPV positive but I don't know the strain). The LEEP was relatively uneventful. There wasn't much pain (mild during the proceedure), and I had a bit of discharge. Nothing overwhelming at all.

After the LEEP I had clear pap smears for several years. False hope, I got cervical cancer anyway. I'm not trying to scare you, not everyone has the same outcome as I.

If you are past your child bearing years or have no interest in having kids I would suggest you consider a hyst. But my opinion is highly biased based on my personal experience.

Good luck to you.
Unread 10-15-2009, 01:42 PM

@Ialwaysworry - i am seeing an onc/gyn. I orginally had a pap come back with atypical sqaumous and glandular cells which lead to a coloscopy/ECC?EDNO biopsy. ECC/EDNO cameb back negitaive, cervical biopsy came back as CIN III. I went to go see a onc/gyn. the onc/gyn did my leep. afterwards she said she was confident the path reports would not show anything and was surprised when they did. I just hope i don't get any more surprises!

@Kybbi - oh, that makes total sense. Thanks!

@femtech - wow, i'm sorry. may i ask how many years after the leep did this all come back? I guess this is a worry for me but the dr. seemed to feel the CKC would get it all, but like i said she thought the same thing about leep. I just don't know.
Unread 10-15-2009, 02:23 PM

Well, my LEEP was in 2004. I was officially diagnosed with squamous cell carcinoma this past June. So 5 years-ish. I had one abnormal pap in 2007, but the biopsy came back clear, although my Gyno Onc thinks that was another false negative. After that I started down the path to this. I started having abnormal vaginal discharge that was diagnosed as bacterial vaginosis. I visited my OBGYN 6 times between 2007 and my referral to the Gyno Onc. Its been a very wild time.
Unread 10-15-2009, 03:14 PM

In October of 2008 I had the leep procedure done and the report said clear margins. I had another leep this October. I am diagnosed with cervical cancer with possible invasion and will be having more biopsies on Monday of swollen nodes in the uterus and surrounding areas. I am seeing an onc/gyn and she is hoping the swollen nodes are due to an allergic reaction to the medicine used to stop the bleeding after the last leep. Hopefully she is right and I will be able to have a davinci hysterectomy, if spread I will have radiation and chemo, we will know on Monday. I am only telling you my experience. In my family cancer is rampant and this may contribute to some case of recurrence. Best of luck to you in your decision.
Unread 10-16-2009, 05:10 AM

@femtech - my progression from CIN I to CIN III (or now the onc/gyn is calling it CIS), was 4 years. Seeing how yours progressed so rapidly, makes me wonder if certain people are more prone to it returning? I know that stress is a huge factor and for me i am always under stress. The other part that is concerning to me about your story is that I am assuming you were getting your paps on a regular basis? If so, why was it not caught early? Same in my case. Sometimes i think the pap test is not the best screening tool.

@geneecho -I'm sorry to hear this. hang in there! Did you have the other leep because of another abnormal pap? May I ask what your original diagnosis was back in oct of 2008?

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway