Frightened; Proper Preparation; Tons of Questions;Easing My Mind | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Frightened; Proper Preparation; Tons of Questions;Easing My Mind Frightened; Proper Preparation; Tons of Questions;Easing My Mind

Unread 11-23-2009, 07:13 PM
Frightened; Proper Preparation; Tons of Questions;Easing My Mind

Hello everyone. I am scheduled for a hysterectomy on Monday, November 30th. I have my pre-op in the morning and will find out then the method. I do know that because my ovaries are in excellent condition, my doctor will be leaving them and removing my uterus. I have had increasing issues with fibroid tumors and endometriosis. After much discussion and weighing many options, I am very comfortable with my decision. I am otherwise very healthy and am hoping this works in my favor when the surgery time comes.

I have spent a while prepping at work and at home. I am single and have a lovely family but tend to be on my own very often. I have found a lot of information on this site and much has been helpful and much has been confusing and frightening. I have told myself and heard from others that I must not focus on other's experience because everyone is different. I decided to prepare for the worst and get everything in order for at least the next 6 weeks; bills, stocking up on clean linens, buying books and puzzle books, etc. I plan to purchase new pillows this week as well as some loose comfy clothing.

I have had 2 surgeries without complication. I handle anesthesia well though I did get a little queasy from it following a tonsillectomy (as an adult 4 years ago). I also have a pretty high tolerance for pain and don't use medication unless I am very uncomfortable. I know I will have pain and discomfort and am so thankful to have my mother take care of me.

I could not ask for a better doctor (he delivered my 2 nephews and his wife delivered my niece) and his nurses are wonderful. Work has been terrific too and I was approved for an 8-week leave with full pay. Things seem positive and I am trying to remain so.

I am frightened though more of what if it doesn't work, what will I feel like, will I feel worse or better, will I develop other problems. Perhaps I am letting my mind run wild.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-23-2009, 08:13 PM
Re: Frightened; Proper Preparation; Tons of Questions;Easing My Mind

Augustof71,

Let me tell you, waiting is the hardest part, our minds can do a number on us. I can tell you this from my experiences, I prepared both mentally and physically for this surgery 2 times, yes twice.

I got cancelled in Oct, in pre-op, after doing everything, bowel prep, and IV, cancelled just before being wheeled into the OR, it was aweful. Then I had to start the waiting, worrying, second guessing, and wondering if it was not meant for me to have this surgery, all over again. So, I can say yes, your mind is "running wild," but I can tell you it is normal, yep normal. Others will be along shortly to confirm this too.
Good luck, and God bless.
Unread 11-23-2009, 08:24 PM

Yep. Normal. Mind running wild is a stage for pre-op princesses.

You can anticipate every complication known to woman, but chances are you will be normal. Hurt for a while, down for a while, then resume life much like before.

I hope that's reassuring! It's meant to be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-24-2009, 11:56 AM

Thank you so much. I just went for my pre-op testing and meeting with my doctor. He will remove the uterus and cervix. He intends to leave the ovaries unless there is a significant reason not to. I will go in Monday, surgery at 11 am and go home Thursday morning or early afternoon. When meeting with the nurse, she explained pain management and how they do it. The doctor uses lydocaine (not sure if I spelled it right) for the incision to reduce that pain as well as muscle pain. I will have a pump for morphine and she said the pain management plan is to keep the pain level at a 4 or under (on the 1 - 10 scale). She stated they also give something else to offset nausea and vomiting.

I was given the option to be on the maternity ward. I though weird at first but I am ok with it. It means nurses specialized in OB-GYN, I will have a private room at no extra cost and it will be much quieter with the exception of the occasional screaming mother and crying baby. I am childless by choice so I don't feel sad by it.

Now just the wait. Oh what fun.
Unread 11-24-2009, 08:27 PM

It sounds like you are very centered with this and that is great. You have someone to help you and plenty of time off of work. You will need that time off no matter what kind of surgery you have. The body and the mind do go through a lot of changes even if you are keeping your ovaries. Use the time to rest and recover peacefully.

I wish you all the best and am sending you big
Unread 11-29-2009, 08:04 AM

OK...surgery is tomorrow. I am getting more and more "calmly freaked out" about it. It's pretty much all I am thinking of at this point. I even had bizarre dreams about it the past couple of days. I am spending the day doing some chores and relaxing.

Thank you to all for you input and good thoughts. I will keep you posted.
Unread 11-29-2009, 08:10 AM

you are in our thoughts and prayers, you will do great!!!!!!!!! See you on the other side.
Unread 11-29-2009, 09:35 AM

"calmly freaked out" perfect description!! LOL!!

The waiting and worrying is the worst! Keep cleaning and organizing and thinking good thoughts .... you will be fine before, during and after surgery ... no more "period panties" ... maybe you should check out Victoria Secret's website for panties you will be able to wear without having to consult the calendar first for "is it safe?" . Speaking of underwear, I bought a pack 2 sizes too big of cheap, cotton panties and ended up cutting slits in the elastic in the front waist band for extra comfort. Now that my 'swelly belly' is going down, I'll be cutting waistbands from my old "period panties" until I'm able to fit comfortably into my new panties.

My TAH/BSO (horizontal incision) was Nov 11th, I live by myself and it has been all good. The pain has been manageable - remember no one is giving out awards for being in pain plus since they make me sleep more, that's less moving around and more time for my body to heal. My tummy pillow has been my favorite accessory. I have the world's best boyfriend who has helped out with taking out the trash, opening jars and all around support and great friends who check in on me - so be sure to ask for help when you need it - no medals being awarded for being "stubbornly independent" or over-doing it either.

Trim your toe nails today - it will be awhile before you can comfortably reach them and treat yourself, too .... you deserve it!

Good luck tomorrow and we'll see you on the flip side.
Unread 11-29-2009, 11:54 AM

you sound pretty level headed....you will be fine. Waiting was hard for me too. I'd never had surgery so there were more unknowns then with you. But you will be fine...try reading (something light hearted) or watching TV when you start to "over think".

Take good care of yourself and keep us posted.
Unread 11-29-2009, 12:28 PM

before my surgery (which was a week ago) I joined facebook..spent the day spying on old classmates. This past week facebook also gave me hours of entertainment with the games..
I agree with the other posts..find something to make you laugh today as it will be able to really laugh hard without holding your belly in place. also...huge tip.. trim your toenails!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register