HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Anyone have a rectocele repair after a sacral colpopexy? Anyone have a rectocele repair after a sacral colpopexy?

Unread 11-04-2009, 12:51 PM
Anyone have a rectocele repair after a sacral colpopexy?

Hi sisters, it's been a while since I posted here.

I had a stage lll pelvic prolapse, (cystocele, rectocele, rectal prolapse, uterus and vaginal vault). I had lived with this condition for many years but decided it was time to fix things as they were progressing.

This year in March, I had a hysterectomy, TVT sling, rectopexy and a sacral colpopexy. I had a small complication with the sling, but a second small procedure fixed that issue.

Immediately following the surgery, I had more extrem bowel issues, and just couldn't go without really straining hard.. and eventually found that Miralax and fleet suppositories would help.

Long story short.. my uro-gyn felt I had a "redundant" colon, and that it was now causing a mechanical obstruction. I was sent to a GI dr. for colonoscopy, and then a colo-rectal surgeon. Since March I have had 2 more defecograms, sitz marker study, pelvic MRI and a barium enema. From the beginning, my colo-rectal doctor expressed concern about the mesh... he absolutely was not keen on surgery because of the fear that damage would be done, and I would end up with a permanent ostomy bag. (these 2 doctors do work together - same building, and are friends) My uro-gyn acted like it was no big deal, and that he was fimilar that it has happened before in his career.

Anyway, cutting down on the story... colo-rectal surgeon brought all case and reports and x rays before a whole board of doctors... My test show that I still have the rectocel that I had before - just it is not as large, but it does still retain stool. I also have an extremly redundant, twisted and prolpased - it needs to come out so that I can hopefully go to the bathroom better. I'm scheduled for surgery next month. All these tests were done because they said they wanted to address all hidden issues, so that I only have to have one surgery... well, I found out that the colon surgeon will not touch the rectocele because it is "to large a risk" with the mesh. I went into my first surgery confident that my mesh would not be an issue (so far so good - no erosion or anything) but now I'm wondering if others who had this mesh, ever had a reaccurring rectocele that was fixed. Maybe the uro-gyn does it a different way and it's not a concern... or is it a concern that I could end up with permenant rectal damage?

I'm hoping someone here on hystersisters can share their experience!
Unread 11-05-2009, 12:11 AM
Re: Anyone have a rectocele repair after a sacral colpopexy?

*Princess* Sorry you have to have another surgery. I don't have mesh, but did have a rectocele repair with my hyst. A year later, I had a colectomy. I had a redundant colon, though that was not the reason for the surgery.

I just wanted to suggest that you get another opinion, and research and ask questions about life after a colectomy. It's not a walk in the park. Recovery took me a good year, and I will never have normal eating or bowel habits, ever. I don't have any regrets because I had to have the surgery or I'd undoubtedly be dead by now. However, if I'd had a choice I don't know that I'd have gone through with it knowing what I know now about how hard it is to live with the aftermath.

I've posted the details of my surgery and recovery on this site, so if you wish you can do a search and find the posts - just search on "colectomy" and that ought to do it.

If you do go ahead with the surgery, I wish you the best.

s,
-Linda

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.