HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Would Hysterectomy cure anemia? Would Hysterectomy cure anemia?

Unread 12-27-2009, 10:06 PM
Would Hysterectomy cure anemia?

Hi all,

Before my hysterectomy, my doctor insisted I either get the hysterectomy or try other birthcontrole pills to stop my period due to a chronic anemia caused from my massive bleeding.

Has anyone else been cured from anemia with this hysterectomy? If so, how long before you noticed a difference?

I am having my first "period" post op...I am really hoping for very little bleeding, but don't know what to expect!

Thanks in advance for any advice
Spring Time
Unread 12-27-2009, 10:41 PM
Re: Would Hysterectomy cure anemia?

It certainly hasn't cured my anemia. At least not yet. I suppose it may take a while though after being severely anemic for so long. My doc has me on prenatal vitamins and I am using natural foods to bring my iron levels up.
Unread 12-27-2009, 11:41 PM

Yes, it can, if your anemia was due to excessive bleeding with periods. That's why, for those of us who did not have anemia pre-surgery, our DRs often instruct us not to take vitamins which contain iron post op - without periods, our bodies have no way to get rid of excess iron and it can quickly build up to toxic levels.

s,
-Linda
Unread 12-28-2009, 02:56 AM

I was anaemic before my TAH, because of very heavy periods, and the doctor had prescribed me iron tablets. I was having blood tests every few months to check my iron levels. Then my consultant prescribed me iron tablets after the TAH because of low iron levels, which I need to take for a month after surgery.

My doctor said that I would need a few more blood tests after the surgery to check if my iron levels were increasing. This is just because she wants to check that my anaemia was directly caused by heavy periods. She says if my iron levels remain low, she will have to see if there is something else causing the anaemia.

Hope this helps!
Unread 12-28-2009, 06:12 AM

I had anemia prior to surgery due to heavy periods. The doctor had me take over-the-counter iron pills to raise my blood count before the operation. Two months after the surgery the doctor said my anemia was gone.
Unread 12-28-2009, 10:18 AM

thanks for your input. My doctor seemed to think that it would be cured from this hysterectomy...I really hope that it does.

I was deficient in vitamin D and supplements helped, but the pills for iron never worked! I guess we will give it a few months.

Spring Time
Unread 12-28-2009, 12:49 PM

I was anemic from excessive menstrual bleeding and had to go on six months of Lupron injections (medical menopause) to stop the bleeding prior to being able to safely undergo surgery. This was after two years of failed attempts to control my bleeding (BC pills, a D&C, progesterone, cryoablation - all to no avail). Once my blood counts returned to to normal levels, I had the hyst. The anemia does take several months to resolve, so give it time.
Unread 12-28-2009, 01:06 PM

I have been fighting severe anemia for years. My iron levels are checked regularly and I was on iron supplements. I had constant cracks at the corners of my mouth from the anemia - sometimes they were better than others, but always there. They were so painful!

The doctor said the surgery would clear up the anemia over time....and already the cracks at the corners of my mough are completely gone. I have had them for so long....and it feels so good to not have it hurt to open my mouth They will check my iron levels to check on things. I'm already not taking my iron supplements or a multi with rion. I DO try to eat foods naturally high in iron. I can't believe how much better I feel already!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway