HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Follow-up Appointment ('s) Follow-up Appointment ('s)

Unread 12-01-2009, 12:52 PM
Follow-up Appointment ('s)

I saw my doctor last Monday for my two week follow up. Everything was good and she said I'll see you in a year. She reminded me of lifting and other restrictions, as I am working from home this week and going back to the office next week.

I see other people posting about 6 week follow ups and so forth. I LOVE my doctor and think she's FANTASTIC

Just wondering about the range of follow ups. Obviously some procedures are more extensive than others. Is that the only reason, or is a 6 or 8 week follow up normal for a basic TAH?
Unread 12-01-2009, 08:26 PM
Re: Follow-up Appointment ('s)

I saw my doctor 10 days after the op then she said she wants to see me in 4 weeks. At that time she will be able to say when I can return to work (TAH). 11/12/09 age 49
Unread 12-01-2009, 08:47 PM

I'm pretty sure this topic has come up before, so you might want to search for previous threads to give you more answers, but anyway it seems variable, with many docs scheduling multiple post op appointments and many only one.

I only had one appt (for a TAH), and my doc said "see you at your annual" even though I complained of pain and bladder and bowel issues (was told they would get better), but after six months I had had enough of still feeling pain and just basically wondering what the heck was going on. I scheduled another appt. I now hope I am getting my pain addressed with physical therapy, but I really wonder why PT isn't pretty much standard after this surgery, as it is with so many other surgeries. I wonder if I couldn't have been feeling better months ago!

My feeling is that if I'd known pre-op what I know now I believe I actually would use a doc's followup procedures as at least one factor to consider when choosing a surgeon. One appt just wasn't enough for me and I felt stuck playing those mental games of wondering if I should just wait, things didn't seem great but they weren't terrible either, was I just being a whiner?, will I be taken seriously if I do schedule an appt? etc etc.

This was my fourth surgery, far and away the most serious, invasive, and major procedure I've ever had, but I feel I had far, far less f/u than any of my previous surgeries, even the d&c I had a few years ago.

Anyway sorry if this is WAY TMI but basically, number and type of f/u appts (pelvic exam or not, etc.) appears to vary quite widely.
Unread 12-01-2009, 08:58 PM

i had a single incision LSH, and will see him for the first time after 10 days. I do not know if that will be it, or if he will schedule another at 6 weeks...will let you know

I agree w/ pt above - one visit after something as invasive as TAH does not seem sufficient.
Unread 12-02-2009, 05:40 AM

I had a dVH/TLH-BSO w/cystocele repair and the ob/gyn scheduled me for a follow-up at 2 weeks post-op and then I have another appointment next week which will be 6 weeks post-op. I also had an appointment with the urologist at just over 3 weeks post-op. The daVinci procedure is much less invasive than a TAH so in my humble opinion, you should probably schedule a follow-up at 6 weeks. You can request it yourself and tell the doctor that you had some concerns and questions.
Linda
Unread 12-02-2009, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivy13 View Post
I saw my doctor last Monday for my two week follow up. Everything was good and she said I'll see you in a year. She reminded me of lifting and other restrictions, as I am working from home this week and going back to the office next week.

I see other people posting about 6 week follow ups and so forth. I LOVE my doctor and think she's FANTASTIC

Just wondering about the range of follow ups. Obviously some procedures are more extensive than others. Is that the only reason, or is a 6 or 8 week follow up normal for a basic TAH?
I had a two week follow up also and my said the same thing. He said that unless I have problems then he would see me sooner. I did have one minor problem so I saw him on Monday 5 weeks post op. Thank God everything is good. So, I am clear for everything. He did tell me to ease my way back into weight lifting. I had a LSH. With you having a TAH maybe you should consider having another follow up.
Unread 12-02-2009, 07:27 AM

Certainly, everyone is different. I had first appt. one week out to have my staples removed (TAH/BSO), and replaced with paper sutures. Surgeon wanted to see me three weeks later for final exam, which was excellent. She was always available to me if I had any issues, but was fortunate that I did not have any. I took my time, and was amazed how fast (after that first two weeks - whew) everything healed. Am cleared to get back to work Dec. 9 - full time, exactly 6 weeks post op. The body is an amazing thing. Best wishes to all.
Unread 12-02-2009, 08:07 AM

Hi there, I had TAH on Nov. 9th, my first surgery and I had to make it a doozy. Well, I did have my tonsils out at age 4, does that count? (I am 46 years old now) My doctor had me scheduled for a two week follow up appt, and then a four week follow up appt. However, I didn't make it the whole two weeks as I developed a hematoma at the incision site - so then all of a sudden I began seeing my doctor every two days (for management of the gauze drain and dressing). Being ever one to look at the bright side - instead of focusing on the hassle of this, I thought to myself - hey, I get contact with my doc every two days. While she's checking me out and changing the gauze, I get to chat about whatever is on my mind - not such a bad deal really! And I never got charged for any of those appointments as they were all considered "post op" - and the check out person said there was no charge. Unless my insurance company plans to surprise me with a bill later. :/ Anyhow, so those extra appts were a bit of an unexpected curve ball. But, on Monday the last of the gauze came out, and now I won't go back until my 4 week follow up appt next Tuesday, Dec. 8th. I had no idea some doctor's only scheduled one follow up exam. I truly can't fathom that. I guess I am too much of a nervous Nellie to handle being seen once and then "see you in a year!" I have too many questions! "What was that twinge? Is this normal? Is it okay to do yadda yadda.." stuff like that.... I'll be going back to work Jan. 4th. I had plenty of sick time (15 years worth!), so decided to use it and have a nice long recovery period. I figure it's a gift I will give to myself. I hope my energy level improves dramatically between now and then. I'm doing well overall, but my energy reserves seem to be a fraction of what they were. Yesterday I had a fair bit of (light) activity in the first part of the day - then in the afternoon crashed on the couch to watch a little TV.... and ended up napping for THREE hours!!! The last time I took a nap for three hours was... well... never!! I was so confused when I woke up and it was dark, lol!!

B
Unread 12-02-2009, 08:12 AM

I did not have a TAH but a Davinci Hysterectomy. My surgeon (gyn/onc) saw me at 2, 4, 6 week post-op and then I will see him again February which will be 3 months from my 6 week post-op. After the February appointment if there is nothing wrong then I will be released from as I did not have cancer.
Unread 12-02-2009, 10:05 AM

I see mine next week for my first post op at 3 weeks. I believe I will have to go back at 6 weeks too.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.