HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

How long should steri-strips stay on? How long should steri-strips stay on?

Unread 11-12-2009, 06:37 PM
How long should steri-strips stay on?

I'm 3.5 weeks out from my TAH. My doctor did dissolvable stitches internally for my incision and put some steri-strips on the outside. I was told the strips would lose their stick, and as they did I could trim them up but eventually they'd fall off.

I swear, these things aren't going anywhere! I shower daily. Clean the area as I was told. Use the blow dryer to properly dry them off. However, there has been very little release. My tummy is far from flat, and the incision is under my "still waiting to lose that baby weight from the twins I had 10-yrs ago".

I was wondering what other sisters have experienced when it comes to shedding their steri-strips. I promise not to pull them off....I'm just curious!
Unread 11-12-2009, 07:05 PM
Re: How long should steri-strips stay on?

I had my TAH same day as you and my Dr told me to take them off after a week. I took them off myself.

How are you feeling? Do you have any discharge? Just curious since we have the same surgery date!
Jo
Unread 11-12-2009, 07:23 PM

Hi there,

I had my TAH on 22nd October so we're all round much the same date. Same as you, internal stitiches with steri strips on the outside and they were definitely not coming loose at all. I was showering, washing the area and then blow drying as well.

My discharge notes from the doctor said they could be taken off after day 10 so out of curiosity I pulled one away while in the shower but - yikes - it looked open still so I slapped it back on quick-smart! It just so happens that out of about 12 steri-strips I pulled away, that was the only one that had a particularly red and bulging 'stitch'.

So then a couple of days later (day 12-ish) I lay on the bed and gradually picked away at them and took them all off. I was just so curious! All was absolutely fine underneath except that the one I thought was open initially was still very red and raised. When I went to the Dr for my post-op visit last Monday, she thought it was one of the dissolving stitches underneath that was raising it up but said that as it was now closed, all should be fine once the stitch underneath has dissolved. And it does seem to be getting better each day.

So, in answer to your question, taking off my steri-strips after 10 days was fine.

Jo, in answer to your reply, I have not had any discharge at all, at least nothing different from the small amount of clear discharge that I would normally have.

Hope your post-op path to recovery continues to go well. I must say, I thought I'd be feeling a tad better by week 3 than I actually am!

Alea
Unread 11-12-2009, 07:24 PM

i just had my steri strips put on yesterday after they pulled the staples out. the nurse told me they would be on about a week or so.. and that once they were not touching my incision anymore i could pull them off. i know every place is different.. maybe put a call into you drs nurse and ask her about them coming off.
Unread 11-12-2009, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanne_15 View Post
I had my TAH same day as you and my Dr told me to take them off after a week. I took them off myself.

How are you feeling? Do you have any discharge? Just curious since we have the same surgery date!
Jo
Thanks Jo. I had some rose colored discharge last week (week 2) but it stopped on Monday. So far nothing new. I feel good. Bowels back to regular and I don't feel every bit of gas passing through. Bladder is still sore if I let it get too full. I get some pulling along my incision, but for the most part my lower abdomen is still numb.

You? Did you have a TAH? Thankfully, I was left with my ovaries.
Unread 11-12-2009, 08:51 PM

I left mines on until I saw my Dr at 4weeks. He told me I should have removed them after a week!!! The nurse however told me to let them "fall" off - which would have been almost impossible since I still have a hanging pooch that held those poor steristrips on for dear life.

Anyway, if you are instructed to remove them make sure they are wet!
Unread 11-12-2009, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamonthego View Post
I left mines on until I saw my Dr at 4weeks. He told me I should have removed them after a week!!! The nurse however told me to let them "fall" off - which would have been almost impossible since I still have a hanging pooch that held those poor steristrips on for dear life.

Anyway, if you are instructed to remove them make sure they are wet!
Thanks for the advice! My hanging pooch is doing the same! Tomorrow, I'm going to see what I can do post shower!
Unread 11-12-2009, 09:33 PM

i had mine on for 4 weeks. they werent coming off at all like I was told. One night I just used a warm wash cloth to get them wet and they came right off...
Unread 11-14-2009, 05:37 AM

Thanks for the tips on how to remove the strips. I've been dreading removing my them, after my dr said to, after 7 days. My TAH was on Nov, 3rd.
Unread 11-14-2009, 06:31 AM

My doc said they needed to stay on for ten days- I waited eleven. They came off without any problem, I do not know if it is because my belly is still totally numb around the incision. I did not feel a thing when they pulled out all those staples either.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.