HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

When did you start exercising after surgery? When did you start exercising after surgery?

Unread 11-10-2009, 10:21 PM
When did you start exercising after surgery?

I used to work out 4 to 5 times a week doing Jillian Michaels work out dvds and Billy Blanks Tae Bo. My surgery was Oct 28. I had the davinci surgery and feel great (except pain before bms). I know I can't do hard core exercise like before my surgery, but I feel like I can start out very light. I feel like everyday I am losing out on working out and don't want to gain weight.
When did you start exercising after your surgery?

Thanks,
Christal
Unread 11-10-2009, 10:26 PM
Re: When did you start exercising after surgery?

I was given a 10-lb. weight lifting limit, nothing to strain the abs, and walking only for six weeks after my TVH. At six weeks, I began weights and running again but was still so exhausted that I couldn't do much without requiring a nap afterward! I think it would be best to call your doctor and get specific instructions from him/her.

Erica
Unread 11-10-2009, 10:29 PM

Thanks Erica
I was giving a 10-lb lifting limit, too. I think I will call dr. tomorrow. My post-op appt was today and totaly forgot to ask about exercise and when I can start HRT. I was told to wait because of all the endometriosis that was found inside but was not giving an actual date to start HRT.
Christal
Unread 11-11-2009, 04:37 AM

I was told the same. I am in my 5 month post op and everyday I feel different I am not sleeping well, I wake up late so sometimes I do not have enough time in a day to do all I want or used to. Each day I try to do a different type of exercise for stetching, strenghing and flexability. I rest some days and donot do anything but relax. Some days I feel like I have energy somtimes I feel very weak. I was told by my mother and aunt who both had hysts. It can take 6-12 months for the body to go back to normal.

I say listen to your body.
Unread 11-11-2009, 09:25 AM

Thanks Divi,
Sounds like my two weeks out is way too early to even start out lightly. It's so hard to relax and do nothing. I guess I better just take it easy until the 5 or 6 week mark.
When did you ladies return back to work? I am returning tomorrow.
Christal
Unread 11-11-2009, 09:35 AM

I had a TLH. My doctor said that I could start doing stretching exercises at 4 weeks. No weight lifting or impact though.

At 6 weeks post op I was released to exercise and I started back on a one mile power walk (includes kicks and knee lifts etc) with Leslie Sansone on exercise tv. I tried the two mile walk last Saturday and had pain for two days and had to take advil again. (my dr has ordered an ultra sound for tomorrow to make sure everything is healing as it should since I still have occasional pain). I'll be glad to know what's going on so I don't have to worry about doing harm if I push myself.

I have also been told by my mom and aunt that total healing can take months. So I guess we just have to have a little patience with ourselves!
Unread 11-11-2009, 09:48 AM

I had a RASLH on Oct. 6th, and went back to the gym at 3 weeks, just to get out of the house and to move gently. I went to my regular Spin class but gently pedaled till I felt warm, but didn't raise my heart rate above 100 BPM. Then I did light weights on a bench without using any core. Just simple curls and presses with 5-8 lb weights ( I usually use 10-15 pounds or more). Again, very careful to not engage my core.

I've been lifting and working out hard since I was 15 (I'm 34 now), so I know how to isolate and how to keep my heart rate low. And I bounce back quickly as my body is just so used to being active. Spent last week in Mexico on the beach, taking long walks with dh with no problems other than my arthritis acting up from the unstable sand

I plan to start back in earnest next week at the gym--again, working slowly back to my old self, leaving ab work for a few more weeks. I start back at my dog-walking volunteer position today--3 hours walking dogs. Can't wait!
Unread 11-11-2009, 09:52 AM

I had a partial abdominal hysterectomy (PAH? New to the forum...) on May 28. I was also on a 10-lb limit for 6 weeks, and was hopeful I'd be back in the gym for light workouts after 8 to 10 weeks. I was wrong. Although my surgeon cleared me for working out after 8 weeks, she basically said if you can feel it, don't do it. I just started working out early October -- so it took 4 or so months to feel ready. Once I started I listened to my body and didn't push it at all. Walking was the only thing I'd been able to do for a few months, but now I'm up to 5-lb weights (woo hoo!). Just be careful, listen to your body, and if you feel a "pull" or any pain, stop. Don't push it! And remember, the body is real slow to heal that last 20%. But you'll get there, so hang in there!
Unread 01-22-2010, 09:59 AM

I am new to this site. My first post so bare with me please :-) I had my surgery Oct 28th 2009 (radical) I feel great and have started back full speed ahead. But the last couple days I have had some pain on the right side. That is were I had the most problems with endo and scare tissue. I don't want to slow down on the workouts. I worked so hard to loose 30 pounds and then I gained back 10 of it after surgery. So I found this site and wanted to see if this is normal. Then I hear allt his stuff about 6 months to a year and all the things you can do to harm yourself. Now that has me worried. Any suggestions?
Unread 01-22-2010, 10:27 AM

I had a DVH 12/3109 and was released to start back doing *light* exercise starting next week. He was very specific in what I could and couldn't do....no ab or core work, no weights > 10 lbs. He did approve me for a light workout on the elliptical x 10 minutes and gradually adding a few minutest each time.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.