HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

How do we know if stitches are healing on the inside? How do we know if stitches are healing on the inside?

Unread 12-20-2009, 11:05 PM
How do we know if stitches are healing on the inside?

New Question most of you all seem to be referring to stitches on the outside.I had a TVH and I wondered how do you know if your stitches are healing on the inside?
Unread 12-21-2009, 12:07 AM
How do we know if stitches are healing on the inside?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elephantears View Post
New Question most of you all seem to be referring to stitches on the outside.I had a TVH and I wondered how do you know if your stitches are healing on the inside?
Good question am in the same boat as you lol I have to see the gyno on the 19 Jan.....
Unread 12-21-2009, 12:39 PM
Re: How do we know if stitches are healing on the inside?

Thanks April Dawn for the editing....I'm still not sure how to get to a new thread when someone answers or how to do a PM but I found your answer
Unread 12-21-2009, 06:50 PM

I just had my six week check today. I told the doctor I still have constant brown discharge. He said I had stitches falling out as he inserted the speculum. He said discharge=stitches. When the stitches are gone, the discharge will end - almost to the day.
Unread 12-21-2009, 07:40 PM

thanks Grace, guess I'll have to wait for my checkup on the 19 Jan....I think I felt a stitch give way the other day down there as I cant feel it pulling anymore also had a pink tinge when it happened.... guess its the first of many to dissolve
Unread 12-21-2009, 08:10 PM

What if you haven't had any discharge or anything resembling a stitch? Do they just disappear? Good questions.
Unread 12-21-2009, 08:24 PM

I haven't seen any stitches in my discharge. I was surprised when he said that. I still had stitches sticking out of my belly button and one of my other abdominal incisions (I had LAVH). The doctor pulled some of those out today -but said my belly button is full of undissolved stitches. He said this tells him that I still have healing going on internally. Everyone heals at a different rate. I, too, was wondering about the fact that some don't have any discharge. However, some have posted today that they didn't have any discharge initially, but started at 3-4 weeks post-op. This would follow with the right time frame for stitches dissolving.
Unread 12-21-2009, 08:34 PM

I had the stitches come out from my vagina. And I also had all but 2 cm of my rectum removed along with alot of muscle, so recently, sorry if TMI, I've had some internal stitches come out thru my anus. First I thought they were skin tags back there, but nope, when they started coming clear out it was obvious they were the stitches. And my surgery was July 6th. I can say they were painful when they started "poking" thru. The internal ones also poked thru on my abdomen as well, the doctor just snipped those down cause they were catching on my clothes. But I definately would not let him go a snipping around the anus! LOL
Unread 12-21-2009, 09:03 PM

I had a LAVH and did not have any discharge until week two. Then about week 5 or 6 it stopped. Then the morning of week 7 I had a lot of discharge out of nowhere. I had my post op appt that afternoon and doc sd it was healing well accept for a tiny spot where he sd the discharge was probably coming from. He put silver nitrate there and then he sd to wait one week before intercourse. Others had posted about seeing their stiches on their pads (I never wore one) or in the toilet. Right b-4 week 6 I looked in the toilet after i urinated and sure enough......it look like light colored, fine baby hair.
So after telling you all of that......I guess you don't know that you are healing until your post op around 6 weeks. Just thought i would share my experience.
Unread 12-21-2009, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ialwaysworry View Post
I had the stitches come out from my vagina. And I also had all but 2 cm of my rectum removed along with alot of muscle, so recently, sorry if TMI, I've had some internal stitches come out thru my anus. First I thought they were skin tags back there, but nope, when they started coming clear out it was obvious they were the stitches. And my surgery was July 6th. I can say they were painful when they started "poking" thru. The internal ones also poked thru on my abdomen as well, the doctor just snipped those down cause they were catching on my clothes. But I definately would not let him go a snipping around the anus! LOL
Wow I always worry...That's a lot to handle ...thanks for letting us know...the truth is what I like about this site..it's all so vague and nicely put in the pamphlets

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway