HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

how long before Miralax starts working? how long before Miralax starts working?

Unread 12-14-2009, 02:25 PM
how long before Miralax starts working?

I broke down and bought Miralax. How long before it starts working? Do I still take the stool softeners while taking it? Should I use it every day for the seven days?
Unread 12-14-2009, 03:05 PM
Re: how long before Miralax starts working?

Hi again

The Miralax can take up to 3-4 days to work initially. My Dr started me out on 1 dose per day and to also continue with the stool softeners. He said that after a week if that did not help, to add an additional dose of the Miralax every other day. I did find that it took about 3 days to work, but after that the going is much better and more regular. HInt, I don't know if you have that big warehouse store where you live (that I can' name) but a two pack of Miralax is much cheaper there. Also they have their own generic brand as well.
Unread 12-14-2009, 03:26 PM

Thanks, I bought the name brand but will buy generic next time. All we have is Sam's Club where we live. We will be traveling December 22/23, do you think I will have problems with not be able to hold it if I have to have a BM after taking Miralax? My husband will be great with stopping but I know we will have long stretches of no rest areas.
Unread 12-14-2009, 05:41 PM

I take the Miralax daily along with stool softeners twice a day. I never had any of that laxative-like urgency with Miralax. That, along with stomach upset, is one reason I like Miralax so much.

Glad a generic is out now; Miralax can be pricey, especially when taking it every day. I've had constipation problems all of my life, and since my dr said it's safe to take every day, I may just take it "forever"!
Unread 12-14-2009, 05:45 PM

I have also had problems for quite a while. the miralax seems to be very good. It sometimes takes time for it to work but it will work. I have found that fiber supplements also help. My gi doctor loves Miralax and told me to keep taking it at least once a day and preferably two times a day. His biggest worry is the constipation and the effects it has on me. It throws my whole body off and makes me really really ill. Hope this helps.
Unread 12-14-2009, 07:01 PM

I made the mistake of taking several doses within a few hours because nothing was happening...It felt like my prep all over...LOL I learned my lesson.

It usually works within 12 hours for me and I take one dose. I agree I never had the cramps like the other stuff, it all felt very natural.
Unread 12-14-2009, 07:14 PM

THANKS!! I think the reason some of my sutures "popped" open was because of constipation issues.
Unread 12-14-2009, 07:24 PM

A couple of other things regarding the Miralax. I find that it is most effective to ensure to get plenty of water, at least 2- 20 oz bottles a day. And I also ensure that I get plenty of fiber. The RDA amount for fiber is 25 grams. Most adults in the US only get about 1/2 that amount at best. Psyllium Husk powder is a great way to do it. Find it at any Health Food store. I've worked up to 2 Tablespoons a day (27 grams of fiber in total) , but you must work up slowly. Start out with 1 tsp and increase slowly. Again with fiber water is important. Because if you increase the fiber, but aren't getting adequate water...then you just plug up.

I make a daily cocktail about 3 PM. In a small shaker bottle (an old cranberry juice single serving), I place the Miralax in the bottom and put just enough hot water into dissolve it all the way. For some reason dissolving in hot liquid seems to help it to work better and faster. I then fill the bottle almost up with about 8 oz of juice (actually I use a 1/2 and 1/2 mixture of limeaide and crangrape). Then place the 2 TBLS of psyllium husk powder into the bottle on top of the juice. Put the cap on and then shake it well to ensure all the lumps are out of the powder. Stirring just doesn't do the trick. I then immediately chug the entire thing down. I don't care for the texture of the husk powder...so chugging works best for me. That plus the psyllium husk has a tendency to thicken. If it does, I just add additional hot water and drink it down. The advantage of the 3 PM dosing is that I really feel full and that late afternoon snacking is almost non-existant now... :-)

With a daily dose you should not have issue with the runs, but if you do, back off and go every other day with the Miralax..sometimes you just need to adjust and find what works best for you.

For the Dec 22/23 trip. There are some very nice incontinance products are out there. I finally broke down and purchased some just for travel as sometimes when I need to go...there's not a lot of delaying the moment involved. So with the pants there's a great deal of comfort, knowing that an accident isn't going to ruin the trip. You could purchase them and a box of wipes...that will ease your mind and you'll have a great tip.

Take Care...And despite the constipation I am glad you are feeling better.
Unread 12-15-2009, 05:20 PM

I'm glad you are feeling better. I think that everyone has a different reaction to any of these medicines. You probably need to find what will work best for you and stick with that.
I also found that there are some really discreet incontinence pads out there that you can use if you have to travel. I was worried coming home from the hospital and then going to see my m.d. (each an hour and half journey one way) and the pads just made me feel comfortable. I didn't have a problem on the drive but it did give me comfort to know that I was covered "just in case"

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.