HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

sacrocolpopexy Da Vinci surgery scheduled for March sacrocolpopexy Da Vinci surgery scheduled for March

Unread 01-08-2010, 01:36 PM
Re: sacrocolpopexy Da Vinci surgery scheduled for March

I should also mention that because I had another surgery (4 weeks ago) and it was open - my uro-gyn was in the OR as well as my colorectal surgeon, mesh looked great - no erosion at all. Like Mercyme.. I did have issues with painful sex - I just posted about it on the tread that is current about painful sex.
Unread 01-15-2010, 08:07 AM

I had a DaVinci sacrocolpopexy/partial hysterectomy (kept ovaries) with prolene mesh two weeks ago. I had uterine prolapse and cystocele. The surgery went well and only took 2 hours. The first week was a little difficult. They only kept me one night and I really feel like another night in the hospital would have been better. If you have the option of staying 2 nights, I'd recommend it. My home is 45 minutes from the hospital and the ride home wasn't pleasant. The only real pain I felt was from the gas pains. No one really prepared me for that. I slept sitting up for the first week. I only took pain pills (Percocet) for 4 days and now only take Advil when I need it. Feeling much better now except I'm still having pain/pressure in lower pelvic/bladder area along with difficult urination and I feel like I'm not completely voiding when I urinate. I was told not to lift anything more than 5 lbs for 8 weeks but wasn't told not to bend. I was told to take short walks but to rest a lot. My doctor gave me Estrace and Metrogel (vaginal cream and gel) to use on alternating nights to prevent infection of the mesh. I'm to use these at least until I see her at 4 weeks. My belly is only slightly swollen now but was pretty huge for me after surgery so I would definitely recommend wearing loose sweatpants and a loose top home from the hospital. (I couldn't wear my bra because the tightness aggravated the gas pains.)

Good luck to you and I hope everything goes smoothly for you.
Unread 01-20-2010, 08:08 AM

I am scheduled to have this done 1/25. I will keep you posted.
Unread 02-03-2010, 08:59 AM

On January 25 I had a Da Vinci sacrocolpopexy supracervical hyst keeping my ovaries and a rectocele repair. I thought I was going to have a graft to support the posterior repair but somehow that procedure was not on the surgery order. I will find out why at my post op appointment on 2/9.

Since I do not want to jeopardize the success of my procedure I have no intention of "getting back to normal" too quickly. My sister was with me for a few days and now just my husband. And when I sit or stand too long and begin to feel tugging at the incision points I lay down. I use lots of pillows to support my tummy when I am on my side and think the supportive undergarments might have been a good idea.

I was in the hospital less than a day. I was urinating before I left the hospital and did experience the swollen belly (still have it.) My whole purpose in eating the first few days was to create a bowel movement. So far I have had one every day except yesterday. My husband says it is because I am not eating enough to produce one. I would say my recovery progress has been two steps forward one step back.

I do think it is important to find others with similar procedures, which I have found difficult. I somehow have trouble keeping track of these forums so if you have questions for me and my experience try to find me
Unread 02-03-2010, 10:19 AM

Keep up the good work on taking it easy. That is the key thing, not to over do it. With only 1 week post-op laying on your side is expected to be painful that is normal. I am 8 weeks and still have trouble with laying on my right side some nights. I still have some pulling and heaviness. I find that I am fine with regular house work as long as I only do one thing a day. Errands and running around is fine. The dr said that it will take as long as 3 months for everything to heal and it cannot be rushed. I am still take stool softeners and citrucil and will probably do that from now on to ensure that my bm are regular and non-stressful. Keep up the good work.
Unread 02-03-2010, 12:03 PM

thanks for the encouragement and being a few paces ahead of me. I guess I thought that my progress should be faster based on how much better I felt after 2 days. At that point I quit almost all pain meds and seemed to have all plumbing on schedule. Well, I restarted pain meds after a sleepless night at day 5...more major discomfort than pain meds...as needed and I am still trying to keep regular. Like you said, "process management" will be a permanent priority. So, you are 8 weeks. Are you still a bit swollen? and have you started or when did you start walking. I just watched the Duke on line sacrocolpopexy and they mentioned that as follow up to the surgery.
Unread 02-03-2010, 01:53 PM

I am not swollen, for me that died down at about 5-6 weeks. I am a major aerobic junkie and was hoping to back to my class at 8 weeks, but a follow-up dr visit at 8 weeks squished that dream until the 3 month mark. I didn't walk or anything since it is winter here in WI and today at 25 is a major heat wave and I don't belong to a health club or anyplace other then outside that I could walk. DH just bought a used treadmill and so I just started walking seriously this week.
Unread 02-03-2010, 02:09 PM

Can anyone tell me if this procedure fixes the anterior prolapse. I have a TVT sling and the anterior portion of the surgery did not hold. It was done with my own ligaments. I have reprolapsed some.. I am thinking of switching DR.s and he does the Da Vinci. So I guess my question is is the procedure done with mesh? Thanks,, I hope this makes sense
Unread 02-03-2010, 06:03 PM

hi i am scheduled for a supracervical da vinci sacrocolpopexy on feb 15. With the cervix still in place does the vagina still feel the same? I am worried my vagina will be shortened after surgey? Also my doctor says it is an outpatient surgery is that hopeful thinking.
Unread 02-03-2010, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy5 View Post
hi i am scheduled for a supracervical da vinci sacrocolpopexy on feb 15. With the cervix still in place does the vagina still feel the same? I am worried my vagina will be shortened after surgey? Also my doctor says it is an outpatient surgery is that hopeful thinking.
This is my 5 th surgery for prolapse i am worried too about damage to my bowels or bladder.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.