HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Lump in vein where IV was - how long did that last? Lump in vein where IV was - how long did that last?

Unread 12-25-2009, 11:21 PM
Lump in vein where IV was - how long did that last?

It's been 12 days since my surgery (11 since I had my IV removed) and the back of my hand is SO SORE!!! There is a little lump and it feels like a bad bruise but the discoloration is long gone.
I saw the headline about this in the post-op section but kept forgetting to read it until now (just after midnight on Saturday, Dec. 26th).
I saw it said that you should check with a doc but I'd rather just call about it on Monday than worry too much. On the other hand, if someone shares a scary story about something like this happening to them, then I'll go to an Urgent care place tomorrow! I don't think it's a major problem but rather just annoying.
So, I was wondering how long others had the soreness, etc. I'm feeling so great after my LAVH (I need to share my story soon) that my hand hurts worse than my abdomen!
Thanks!
Rachel
Unread 12-25-2009, 11:53 PM
Re: Lump in vein where IV was - how long did that last?

I had exactly the same thing. In fact, mine moved upa few inches up into my forearm. My doc. said it was fine. It hurt a lot. I'm not a doc., but that was my experience.

Hang in there,

:xmashug4:
Unread 12-26-2009, 05:57 AM

I had that years ago when I gave birth to my daughter. A hard knot formed where the IV cath was in. I just applied warm compresses to the area several times a day and it eventually went away.

12/11/09 TAH/BSO
12/11/09 Laproscopic Cholecystectomy
Unread 12-26-2009, 06:15 AM

I had a small knot there too. Doc said it was okay and would go down. I am almost five weeks postop and he was right. It did go down and is no longer sore.
Unread 12-26-2009, 09:09 AM

I do home IV therapy for my son. When he develops a knot we apply warm compresses. This is an injury, not an infection. If you notice any red streaking and if the tissue surrounding the site is swollen, then I would go to urgent care (these are signs of infection). All in all, this is a common reaction to an over zealous nurse inserting your large-bore IV needle.
Unread 12-26-2009, 09:16 AM

I had sore sore bumps on my hand where I'd had 2 IVs in. But half way up my forearm I had a really big red and tender lump which hurt with any pressure on it. I think it took between 2 and 3 weeks to go, but it's fine now.
Unread 12-26-2009, 09:26 AM

had that to in an IV spot that they tried first and couldn't get it in. It'll be 6 weeks on Monday and I can still feel it if I press on it but its much better. It hurt worse there than the actual IV spot...
Unread 12-26-2009, 10:39 AM

When I had an emergency surgery years ago, I got one of those bumps. It really hurt - when I asked my Dr. about it, he told me to get some Capzasin P (spelling?). It is an OTC topical analgesic (like for arthritis). I put it on 1 time...the lump and pain was gone! Seriously! I will warn you though...It is some HOT stuff! It is good though. I still use it for other pains that I have.
Unread 12-26-2009, 12:18 PM

Happened to me too! The warm compresses really DO help alot! Mine is almost gone now and doesn't really hurt anymore. Just remember red streak=call dr. that's a sign of infection.
Unread 12-26-2009, 12:28 PM

I was just talking about my bump on my hand today. Glad to know that I am not alone. Let me know if you do call the dr and they say there is something to be concerned about... I was sort of scared it might be a clot...

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.