HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Abnormal Pap Smear After Hysterectomy Abnormal Pap Smear After Hysterectomy

Unread 11-06-2009, 04:50 AM
Abnormal Pap Smear After Hysterectomy

Hello; I just had my first gyno exam & pap smear last month since my hysterectomy (Uterus,cervix removed;kept ovaries, A&P repairs) back in July 2008. They called me yesterday and said there were abnormal cells, HPV results were negative. I asked if it was pre-cancerous and she said yes but 'sometimes cells heal themselves'. (that seems odd to me) I have to go back in January for another pap smear. I"m curious if any one else has experienced this ? Thank you.
Unread 11-06-2009, 06:26 AM
Re: Abnormal Pap Smear After Hysterectomy

I am wondering if you had the cervix removed, are you meaning that they did a pap of the vaginal or vulval tissue?

I am now 6 weeks post-op and having burning and irritation in the vulva, so on my 4 week check they did do a pap of the vulval tissue. The doctor, however said that since there is no cervix, if this is negative, I would no longer need to get a pap smear at annual exams.

If your HPV results were negative - I am assuming they may have even picked up inflammatory cells. Were you having any symptoms?

Wish I could add more- but just confused about why they did the pap for you in the first place. Was your hysterectomy for benign disease?

Best Always, Robyn
Unread 11-06-2009, 09:03 AM

Yes my cervix was removed and, in general, my surgery was for a variety of problems (prolapsed uterus, fybroids, A&P repairs, etc.). My current Doctor and, my doctor who did the surgery (who has since left), both believe in continuing pap smears even after surgery. My current doctor stated that even though your cervix is removed, tiny pieces might remain in the vaginal cuff and, also, vaginal cancer is a risk, too, so to be safe it a good idea to have it done. I'm hoping this is simply some kind of infection or irritation that was picked up and my next one will be ok. Thanks for your reply.
Unread 11-06-2009, 11:04 AM

Thanks IrishMari,
I really appreciate your sharing that information about why to still get Pap smears after cervix removal. I did wonder about vaginal cancer. I put a call in today to see what the results of my pap of the vulva was from 2 weeks ago. I thought they were just testing for HPV (which I've never had) - but will be interesting if they pick up other abnormalities in the cells. As I said, I've been suffering with burning and irritation. Also going to check the hormone levels in case there is a shortage of estrogen (ovaries left but maybe sleeping). Appreciate your insight and I wish you all the best. Robyn
Unread 11-06-2009, 04:40 PM

I had my first abnormal pap ever and I am almost 2 yrs out. They say it can be inflamation or just atrophy from lack of estrogen. They finally put me on Premarin cream to see if it would help rejuvenate the tissues.
Unread 11-07-2009, 02:49 PM

absolutely, you still want to get pap smears and hpv testing even after a hysterectomy! vaginal dysplasia may be unusual but it's not rare.

and, i think the 'pre-cancer' term is mis-used. most dysplasia won't develop into cancer, but some will. you may want to find out if you had LGSIL (low grade, mild dysplasia) shown on the pap, and sometimes that can occur with vaginal atrophy, particularly if the hpv test was negative. of course, be sure to follow up!
Unread 11-07-2009, 03:59 PM

My TAH/BSO is next week...I am told I will continue with Paps as a biopsy required due to abnormal pap showed ASCUS...urine shows blood, red blood cells and protien...I am currently on Lupron

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.