Energy Levels & Exercise After A Hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Energy Levels & Exercise After A Hysterectomy Energy Levels & Exercise After A Hysterectomy

Unread 12-08-2009, 11:13 PM
Energy Levels & Exercise After A Hysterectomy

I had a hysterectomy last week. Prior to the surgery I worked out six to seven days a week at moderate or rigorous levels. Now I get tired quickly just from a short walk. How long does it take to regain your energy and return to regular exercise?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-08-2009, 11:24 PM
Re: Energy Levels & Exercise After A Hysterectomy

It really depends on when your body is finished healing internally. If you've ever seen a video of a hyst. (have them on this site, but I don't recommend viewing them to everyone ;-) Anyway, if you've seen one, you see why it takes so long to heal inside. Your heart and lung condition would be the same, just your body talking to you saying it needs to heal. It seems you are in tune with your body and what it's telling you. :-)

Unread 12-09-2009, 04:56 AM

It could take months actually. I'm 3 months post-op and it's only been within the past few weeks that I feel I could do anything strenuous. I was healed, but I tired sooner then I would have before surgery.

But I also didn't work out before surgery, so that could play a part. Take it easy, and when you do get cleared for exercise, go slowly. You will not be able to do what you did before surgery. Think of it as starting all over, because essentially you are. You have to build your bodies energy back up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-09-2009, 08:12 AM

Thank you both for your replies. I have been more tired and tire quickly. I am trying to take it slowly and ensure I take short walks daily.
Unread 12-09-2009, 08:30 AM

Today marks week five for my LSH. I was cleared to do modified yoga at week 4, but felt queezy just thinking of it, so I decided to wait til this week.
I took short walks every day week one and two, and each time I could walk a little further. I don't push myself to walk fast, just to walk is good.
For the first 3 weeks I rested in the afternoons, and now I can go without resting most days. My Dr said it's important to "listen to my body", so I do.
I can walk on the treadmill now, just at a slow speed, no incline.
I remind myself that it takes time for my body to heal, and that I'll make it back to my old work-outs eventually.
You'll get there, it just takes some time.
Unread 12-09-2009, 09:04 AM

Wow, this really hit home for me. I also was working out 6 days per week (sometimes twice a day) prior to my LSH (November 30th). I really miss my workouts (not the actual workout, but the feeling I got having done them, and of course the result!). I went to my Dr. yesterday to get a couple of sutures removed, and I didn't bother to ask because she told me absolutely no lifting or anything strenuous for a while. I will definitely ask her reccomendations when I go for my 4 week check-up. I was doing so well before (dropped 15 lbs), I just don't want to lose my momentum. Plus, I have a caribbean cruise coming up in February, and I want to have my body 'cruise-ready'! For now, short walks around my apt (it's winter here in Western NY) is all I can muster.
Unread 12-09-2009, 04:19 PM

Hey Hyster122,

I understand your anticipation to begin your workouts because I felt it too. My TVH was Aug. 4 and I began walking my neighborhood at about the 8 or 9th day. My neighborhood has two circles the inner is 4/10ths of a mile the outer is 6/10ths, so together they make up a full mile. I started with just the inner then added the outer and by about the 2 week mark I was walking 2 miles a day. I did that for a number of weeks and improved my speed as the weeks passed.

I didn't go back to the gym until about the 11 week mark and even then didn't do too much. The elliptical, hand weights, some tennis. I usually lift quite heavy on the weights and still haven't gotten back to that but I pretty much do my regular workout minus the really heavy weights. Spin class twice a week, weights twice a week, Yoga, tennis, elliiptical. I have found that by the end of the week I'm rather fatigued! I think this is because my energy levels just aren't quite up to par yet but I don't have any pain or anything.

Don't do too much too soon. I really did take my recovery seriously and didn't do anything that felt like I was over exerting myself. Walking seemed to fit the bill perfectly and was recommended by my doctor.

I hope this helps you and that I didn't ramble on too long.

Good luck in your recovery!

quirky1
Unread 12-09-2009, 06:24 PM

Today is six weeks for me and my energy levels are just about where they were pre-surgery. I've felt really good during my whole recovery, been able to be up and about, out shopping, walking, I just got tired sooner and would have to rest.
I'm released back to full exercise as of today and I'm excited.
Unread 12-09-2009, 07:13 PM

Hi! Before my surgery I worked out about 6 days a week...boot camp style classes or light days running at least three miles. I was terrified at the thought of not working out. Week 5 after doing NOTHING whatsoever I hit boot camp and did just fine. I modified a lot of the class and dropped from 8-10 lb weights to 3-5's. This was week six and still only at two MAYBE three classes this week.
As a result I have lost 10 lbs since surgery...combo of having all of that junk out, not being able to eat post op and just making the right choices. I know how you feel but go to the checkpoints section. It will give you a clear picture of just how easy you need to be taking it!
Unread 12-09-2009, 07:31 PM

I was halfway through P90X when I had to go in for surgery. I'm 7 weeks post-op and still don't feel up to getting back into my workouts yet. I think it just depends on the individual: I'm struggling with some depression too; so I can pretty much guarantee that's not helping....

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register