HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

How long did you wait before resuming sex? How long did you wait before resuming sex?

Unread 11-07-2009, 08:54 PM
How long did you wait before resuming sex?

I had my LAVH on 10-2-09. This is week 5 and the doctor said absolutely NOTHING was to go in there until after 6 weeks. I had my post-op exam at 4.5 weeks and just that little 'exam' was slightly painful. All he did was "take a peek" inside...enough to tell me that I had not healed enough internally to resume work. That pretty much told me sex would most likely not be resumed even at 6 weeks! Whoa!

I would like some feedback on this "sensitive" subject. I don't have what I would call a very high libido and I have a very understanding and patient DH. So I'm just wondering what to expect in this category as the time passes and we "explore" the new territory in the future.

Thanks!
c6g14
Unread 11-07-2009, 09:05 PM
Re: How long did you wait before resuming sex?

Hello!! a lot of people on here have resumed sex early and have reported LOTS of pain. I recommend NOT doing that! I havent resumed yet so I couldnt tell you but I am NOT going to risk it!
Unread 11-07-2009, 09:12 PM

Waiting until you are completely ready is a good idea. We waited a bit past the 6 weeks the doctor said to wait for. I had trouble myself getting past the fear but there wasn't any pain--just my own nerves that made it difficult. You just need to take it slow and don't be disappointed if it's not all that you hope it to be for a while. I'm still maintaining patience that all will be normal soon.
Unread 11-07-2009, 09:43 PM

I agree...where's the fire?? I waited about 8-9 weeks and was so nervous I couldn't enjoy it at all. I had an abdominal hyster so I am in a slightly different place than you. However, I remember my incision hurting from the friction and the sweat so I can't imagine what the inside would feel like. I kept my cervix but there were still stitches in there that I had to be mindful of. My boyfriend was very kind and gentle but it still hurt kinda like it had before surgery. I was so nervous about getting an infection or bleeding that it took a good month after that first time before I really allowed myself to enjoy sex and stop worrying about any 'side effects'.

I think that maybe you can start with 'outtercourse' and go from there. It has likely been awhile since you had the rush of blood that comes with arousal and that was a little painful for me as well. Take it slow and allow yourself as much time as you need. I am glad to hear that your DH is by your side. I work as an operating room tech at a Women's hospital and see TVH's all day. You have had alot of trauma in the area and healing right the first time is the best thing for you.

Liz, 32
SAH w BSO
Unread 11-08-2009, 11:57 AM

Thanks Ladies! It was slightly painful before I had surgery (had 8 fibroids! Doc thought I only had two!).... and DH is very observant and could tell if I wasn't "enjoying" it just by looking at my face. And as he would tell me over and over, HE could not enjoy it and it was actually a "turn off" if he thought he was hurting me in any way. So I am lucky to have him, that is for sure! His nickname for me since we have been married is "Princess"... so HysterSisters was right up his alley. ha ha....

Someone mentioned stitches... is that why on my 4.5 week post-op appointment that the doc said I "had not healed enough internally" yet?? He explained things to me, but I still have questions. He showed me on a poster how he has taken out my uterus and my cervix - but left my tubes and ovaries (there was a small cyst on right ovary - but it was not big enough to warrant taking the complete ovary).

I am a high school teacher and he knows how much walking and standing I have to do on an "average" day. He said I was no where near what I needed to be to resume that kind of 'work'.

I go back on the 17th for him to take another "peek" inside. Why haven't I healed enough?? I have done EVERYTHING just like he said.... no lifting... lots of rest...eating right...lots of water, juice, fluids... getting up and moving around carefully.... going outside and walking around the house and going out to where our 2 dogs are (don't worry - they are well trained and know they cannot JUMP up on mommy!)... the only thing is I have fallen TWICE. Doc said that was NOT the reason I haven't healed enough internally.... he didn't see any bleeding and I have not seen any either since it all cleared up after the surgery...

With a LAVH, how long should I expect to be healed enough internally to return to being a high school teacher?

I made the mistake of BRAGGING that I'd be back in THREE WEEKS...ugggh....boy was I wrong! I didn't have a clue what I was in for, eh? Every time I would say that prior to surgery, my doc and nurse would just look at each other and grin. He is so good to me!

Anyway - please send your thoughts on this. I was so sad when he told me I couldn't go back yet and my next appointment is on Nov. 17th. I had to put in a request for more sick days from the sick bank because I am going to run out before the 17th!!

Thanks for all your advice and encouragement.... I just LOVE this website! It is a good thing there is more than one computer in this house.... DH would have to do without looking up Nascar, football, auto parts, etc. if there was only one computer here!

Hope you all have a blessed day!

c6g14
Unread 11-08-2009, 12:05 PM

My doctor said nothing until 6 weeks after. I have an appointment with her on Nov. 30th. So I am counting down the days. My DH is pretty patient.
Unread 11-08-2009, 12:09 PM
"Trauma in that area".... please help...

I am going to copy/paste part of a message that I have questions/concerns about and hope you all can help me:

I think that maybe you can start with 'outtercourse' and go from there. It has likely been awhile since you had the rush of blood that comes with arousal and that was a little painful for me as well. Take it slow and allow yourself as much time as you need. I am glad to hear that your DH is by your side. I work as an operating room tech at a Women's hospital and see TVH's all day. You have had alot of trauma in the area and healing right the first time is the best thing for you.

I've read many posts in this regard in different areas of this website. With a LAVH, can someone elaborate a little more on the trauma inside? Especially since I just had my first post-op appointment on Nov. 3rd and the doctor told me that I had not "healed enough internally" for him to release me yet. I know they used gas/air to "inflate" me.... and I should probably tell you all that this was my VERY FIRST SURGERY EVER, and I'm 43 y/o. Everything is so NEW to me.... I thought I was going to faint at the PRE-OP appointment when the sweet nurse handed me the ENEMA package and told me, "Don't worry - you can't do it more than THREE times." aggggh!!!! I was like, "WHAT?!! I don't even want to do it ONCE! I've never ever ever done an enema before!" Everyone has had a lot of "fun" at my expense.... but I'm a good sport... lol.

Just please help me better understand why the doc can SEE that I haven't healed enough "internally".... and how long it might be before he does. I had 8 fibroids and no longer have my uterus or cervix. But I still have my tubes and both ovaries.

Thanks!

c6g14
Unread 11-08-2009, 12:15 PM

Roxy -
That's exactly what my doctor said - but at my 4.5 week exam - it was VERY uncomfortable when he inserted that COLD silver instrument to take a "peek" inside...and that wasn't even all the way up inside of me!! I was like, "Oh boy!! This should be verrrrrry interesting! I cannot even fathom a little romp in the sack... even if DH and I go very slow!" OH my, just the thought of it makes me nervous and honestly makes me kind of hurt to think about it! Whew! I hope your recovery goes very smooth and no major problems for you!

c6g14
Unread 11-08-2009, 12:19 PM

Rachel -

Your surgery was just a little over a week after mine, so hopefully we can stay in touch and help each other through this "sensitive" subject. Whew!

I giggle every time I see your quote about your name being rachel raye - but you're not a good cook.... I bet you are a good cook - maybe we're not as creative as the girl on TV....but who says you have to be THAT creative to be "good"?

Hope you have a good day!

c6g14
Unread 11-08-2009, 05:10 PM

Hi,

I had LAVH 9/24. I got the OK to have sex on Nov 2nd, which was my 6wk checkup. Though the internal exam did not hurt, my husband and I tried having sex two times after that. Not only was it painful, but emotionally I was not ready yet. Last night after a few drinks, I was calm enough to try, and we suceeded, but still a bit painful. He had to go VERY slow. So for my it was 6wks and 3days. I wanted to wait until everything was healed, and my DR told me my cuff was healed. But emotinally I was not ready to have sex that night.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.