HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Kept ovaries - hormonal changes? Kept ovaries - hormonal changes?

Unread 10-21-2009, 07:04 AM
Kept ovaries - hormonal changes?

I am over 7 weeks out from a LAVH, kept ovaries, lost cervix and uterus. Or should I say, gladly gave them up!
I am having really intense PMS as far as emotions go. Really uptight, angry, rageful dreams...wondering what the impact of losing a uterus is on hormones. Doctor has said nothing and I want to request a hormone test, but wondering what others have experienced or know about this! I have always had a "regular" period besides the massive blood loss

Any information would be greatly appreciated!
Unread 10-22-2009, 12:17 AM
Re: Kept ovaries - hormonal changes?

Wow I'm about 10th week out and did good over all. I just got done reading your comment and was happy/sad to read that at least I'm not the only one that's having night mares, one i woke up screaming and woke up the house and made the dogs bark?? I guess we still won't understand why but it comes from somewhere i guess? another thing having a orgasm is kinda strange and not sure if i like it anymore?? maybe in time i/we will be OK with all of this life change.
Unread 10-22-2009, 12:50 PM

I know for me my ovaries had gone to sleep & didn't wake up until the 3rd month. Then my emotions became more stable. Best wishes.
Unread 10-24-2009, 05:13 PM

Thanks
Unread 11-11-2009, 07:04 AM

Seabutterfly,
When you say your ovaries had gone to "sleep" and woke up 3 months later... did you test your estrogen level and FSH/LH? I'm 6 weeks out and have low estrogen with all kinds of symptoms. I had been on the bc pill (continuous) before surgery - and prior to that had very high levels of estrogen and progesterone. Now they are bottomed out.

How did you know when they woke up? Was it really obvious. Did you have symptoms of vaginal atrophy in those 3 months, joint pain, insomnia etc?

Thanks much!! R
Unread 11-11-2009, 11:06 AM

I didn't have any tests because I was excepting them to go to sleep & wake up in a few months. I had the night sweats, hot flashes, fatigue, & yes total insomnia. I did not have any joint pain. My vagina didn't feel any different other than it was a tiny bit more dry. It was obvious when they woke up because the hot flashes stopped right away & the night sweats got much better quickly. I did have to take Ambein to sleep but I have always had trouble with that. I could also feel when I ovulated just like before & when it would be that time of the month my breasts get a little sore. I have since had everything checked & it is all good now. I hope that helps.
Unread 11-28-2009, 04:20 PM

Hello yeah i went through the same thing sister... you will make it through this crazy time... I had my ovaries and cervic taken in Aug 18th this year and hated the world and my self after... I started working out as soon as the Doctor gave the ok and it really helped me by 100%.. i was never a workout kind of person but i feel so much better... In time you will feel better and it may help by taking on something new... you have to wait to workout but maybe you can find something else to stay busy.. I really thank God i healed so well so fast and wish the best to all my sisters.. love you all
Unread 12-03-2009, 03:08 AM

Yup, had my op 6yrs ago, also undergone the same. No ovaries, no uterus, the hot flushes stopped at some stage (not a nice experience). I can still feel when it's suppose to be that time of the month (mood swings & tender breast), one thing though, I have picked a lot of weight & still suffer from insomnia, I have checked my hormone level last year, this is when I started picking a lot of weight without explanation. I'm still sceptic of taking any hormone replacements (I still have my overies anyway) or should I.
Unread 12-04-2009, 09:20 PM

hello ladies, i had my operation 5 years ago, I had a total hysterectomy as, but was able to keep my ovaries, everything has gone amazingly well for me over the years, but this last few months it is like all hell has broken loose, I am not sure what is going on, I having night sweats, itchy skin, gainig weight like crazy (which is very unusual for me) I find at work, when I am faced with the least little bit of stress, my body temperature rises like 20 degrees, does anyhow have any idea what is going on with me.?
Unread 12-14-2009, 08:59 AM

As I've been doing research myself since my hysterectomy only 3 months ago, I came across a presentation by Phillip Sarrell, MD who is a Yale Professor of gyn/endocrinology.
In a lecture he gave on Medline for Continuing Education for gyns he states:

"However, I would like to give people a heads-up on this, and that is that there are studies, including one of my own, that have looked at what happens to ovaries after the hysterectomy. And what we reported was that within 6 months of the operation -- regardless of the woman's age and regardless of the indication for the surgery -- within 6 months, 25% of the ovaries stopped working.
And by 3 years, 40% had stopped working. What that means is understanding how important ovarian function is. After the surgery with retention of the ovaries, it does become important for the gynecologist, the surgeon, whoever is caring for the woman, to pay attention to whether or not those ovaries are continuing to function normally."

Here is the link to the transcript:
http://cme.medscape.com/viewarticle/492739

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.