HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Femring is too expensive since I lost insurance, what do I do now?? Femring is too expensive since I lost insurance, what do I do now??

Unread 10-19-2009, 06:36 AM
Femring is too expensive since I lost insurance, what do I do now??

I've been on Femring for over a year, I just can't afford it anymore since I've lost my insurance. Any ideas of what I could replace it with? Something much more economical that will work like the femring? Any ideas??
Unread 10-19-2009, 11:28 AM
Re: Femring is too expensive since I lost insurance, what do I do now??

You could use Estrace tablet vaginally like a couple of us do here. We all loved Femring but for most of us it didn't last long enough. We preferred the vaginal delivery of estrogen so it doesn't deal with the liver issues.

If you use Estrace tablet vaginally, you only need very small portion of the 0.5mg tablet at a time and we usually split it into at least 2 doses/day. If interested, see the thread "using Estrace tablet vaginally".
It's only $4/month at most pharmacies if you use generic.
Unread 10-21-2009, 08:21 AM

Thank you so much for your reply, is Estrace made from horse urine? I use the .1 Femring, would I still use the .5 Estrace for the same dose? Do you space that 12 hours apart when you split it in half? Again, thanks so much!
Unread 10-21-2009, 11:29 AM

No, Estrace is not made from horse urine. Only Premarin is made from pregnant mare's urine.

I used 0.1 femring dose but have been using 3/4 to 1 tablet total (0.5mg Estrace generic tablet) daily (vaginally). If you use this method, start SLOW - I think I started with 1/4 tablet twice daily, then went to 1/4 tablet 3 times/daily, and eventually ended up using 1/2 tablet in morning, 1/4 to 1/2 tablet at night - approximately 12 hours apart. Keep in mind when I started I was very deficient in estrogen (level in low 30s). If you're current on your estrogen level, you may need less.

Also know that this method is not necessarily FDA approved (vaginal use vs oral use) so your dr would have to write RX for oral use.
Unread 10-21-2009, 06:50 PM

Calypso, do you mind me asking what your levels are now that you're taking the Estrace vaginally? Do you feel you are on an even keel all day using it this way? Does it ever affect your sleep? I'm very sensitive to estrogen fluctuations. You've been so helpful to me, thanks!
Unread 10-21-2009, 08:04 PM

The last time I had levels tested I had been using 1/2 of a 0.5mg tablet THREE times/daily. I knew I was using too much but was trying to bring up the level (previously 30). My estradiol tested over 400. I have since weaned back off to twice/daily and use 3/4 to 1 tablet daily total. Will retest levels in December.

Am also on thyroid meds, so I know that increases my need for estrogen, so if you're not on them, you'd probably need less. I feel fine with minimal fluctuations, though if I'm very active in the morning or sick, I sometimes feel fluctuations in early afternoon. If you're concerned about it, you could dose three times/daily instead of twice. Just figured that since oral estrace starts declining after 10-12 hours, that using it vaginally would be similar.

Good luck.
Unread 10-21-2009, 10:06 PM

Holy Cow! Over 400?? I bet you had some high estrogen symptoms. No, I don't take any thyroid meds. Does your Gyn know that you take the tablets vaginally? Will my Dr look at me weird when I ask about this? Again, I REALLY appreciate your replies
Unread 10-22-2009, 08:44 AM

You know, the only high estrogen symptom I had, was sensitive breasts. Other than that I felt great. I think we're all different.

I was worried that my dr would look at me strangely when I told her what I was doing. She was quite understanding and agreed to let me continue this method as long as I dropped the level a bit. She suggested backing it off SLOWLY until it got the unpleasant low E symptoms, then slowly increasing until they just went away. She knew nothing else had worked except Femring and it just didn't last for me.

So yes, your dr might be shocked. Probably because this is not an FDA approved method. Good luck!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.