HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

New, Worried About Complex Ovarian Mass New, Worried About Complex Ovarian Mass

Unread 11-06-2009, 05:35 AM
New, Worried About Complex Ovarian Mass

First off, what a wonderful site connecting such compassionate women! Thank you for doing this.

I feel like I'm in a dream a bit. I went to my pcp only for a routine physical to get a document signed for insurance purposes. While there, she discovered some tenderness in my lower left abdomen. I had been having some mild tenderness in this area for about a month or so, but wasn't going to mention anything -- it wasn't really bad. (Also have become accustomed to having an upset stomach -- just thought it was part of everyday life and stress related. Again, nothing too bad.) She also felt a thickening in my breast. To be cautious, she ordered diagnostic mammogram and pelvic ultra sound. Did that this morning.

I was more concerened about the mammogram...but that came back fine. This afternoon, I got a call from my pcp, concerned about my us report -- discovered 6.3 cm complex mass on my left ovary being at least 50% solid. (Don't have a copy of the report, so that's about all I recall from the conversation, except her stating that this something I needed to follow-up with very soon.) She had me come to the office today for a CA-125 blood test and to retest my vitamin d (was found to be vitamin d deficiency in January 2009.) Obviously no results yet. I am suppose to go see my ob/gyn in the next couple of days before I leave for out of town on business.

I never expected to be dealing with any of this -- just wanted a routine physical. I did have a simple cyst on same ovary that was removed when I had a tubal ligation just over two years ago.

I don't know what to expect...could this be cancer...could it grow so fast....what should I be asking...could it be the cause of other "mild" stomach/back pain, fatigue, depression issues I've been having -- again all mild, not severe enough to cause me to go to the doctor. What will they do? Surgery? I'm only 35 married to a wonderful husband and have two great boys. My grandmother had ovarian cancer that spread to her liver...but she was in her 60's when she was diagnosed.

Any thoughts/advice is greatly appreciated!!!! Thank you!
Unread 11-06-2009, 09:36 PM
Re: New, Worried About Complex Ovarian Mass

Just want to send ((hugs)). I had a complex cyst on my right ovary several years ago. It ended up being borderline ovarian cancer and my ovary was removed. 10 years later I'm doing fine. Hoping for the best for you - please keep us updated.
Unread 11-06-2009, 10:51 PM

Your story sounds pretty close to mine ... i am probably just a couple weeks ahead of you. My mass was found on an ultrasound on Oct 21st after my primary doctor noticed some lower abdominal tenderness. So far I am still in the process of getting more test and finding out what is going to happen next. I am 33 with 2 boys. How old are your boys?

It is scary and vary hard to do life as always when you have this worry over your head. I don't have any great words of wisdom for you. But just know that I understand exactly where you are since I am right there with you. If you need to vent your stress or fears please feel free. Your feelings will be completely understood here. (((((hugs))))) I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
Unread 11-15-2009, 07:20 PM

I am sorry to hear this. I am also in a scare, a ct scan showed a 28cm fluid filled mass on my right ovary. I'm scheduled for a complete hysterectomy next week. My ca-125 level was 44, but my period had just started, and stress. My oncologist is leaning towards non cancerous, I wish you the best. I know how scary it is.
Unread 11-15-2009, 09:43 PM

I'm also in that, "It could be cancer, could not be.." limbo. I will require a total hysterectomy either way. I'm one of only a hand-full of women in my family who have a uterus. We have cancers and non-cancer diseases that all require hysterectomies. Usually by the age of 35 and I'm 34.5. My younger sister (32) is looking at a hysterectomy as well.

So far I've been focusing on accepting the idea of surgery, etc. And, I've been focusing on mentally preparing for any testing (biopsies, imaging, etc) that the doctors feel are necessary.

I figure I can read through the site and make lists of useful things to get for surgery, make lists of questions to ask the doctors, and all that jazz. My husband and I have been slowly stocking up on soups and cleaning supplies so he and the kids can take care of things while I'm healing.

I've pretty much found that being productive and proactive about things has helped me keep my sanity. The "what if"s occasionally take over, but I think that's inevitable to some extent.

I hope some of that helps. Let us know how it goes for you. I wish you all the best.
Unread 11-16-2009, 04:29 PM

Thinking of you~ I too am scheduled for TAH next week. A ct scan showed a fluid filled mass. I have cried so much, I am 37, and a Mom of 2 children. We can do this, lets be strong together.
Unread 11-16-2009, 05:10 PM

I don't have a large one but know where your coming from and it is very scary, some ppl. just don't understand. Me, I have a grown 22 year old daughter and 8 month old miracle grandchild that live with me. I never expected a simple cyst that I had for 2 years to start to change and thicken and they are saying that "could be ovarian cancer". I go this Friday for my hysterectomy...im just scared to death right now wondering about what will be found!
Unread 11-28-2009, 11:45 AM

I went in for what I thought would be a simple UTI because I was having some pain on the right side of my abdomen. My urine test came back in normal limits so they ordered a ultrasound and found that I have a mass on my right ovary about the size of a golf ball. The doctor then told me the reason for the pain was because it was possibly bleeding. I've been not my self for about a month now having some mild symptoms like fatigue, bowel problems, frequent urination and nausea it feels like pregnacy symptoms. Has anyone else felt this way with the mass? I went to my OB GYN and was examined and had surgery scheduled shortly after the report was read. I'm a young woman who is a nervous wreck any feed back would be greatly appreciated I running out of time, Surgery is Thursday!
Unread 11-28-2009, 11:55 AM

Wezzy...(((HUGS)))...I went in for a uti, kidney stones. They ordered a ct scan..found a mass of 28cm. on my right ovaries. This was 2 weeks ago, I was a complete mess. My surgery was this pass Monday, all went well...have lost 22 lbs. The cyst was benign. Hang in there, I know how scary it is. I had a TAH...never wan't to be scared like that again, I'm 37.
Unread 12-15-2009, 05:23 PM

I just need to let off some anxiety and get this off my chest even if it is just as a post. So I called on Friday to make my four week follow-up appointment following my surgery. While doing that I asked to talk with the nurse to see if my pathology results came back yet. she was very nice and told me the pelvic wash report as back and indicated that there was no evidence of maligant cells -- great news. Don't really know what the cells are, but just happy that they are not malignant -- that was enough for me. She told me to call on Monday and she should have the pathology of the mass they removed. Great. So I waited until today to call.

I get the same nurse and she calls up my results and reads to me again the pelvic wash report -- good. Then obviously she was looking at the pathology of the mass and said is "there a best number that Dr. Z can reach you at?" I gave her my cell phone. her words again, "I'm certain Dr. Z. has not seen this yet and she will need to call you."

What does that mean? I know that Dr. Z most likely never saw the pelvic washing results as she does surgeries on Friday and that's when the result was received. Yet the nurse shared with me. I know I am probably looking way too much into this....but I am a little freaked out.

Okay now I feel a bit better -- get this out. More waiting!!!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.