HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

So when can I vacuum? So when can I vacuum?

Unread 12-30-2009, 03:51 PM
So when can I vacuum?

I know this sounds like a stupid question and I should be that I don't "have to" vacuum, but I was just wondering when I should try again.

I made the stupid mistake of vacuuming the kitchen floor and rugs on Saturday with my 5 lb Orek (the 26th) while hubby was out (I couldn't stand the dog hair one more second!) and as I was going along, I felt like I had wet my pants - totally weird since I had the bladder sling at the same time as my hysterectomy, so I went upstairs to the bathroom and sure enough I was bleeding bright red blood. I stopped immediately and it seemed to slow down after a while, but then I passed a smallish clot and it started up again for a bit. I laid down with my feet up for about an hour and it stopped and hasn't been a problem since.

Am I totally nuts?
Unread 12-30-2009, 03:58 PM
Re: So when can I vacuum?

Hi

No, you are not nuts at all. As we begin to feel better, and look around and see what needs to be done, we start thinking that if we do it real quick, it won't hurt. We've all been there.

For all of us, the time to get back to normal daily activities is different. You had some extra work done, and it would be best to ask your Dr when it would be okay for you.

I know you have probably heard this before, but you really only have one time to heal right. If you do too much too soon, and cause more damage, then it only prolongs the recovery and may even require more surgery to correct.

Has your Dr given you a release for normal activity yet?

Kay
Unread 12-30-2009, 04:00 PM

If anyone else asks you tell them never...j/k I would love to tell my family that! I took about 8 weeks before I even attempted it.
Unread 12-30-2009, 05:14 PM

I saw my Dr at almost 4 weeks post op and she said everything looked great and I never had to come and see her again if I didn't want to since I no longer needed pap smears. I'm thinking I will still use her as my "regular" dr even if she is an ob/gyn as I really like her a lot. I don't remember her saying anything specific about resuming normal activity, other than the stern "No intercourse for two more weeks". Maybe I'll call her office tomorrow and have the nurse ask her.

Thanks! I know I need to take time to heal properly but it's so darn hard to "take it easy" when you're used to just doing what needs to be done.... (I love these smilies)
Unread 12-30-2009, 05:57 PM

I had some light bleeding one day when I did some cleaning around the 3 1/2 or 4 week mark. I took it easy. Waited for it to slack off again, then retried cautiously 4 or 5 days later and all was fine.

Are you at 5 weeks post-op now? Did you have your check up yet?
Unread 12-30-2009, 07:53 PM

I am 7 weeks post-op and still havent't used the vacuum sweeper yet, I just tell DH what needs swept and he does it for me(actually I ask and he does it). I am wondering also how long I really should not use the vacuum sweeper. I'm not going back to work for another 7-11 days. I haven't had any issues during the recovery period ( no bleeding,pain,etc) and don't want any now that it's almost time to go back to work. I have to go Tues for a release for work, so I guess I will ask then if it is safe now.

I did sweep and mop the kitchen tonight. I had been gone 2 days and the floor was very sticky when I got home, probably some pop got spilled (the teens or my Grandma) while I was away. I can't complain, as that was the only mess in 2 days. In the last 3 weeks I have spot swept the kitchen (a couple of times), but haven't done the mopping.

I know this post probably hasn't helped you much, but just trying to encourage you not to do to much to soon.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.