HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

Notices

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

What does inconclusive mean when it comes to lab tests What does inconclusive mean when it comes to lab tests

Unread 12-29-2009, 07:32 PM
What does inconclusive mean when it comes to lab tests

Hello ladies,
I'm a 35 year old. Who this past June had a larger than life grapefruit sized ovary, removed along with a flopian tube. (Know that i spelled that wrong) with an incision from belly button to hair line. Once the biopsy came back they informed me that it was inconclusive but the blood work was positive for cancerous cells. I'm having a hard time trying to figure this out. How can one test say cancerous and the oher (lab work biopsy) come back inconculsive. My spell check is enabled and I'm not a PC junkie so i cant fix that either.
OK back to my point, now I have to have a full hyster. with the removal of the other ovary along with everything else in there. They (Cancer DR.) said that its a slow growing cancer and that we will be able to schedule for that removal here coming up. I have a DR apt on the 27th of Jan to find out more. But I'm having a hard time locating the info i want before then. Sorry for babbling and my spelling. I'm trying to be a MOM and type at the same time and some times they get get confused to what they are doing either spelling or answering lots of questions..
Thanks for any and all replys
Dawn
Unread 12-30-2009, 06:39 AM
Re: What does inconclusive mean when it comes to lab tests

I am so sorry you are going through this. It can be so confusing and stressful. It may be what they found was a "borderline" cyst. These are very slow growing and the usual treatment is removal only. It's hard to say just from the inconclusive. To my knowledge there is no blood test that confirms cancer but I am no expert. I know that the CA125 blood test can be an indicator and is used sometimes. Mine was very elevated but I didn't have cancer I had endometriomas of both ovaries. It's not a very reliable test.

Make sure to write down all your questions before your appointment and ask your doctor! Take someone with you when you go. Sometime they remember things better as we are in shock.

Take care of yourself!!!

Teresa
Unread 12-30-2009, 10:11 AM

Hi there, so sorry about all of this.
From your description it sounds like they cannot be certain of the "tumour" of your ovary, but that the abdominal wash showed some cancer cells.
Whenever they operate and are concerned about cervical, uterine, or ovarian cancers they sample the fluid in the abdominal cavity to see if there are any cancer cells in the fluid.
In my case the abdominal wash was positive for cancer cells as well.
So what they need to do is look further to find out why you have an ovarian mass, and cancer cells in the abdominal fluids.

See if you can get a copy of the pathology report, and perhaps we can figure out more about what is going on

Janet
Unread 12-30-2009, 10:15 AM

Now that I read your note, again, it is hard to tell if it is the CA125 they are talking about OR the abdominal wash fluid. I may have misled you there.
Your path report would clear that up if you have it
janet
Unread 12-30-2009, 10:36 AM

thanks for your help I have a Cancer Dr apt on the 27th of Jan. so I'll try then..
Unread 12-30-2009, 12:24 PM

You could call the Dr. that did the first surgery and get the path report. My reg. gyno. sent all of my records and scans with me when she referred my to the Oncologist Gynecologist. Arunner is right it could be they found malignant cells in the pelvic wash. It's really hard to say from what you shared with us. I hope a Oncologist Gynecologist will be doing your second surgery.

Try not to stress too much!
Unread 12-30-2009, 01:57 PM

Peanuts -

Here are a resource that that might help you once you get your pathology report:

Understanding pathology report

Also Terms on Pathology report

G
Unread 01-01-2010, 04:38 PM

yes the oncologyst will be doing the surgery. He stated that he wants to go in and see if it has spread through out.
Hey I was looking at the post -OP page and they were talking about their diets. I had an ovary/flop tube removed and I didnt have that much problems why is there more problems with the other ovary/tube/ uterous etc? your food doesnt go through that.
Unread 01-01-2010, 05:14 PM

peanuts -

If your uterus and cervix are removed there is more movement of other organs...so your intestines shift around. Also many Drs. have you do a bowel prep so getting the intestines to start back-up can be a challenge.

G
Unread 01-01-2010, 05:18 PM

thanks for your reply.. Hey how do i post another post. I cant figure that out... this web page is not friendly for me to get around. dont know how to post anything just the first post and cant find how to get back to that page. thanks Peanut

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.