HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

hysterectomy and hypothyroidism link? hysterectomy and hypothyroidism link?

Unread 11-07-2009, 10:33 AM
hysterectomy and hypothyroidism link?

Is there anyone out there that has hypothyroidism or 'subclinical hypothyroidism" that has had a change in their thyroid function after their hysterectomy? If so at what number level were you on your blood work before the hysterectomy, and then what was your level after the hysterectomy?

If you do have hypothyroidism what level were you before your doctor and you decided you needed medicine as a treatment and did it help?

Does anyone know why a hysterectomy would cause it to become worse? Thanks in advance to anyone who knows all this and answers me K
Unread 11-07-2009, 10:37 AM
Re: hysterectomy and hypothyroidism link?

Well, my answer to this might be a bit more complicated than most, but I'll try to keep it simple. My thyroid was slightly low before the hyst. After the hyst., I tried to reintroduce my thyroid meds, but because of some palpitations, my doc. said I could put it off. I put it off too long, resulting in much stronger hypothyroid symptoms. I have been back on about 3 weeks and feel much better.

I know that the thyroid type hormones and the estrogen, etc. does or can affect each other. I just don't know how.
Unread 11-07-2009, 12:21 PM

My answer will be a little complicated too. I was hypothyroid before the surgery and my dr. put me on a low dose (25 mcg) of levothyroxine. He said it was probably too low of a dose but wanted to wait and recheck my levels after my surgery. When I had the retesting it was still low and he doubled the dose to 50 mcg, which he says is still a fairly low dose. This all happened at about the 10 wk post-op point and I swear that it was enough to nudge me into feeling more energetic. I also noticed my hair loss slowed down but perhaps that's just coincidental.
Unread 11-07-2009, 12:48 PM

Hi there! I am hypothyroid I take Armour Thyroid. I had my level checked right before surgery and my T4 was in the 'normal' range. So far I feel fine, I haven't had to adjust my dose or anything. I have had some night sweats and stuff like that but I don't know if it's the hysterectomy or the thyroid!! I'll have my level checked again at my 6 week appointment.
Unread 11-07-2009, 12:55 PM

I think it is more related to menopause, surgical or natural, that is the answer. After I developed thyroid problems about 7 years ago, I found out that both my grandmother and my aunt had thyroid issues when they were going thru natural menopause. You can find a good article about this at www.hormonejungle.com
Unread 11-07-2009, 02:13 PM

Thanks ladies,

The reason I ask is in March of this year after complaining to the doctor of not feeling right, losing hair and having a really hard time losing weight ( it comes off really slow and I am/have been for a year on the medifast diet of under 1200 calories a day) they did a blood test. The level of my tsh was 3.20.
I had it re-tested the month of my hysterectmy July (pre-op blood work) and my tsh was 3.39.
Now last week I asked for a complete work-up again before an unrelated surgery I am scheduled for next week and my tsh is now at 3.91.

When I did some research on the internet some sites say I should be on meds and some say I am normal, which is also what my gp says. Why then still the hair loss and the fatigue? All the other tests are good, including my hormones.The ovaries are working fine....What was your tsh level before you started medication and did it help with weight loss, hair loss and fatigue. I read somewhere that once you start the meds you can never stop, is that true? Thanks again, sorry to bug you all with this , but I am so tired of feeling tired! K
Unread 11-07-2009, 03:09 PM

karezee - here's the results I had this past year. 4/09 - 4.40. That's when he put me on the low dose of thyroid meds. We retested in 5/09 and it was 4.35. He said then that he wanted to wait until after my surgery to retest me and that's when it was 2.98 but he said that was still to high and doubled my dosage. He didn't ask me to retest after that. I too had read online that altho WNL is up to 5, most dr's, especially endocrinolgists, like to see it below 3. I was surprised when my dr. wasn't happy with it at 2.98 but I do feel better on a higher dosage of meds.
Unread 11-07-2009, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karezee64 View Post
Thanks ladies,

The reason I ask is in March of this year after complaining to the doctor of not feeling right, losing hair and having a really hard time losing weight ( it comes off really slow and I am/have been for a year on the medifast diet of under 1200 calories a day) they did a blood test. The level of my tsh was 3.20.
I had it re-tested the month of my hysterectmy July (pre-op blood work) and my tsh was 3.39.
Now last week I asked for a complete work-up again before an unrelated surgery I am scheduled for next week and my tsh is now at 3.91.

When I did some research on the internet some sites say I should be on meds and some say I am normal, which is also what my gp says. Why then still the hair loss and the fatigue? All the other tests are good, including my hormones.The ovaries are working fine....What was your tsh level before you started medication and did it help with weight loss, hair loss and fatigue. I read somewhere that once you start the meds you can never stop, is that true? Thanks again, sorry to bug you all with this , but I am so tired of feeling tired! K
When I started my tsh was actually in the normal range. But my thyroid antibodies (separate test) were quite high. I had read that some thyroid docs. won't treat for high antibodies and symptoms alone, and some would. I found an endocrinologist, and he was willing to try a low dose. I figured you have, but have you googled for a good site that lists hypothyroid symptoms?

As far as once you start, you can't stop, that would be true for someone whose levels are definitely out of normal range. My gp didn't want to treat either. It made a big difference for me in some of my hypothyroid symptoms.

Of course, everyone has a different combo. of symptoms, but I had tingling feet, being cold when no one else was, constipation, tired and sluggish.

Take care,

Unread 11-07-2009, 04:47 PM

Thanks Catarina- It sounds as if my levels are a bit under yours. My gp wants me to do another test in 4-6 months. He told me a hysterectomy can play with the thyroid , but of course I did not ask why! Perhaps in a few months it will be lower? Time will tell. I have none of this in my family history and not to thrilled it will start with me! I was tired before the surgery and just not sure if the current tired feeling is from healing from the surgery or the thyroid.

Reliefseeker -Thanks for your input again too! I have no tingling feet , but I do have fatigue. Thanks for letting me know you can not stop the meds once you start, thats what I thought. Have a good night ladies! K
Unread 11-07-2009, 10:32 PM

I didn't mean to say you cannot stop the meds once you start. Unless you are on a high dose, you probably could stop once you started. And if you're not sure if you need it or not or have questionable levels, you wouldn't be needing a high dose probably.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway