Family doctor telling me not to wear hormone patch and ob telling me to wear hormone | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Family doctor telling me not to wear hormone patch and ob telling me to wear hormone Family doctor telling me not to wear hormone patch and ob telling me to wear hormone

Unread 01-05-2010, 08:07 PM
Family doctor telling me not to wear hormone patch and ob telling me to wear hormone

I don't know what to do i have a family physican that i found that is telling me to not wear the hormone patch and my obgyn is telling me to wear my hormone patch i don't know what to do? I don't know which one to listening to about my hormone patch? I just need help on tells me different and the other tells me another thing. Can someone please help me out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-05-2010, 08:36 PM
Re: Family doctor telling me not to wear hormone patch and ob telling me to wear horm

Fortunately I have one ovary saved and don't need HRT. My friend underwent the same surgery and her doc refused to let her keep an ovary and would not give her adequate reasons. I think she should have gotten a second opinion. She tried to make it a go without the patch and as she said, she went postal on her family and is now on the patch. I think you need to do research for yourself about side effects and such. My friend is a high risk and should not be on the patch but felt she "mentally" couldn't go without it. Maybe a second opinion but I would side more with the Gyne over the PCP.
Unread 01-05-2010, 11:30 PM
Re: Family doctor telling me not to wear hormone patch and ob telling me to wear horm

I talked to my doctor about this before surgery. The doc explained that if I had the hysterectomy and then went on the patch there would be little to no problem. The problems from HRT come from the patients who have had no hormones for years, and then suddenly they reintroduce hormones in the mix. It causes problems. These women are typically older too, therefor it is likely they would have more issues with starting hormones.

So, if you were just rudely thrust into menopause (via a total hystectomy) you should be OK taking the HRT.

I'd listen to the OB---she specializes in this,

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-05-2010, 11:55 PM

Thank you! The type of surgery that i has was a supercervical hysterectomy and i had my left ovary removed this year and my right ovary removed last year the family doctor i went is the first time i went to her. She got to personal asking me questions like when the acne started and when the facial hair started. I wanted to tell her i had it when i was little but i was bitting my tounge. Then the family doctor goes well i guess your obgyn is done seeing you wanted to say no i go back to him in october but i was again bitting my tounge.
Unread 01-06-2010, 02:55 PM

Doctors differ on their recommendations for ERT and HRT. I use estraderm patch and would not be without it. Do some research, there are benefits of ERT on future Health.
Weigh up any perceived risks according to your own situation, make sure you read correctly, and yes see your Ob/Gyn for better info, and please do not wait until next October. No need to bite your lip, we are brought up seeing Doctors as Authority figures when in fact we are paying them for their services, the quality of which is variable.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register