HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysteritaville - Wellness Post Hysterectomy > Hysteritaville General Discussions

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

How do I know if I'm absorbing my supplement? How do I know if I'm absorbing my supplement?

Unread 09-21-2001, 10:09 AM
How do I know if I'm absorbing my supplement?

Okay experts - here's one for you.

How do I know if I'm absorbing my supplements? I am taking a vitamin supplement which, theoretically, includes the higher amounts of Zinc, B6, Folic Acid, and Magnesium per Trish's article. I don't know how I stand on getting these in my foods because I can't find a way to easily track it (my favorite nutrition web sites don't list info for those nutrients on my foods).

I'm taking One-a-Day for Women, and when these run out I'm switching to One-A-Day for Women Menopausal Formula (unless I'm throwing my money down the toilet here).

Thoughts?

Rosa

BTW I'm taking premarin 1.25.
Unread 09-23-2001, 05:38 PM

Excellent question Rosa.....I don't know how we know if we are absorbing them. I know with me Calcium plus D is my main one, and I am hopeful its helping with my bone density, but I really won't know until I have another test in a years time. I will be starting fosamax soon, so between those two I am hopeful it will work to help my bones. But you raise a really good question.

I am taking several different vitamins, and I can't really say I notice a major difference in how I feel, but I am assuming the fact that I am taking them, has got to be better than not taking any.

I am hopeful Trish may have some info on this one!
Hugs,
Maria
Unread 10-01-2001, 07:33 PM

Rosa,
I don't know how you can tell for sure if you are absorbing your vitamins, but I take supplements that are in an isotonic form which means it is in a liquid state that matches the ph of our body fluids such as tears, saliva etc. Because they are isotonic and you take them BEFORE your meals, they go directly to your small intestines for maximum absorption in the shortest amount of time. Vitamin pills go to the stomach where they have to be broken down before the body can begin to absorb them and this process can take as long as 4 hours vs. 5 minutes for isotonic supplements. Because it takes so long, you lose some of the nutritional value when you take a vitamin pill. Some sources say you only absorb 20% of the pills. Whereas you get 95% absorption with the isotonics. This is just FYI, but I don't see the point in taking vitamins that aren't being absorbed. It is like throwing money down the drain! Please email me if you would like more info. By the way, this is just my humble opinion, but I believe the supplements I take helped me to have a speedy recovery from my hysterectomy in May.
Unread 10-02-2001, 05:49 PM

One thing you might want to research is when and how a supplement should be taken for maximum absorption (e.g., on an empty or full stomach).
E
Unread 10-10-2001, 05:35 PM
vitamin/mineral absorption

From what I understand, minerals are not recognized by our cells and are poorly absorbed, if they are absorbed at all. I take a vitamin/mineral supplement that binds a fructose molecule to each mineral. The cells accept the fructose, and then the minerals get in, too!
They're guaranteed, too, to make you feel better (objective) after 90 days.
Sorry if I sound like a commercial, but I really believe this makes a difference.
Vitamins cost money. They have got to be worth it!
Your sister,
Nina
Unread 10-18-2001, 02:24 PM

Your body can only absorb 500mgof calcium at a time and it is absorbed better if taken with vitamin C. (If you notice a lotof orange juice companies are including calcium in their juice now because of this.)

Love,
Maggie

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.