HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

How long does it take for Lupron to work, How long does it take for Lupron to work,

Unread 10-17-2009, 02:08 PM
How long does it take for Lupron to work,

Hi, I'm a new member and and headed for a hysterectomy in January. A little background info, I was taken off birth control pills in September 2008. I didn't have a period until July 2, 2009. Except for 12 days, my period has never stopped. I started hemmoraging and had an emergency D & C. Still keep bleeding. In Sept. 2009, the doctor attempted to do the Novasure, uterine ablation, and it didn't work. My uterus was too big. (I had a 10 lb. baby). On Sept. 29 I had my first shot of Lupon. Still bleeding and now bleeding heavy. Doctor put me on Megace to control the bleeding which is interferring with my diabetic meds. After 4 days on Megace the bleeding was slowing down so I went off the Megace. Today, bleeding heavy, clotting and cramping, so I had to start the Magace again.

My next shot of Lupon is scheduled for Oct. 29. At what point does my period stop. I'm anemic, taking iron and vit. C, but the bleeding just doesn't stop.
Unread 10-18-2009, 09:06 PM
Re: How long does it take for Lupron to work,

Quote:
Originally Posted by domill1515 View Post
Hi, I'm a new member and and headed for a hysterectomy in January. A little background info, I was taken off birth control pills in September 2008. I didn't have a period until July 2, 2009. Except for 12 days, my period has never stopped. I started hemmoraging and had an emergency D & C. Still keep bleeding. In Sept. 2009, the doctor attempted to do the Novasure, uterine ablation, and it didn't work. My uterus was too big. (I had a 10 lb. baby). On Sept. 29 I had my first shot of Lupon. Still bleeding and now bleeding heavy. Doctor put me on Megace to control the bleeding which is interferring with my diabetic meds. After 4 days on Megace the bleeding was slowing down so I went off the Megace. Today, bleeding heavy, clotting and cramping, so I had to start the Magace again.

My next shot of Lupon is scheduled for Oct. 29. At what point does my period stop. I'm anemic, taking iron and vit. C, but the bleeding just doesn't stop.
Sorry. I don't know the answers to the questions. Just wanted to welcome you and say to take care and hang in there.

Unread 10-20-2009, 12:34 AM

I had my period on time time - and heavy - the first month, but could tell the lupron kicked in right away after that because the beginning of the second month is when my hot flashes started.

Hope your bleeding gets better soon.

Unread 10-20-2009, 11:54 AM

Why are you scheduled so far in the future?
Unread 10-21-2009, 07:42 AM

Doctor gave me a choice of during the surgery now or 3 months of Lupron shots. My blood count is low and he wanted time to build me back up. He recommended the shots. If I don't start feeling better by the 2nd shot, I'm going to have it done sooner.

I am not looking forward to the surgery, I'm scared, but I can't keep going on like this. Still bleeding and cramping.
Unread 10-21-2009, 07:51 AM

Best of luck to you. I will be praying for you.
Unread 10-21-2009, 12:33 PM

I am just ending my second month of Lupron and I have read up on it non stop. I had an ablation in July so thankfully no bleeding here. From what I have read the first month on Lupron people have horrid periods that tend to stop after the second shot. I will not be continuing on my Lupron journey as it made my pain worse after the first month which was heavenly.
Unread 10-21-2009, 04:19 PM

I got my period two weeks after the shot and bled for 10 days,So it took about 24 days after the shot to stop the bleeding.I will be having a LVH on friday nov,13! friday the 13 what a day to have surgery!Good luck to you!
Unread 10-21-2009, 06:15 PM

I was given a 3 month injection....a few days after the shot (which was given on july 23) i had very heavy bleeding for three weeks. Since then I have not had any bleeding! Yippee! Scheduled for TAH/BSO on Nov. 11 hoping to be free of AF till then Best of luck!
Question: Does anyone know how long the lupron takes to get out of your system? I'm at the end and still have awful heat flashes, night sweats and insomnia. Thanks!
Unread 10-21-2009, 06:58 PM

I found it took about 6 weeks... so after the second shot about 10 days if I remember right. I started the hot flashes and insomnia... the mood swings... for me it was not a good experience, But for many the symptoms are minor and not in issue. I hope you have no side effects, unfortunately you have about 4 weeks to wait for real relief.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.