HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Three days post-op, air bubbles stuck under my sternum, and ribs..ouch! Three days post-op, air bubbles stuck under my sternum, and ribs..ouch!

Unread 10-31-2009, 11:05 AM
Three days post-op, air bubbles stuck under my sternum, and ribs..ouch!

Hello fellow princesses! After two days in hospital, was released Oct 30th, worst part of surgery was the painful gas left inside my body (LAVH) . Still have air bubbles stuck under my sternum, ribs and shoulers. Luckyily I had my first BM yesterday, what a relief!! Bur now the gas stuck in my ribs is causing me to no be able to breath deeply. Anyone have any advice? Should I take GAS-X chewables or something? I have been walking around a bit, but trying not to overdue it. Other than this problem I came through pretty good so far. No hot flashes, yet. I had everything out, ovaries,cervix,tubes and uterus. Swelly belly band is great, I have not got it wet yet, I only wear it for support. The other thing that made me feel great was some wet huggies wipes with aloe, used to wipe my face several times in the hospital several times a day, smelled great and felt great!! thanks to this wonderful site , I felt alot better before going in for such a drastic surgery...and I appreciate all the advice the ladies have shared.
Unread 10-31-2009, 11:15 AM
Re: Three days post-op, air bubbles stuck under my sternum, and ribs..ouch!

Hi, I had the same thing for a few weeks (in fact even this week it came back- I am 5 weeks post op TVH)....

My Dr said take Zantac - I took 2 a day for at least 7 days and yes GasX - I also ate very little as big meals hurt! It was also made worse when I ate veggies (I always try to eat veggis for constipation) What a vicious cycle!

So Zantac and Gas-X is my recommendation...Best wishes sister!
Unread 10-31-2009, 04:26 PM

My doc. also said it takes time to get over what they do to our body during surgery. He said they strap you in and said in my case, I was almost upside down at one point. That can cause a lot of pain in the ribsw, shoulders, etc.
Unread 10-31-2009, 04:52 PM

I too had the gas bubbles and I found that walking really does help. The more you walk the more the gas moves where is should go. I also found that forcing myself to take deep breaths helped move the gas down and away from my shoulders and ribs. Get up and get moving, I am two weeks post op and feeling great. Went for a couple longer walks this past week and enjoying the fresh outdoor air. I am going back to work next week....can't wait to get on with my life.
Unread 10-31-2009, 09:30 PM

Heat helps. They gave me heating pads in the hospital. Like the others said walking. And as I learned to day small meals. I can hardly eat anything. I don't have pain in my ribs or shoulder anymore. But it is around the belly button. I'm quite sure you guys know what I'm talking about. I had a chicken sandwich from wendy's bad mistake. Took me forever to eat it and once I couldn't take anymore I threw it away. OOPS too late the gas pains was so intense I cried like a baby. tried to walk and was frozen in pain. My daughter, went and warmed up my heating pad, I sat very slowly on the side of the bed and just let it subside. Oh that lovely heat got in moving in the right direction. Out the back door.
Unread 10-31-2009, 10:35 PM

Thanks ladies!!! I will try to walk more, take deep breaths and the heating pads!! You are all wonderful, God Bless you!! and Speedy recovery to all...I feel like I have the beginning of a new life! Alice 45

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.