Anyone post op have a flat, toned tummy? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysteritaville - Wellness Post Hysterectomy > Hysteritaville General Discussions

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone post op have a flat, toned tummy? Anyone post op have a flat, toned tummy?

Unread 10-28-2009, 05:03 PM
Anyone post op have a flat, toned tummy?

I had my LAVH over a year ago. In the early months following my surgery, I felt like my lower abdomen was very full and heavy and "saggy". I figured that was the "swelly belly" everyone was talking about. Now, here I am 1 year and 2 mo post op and the problem is worse than ever! I feel like my internal organs have "fallen" forward....my lower stomach is really big and forms a crease and hangs over my underwear. I have been going to the gym and working on the abs, but it has not made any difference as of yet. Strange thing happened in Aerobics class, though, a woman started talking about her hysterectomy.... suddenly almost all of the over 40 women joined in the conversation - all having had a hysterectomy.....first of all, why are there so many? It troubled me that 10 of the 11 women in my class over that age 40 had had a "necessary" hysterectomy....really????????? Secondly, I noticed that NOT EVEN ONE of them had a flat stomach - most look like mine! Is my stomach destined to look like this forever????????? Is there anyone out there with a toned, flat tummy post hysterectomy??????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-28-2009, 06:16 PM
Re: Anyone post op have a flat, toned tummy?

spicyredhead,

The abs are tricky. Basically, women carry their weight around their midsection, hips, theighs. In order to have a smaller, firm tummy, you are going to have to REALLY work at it. Diet is KEY. And unfortunately the tummy is the hardest part.

My aerobics instructor had a hysterectomy, her tummy is FLAT. But, that is totally related to how much she exercises and how well she eats. As for me, when I am "cutting", I can get my belly pretty small. But, for the most part, I eat too much processed food and tend to have a little bit of a belly. But, everyone that sees me says how thin I am. What I see, not so much.

One thing I have learned since my lavh/bso is that I need to be happy and healthy. I do aerobics 5 days a week and lift weights 3 days a week. I FEEL great.

:bunnyhug:
Unread 10-28-2009, 06:27 PM

why did you have to scare all of us out there...Not looking forward to this watermelon not going away??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-29-2009, 03:13 PM

pueller,
Everyone is different, just because one person has an issue does not mean that you will also. This post was not meant to scare anyone, it is spicyredhead's experience and she is asking a question, which she has the right to do. Again, it certainly was not meant to "scare" you personally
Spicyredhead,
I am 11 years post op, my swollen belly is most likely from digestive problems, not necessarily a direct result of my tah/bso. I have had times where my abdomen was as flat as it was before surgery. Let me make that when I was well before the female problems started. Not that I never ever had totally flat abs, even in my teens. Perhaps those people in your class also never had "flat" abs. It is kind of amazing that I tend to notice women's pooches more now than I ever used to.
Unread 10-29-2009, 03:33 PM

i just had my lsh on tuesday and i noticed my stomach is smaller. however, i didn't have a small stomach to begin with. that's just from eating too much of the wrong food. I work out with a pt and i am hoping that i can get to where i want to be. that's is up to me. my girlfriend had a hyst. last summer she went in with a flat tummy and came out with a flat tummy. she works out with me as well. She was at one time overweight. With hard work and discipline she lost all the weight including unwanted belly fat. It's possible hard but possible
Unread 10-31-2009, 09:01 AM

The statistic I read online is that one in three women will have a hysterectomy in their lifetime. I know someone who had one and has a flat belly. I never knew she had one until I told her I was scheduled. There definitely is a lack of flat bellies out there... both with and without hysterectomies. I live in CA and young girls walking around half naked, even the thin ones, don't have flat stomachs. I think the media gives us a skewed vision of what 'normal' is.
Unread 10-31-2009, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket75 View Post
The statistic I read online is that one in three women will have a hysterectomy in their lifetime. I know someone who had one and has a flat belly. I never knew she had one until I told her I was scheduled. There definitely is a lack of flat bellies out there... both with and without hysterectomies. I live in CA and young girls walking around half naked, even the thin ones, don't have flat stomachs. I think the media gives us a skewed vision of what 'normal' is.
true
Unread 10-31-2009, 12:48 PM

Mine is. I do cardio 3-4 days a weight, light weights, and ab crunches. I'm 3 years post op. My eating is fairly clean and healthy. You gotta move to lose and keep it toned.

My stomach is flat and toned - not too thin or ribs sticking out.
Unread 10-31-2009, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speckla View Post
Mine is. I do cardio 3-4 days a weight, light weights, and ab crunches. I'm 3 years post op. My eating is fairly clean and healthy. You gotta move to lose and keep it toned.

My stomach is flat and toned - not too thin or ribs sticking out.
Copy that
Unread 11-05-2009, 02:39 AM

I am a year post op, and doing really well,feel back to normal. I never really had a flat stomach after I had my 3 girls.I had a 3kg fibroid, Which was removed by abdominal surgery, (a vertical scar of 6 inches).so was very swollen before op, now my stomach is smaller than it used to be and a different shape,I swim every day and do pilates and weights ocasionally.I am happy enough with how I look, and really happy that I feel so well and people tell me I look well.I know that to have a flat stomach you have to work very hard, and to be honest at my age (56) I don't think it is really that important,because I won't be showing off my stomach anyway. I feel fit and healthy and that is what matters.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register