HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

How long is the Davinci surgery? How long is the Davinci surgery?

Unread 01-01-2010, 04:47 PM
How long is the Davinci surgery?

I am scheduled for surgery on 2/2/10 and I was wondering how long the surgery might be. Also, I've been trying to exercise more often now. Are there any exercises I should do to aid in recovery time?
Unread 01-01-2010, 06:18 PM
Re: How long is the Davinci surgery?

stephjo -

It really depends on what all is being removed. A supracervical operation should be shorter than a total hysterectomy (where uterus and cervix are removed) which should be shorter than a total hysterectomy with tubes & ovaries removed (BSO) which should be shorter than if lymph nodes are being sampled to (if cancer is present).

However this can all depend on if you have endometriosis or adhesions where the Dr. has to take more time to separate organs.

As with everything else all we can tell you is general times based on our experiences.

Mine was 4 to 5 hours.

G
Unread 01-01-2010, 08:30 PM

I was checked in at 5:30, prepped, surgery and recovery plus a couple hours of pain meds and eating left castle at 4pm I had uterus, cervix, and both ovaries removed and some endo lesions. Good Luck
Unread 01-01-2010, 08:47 PM

Hi Stephjo,

I just noticed you are scheduled for 2/2/10...too.
Unread 01-01-2010, 09:27 PM

I had a total hyst (uterus & cervix) including a 6 cm fibroid. Kept ovaries. Surgeon was able to dissect fibroid & remove all vaginally. Took about 1 hr, 15 min...but he is very good & very experienced with robotic surgery.

My recovery was easy and I was back to work in 4 weeks. Could have gone back in 3 weeks if it weren't for the commute. Good luck to you!
Unread 01-01-2010, 09:42 PM

Hi,

I had LAVH on 12/28. Everything was removed. My actual surgery took 1-1/2 hours, but it took them an extra hour to intubate me. So, a total of 2-1/2 hours. It was news to me that I am a difficult intubation.

Everything went well.
Unread 01-01-2010, 10:02 PM

It depends on your Dr. and what your having done. I was
under the impression it took 3 hrs at the most. I was under
anesthesia for 6 hours, I only had uterus and cervix removed. Did not make it out of recovery and in my room
until 7:00 P.M. ,since this was my first surgery ever and being under for so long I had a hard time coming out of
the anesthesia. at this point in my recovery I feel like everything I was told by the Dr. was made to sound like the
Davinci Surgery was a breeze, and for me it has been awful. My advice to all women having the surgery is to
read everything you can on you own,don't just listen to your Dr. I wish I had
Unread 01-01-2010, 10:28 PM

64 Born,

Well, my Doc told me 1 and 1/2 hours and that is what it was for the surgery alone. The extra hour was for the intubation.

I agree that it would depend on what kinds of problems you are having as to what all your Doc will have to do. That would be different for each person.

Wow, 6 hours seems like a long time for just removing the uterus and the cervix. I think I would inquire why so long. I can only imagine that you had a hard time waking up from a surgery that long. It is my nature to research everything myself anyways, sometimes I find out too much information though.

Hope you start feeling better.

Unread 01-01-2010, 11:14 PM

That was only the beginning of my nightmare. I ended up
back in the emergency room 3 days later I developed a trocar hernia with a bowel obstruction. I did ask the Dr.
why my surgery took so long, comment was " that is what
it usually takes" I did find out though that one of the robotic arms kept falling out of the incision site where the
hernia developed. Because it wasn't place securely it weakend my fascia muscle and the hernia developed. I had
to go into emergency surgery to repair and ended up in the
hospital for 5 days. anyway, I am still recovering from 2 major surgeries, I am grateful everday that the pain is
slowly going away. I missed thanksgiving but was able
to be home for christmas. And I really feel blessed to be
able to share my story with others.
Unread 01-01-2010, 11:22 PM

64 Born,

I am so sorry you had to endure this. Hope that you are feeling better daily.
You have really been through it.

I will send you a PM

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.