HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Question about scar healing... Question about scar healing...

Unread 01-06-2010, 06:29 PM
Question about scar healing...

I had the LSH almost 3 weeks ago. All four of the scars are healing a little differently. The one on the bottom that is in the bikini area is sore, and has a long 2 inch painful ridge... sort of next to the actual scar. While the incision doesn't look infected, the area next to it is painful, hard and raised a bit. Not horrible, just sort of take ibuprofen sore. Could it be a scar under the skin? How much more do they cut once they open the skin? It seems odd that it is next to the scar... is this something anyone else experienced?
Unread 01-06-2010, 10:57 PM
Re: Question about scar healing...

Any thoughts? Not sure what to do here...

thanks...
Unread 01-07-2010, 06:44 AM

I have some hard lumps next to my belly and right insicion also. Just figured it was/is scar tissue also. My right insicion is still pretty tender. I asked the doc about it and he told me he did alot of cutting right around there. That was were alot of my scar tissue attachted itself. Although, I am not a 100% sure that it's scar tissue, I think whatever it is,pretty normal. If you are in doubt, call your doc and ask. Best wishes
Unread 01-07-2010, 07:33 AM

Thanks, horseslover. Not sure if this is warrants a call to the dr or not. It is quite sore though, but not red or hot. It just seems weird that three weeks out it is feeling this way.
Unread 01-07-2010, 12:54 PM

Hi amber rose,

I have a ridge underneath my TAH bikini line incision. It follows the line in the middle, but goes up at the edges further than the incision line. I'm 6 weeks out now and didn't really notice it until about 3-4 weeks out. I assumed it was normal and just a ridge of stitches under the skin - or maybe several ridges of stitches as I don't know exactly what they did!

I had my 6 week check up today and my consultant looked at the incision and said it had healed well. He didn't mention the ridge, so I assume it's normal and doing well too!

Hope this helps,

Sarah xx
Unread 03-31-2010, 09:09 AM

I'm also 3 weeks out and went back to work yesterday. One of my incisions is now swollen around the area. Wonder if this is normal?
Unread 03-31-2010, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LP24 View Post
I'm also 3 weeks out and went back to work yesterday. One of my incisions is now swollen around the area. Wonder if this is normal?
if it looks red or feels hot, get it checked out! it may be just irritation form going back to work, but it could also be an infection getting started and you dont want that.

remember you are still healing and take things easy!
Unread 03-31-2010, 12:38 PM

Went to the Dr. to have it checked out. It's not uncommon for your stomach to swell up after this. Bloating should go away after a couple weeks but need to take it easier.
Unread 03-31-2010, 01:01 PM

I had a laproscopic surgery for gallbladder removal in 2007... The scars were sensitive, dark, raised and ugly for about 6-10 months.. But now I cant even see them... DH and I were comparing my bikini incision to the lap scars, hoping it will heal as nicely... don't get my wrong, my incision looks very nice!! It's just the hanging little pooch that's really bugging me.. didn't have it before the bikini incision.. does this go away with time too?? LOL
Unread 03-31-2010, 02:23 PM

amber rose - what was the outcome? I do know that they cut through the fascia layer; I got to see mine under my incision when a knot poked through the incision, keeping it open a bit. It was all stitched up. I would guess that if the sewing isn't directly underneath the skin, or moves, then it could lead to that. But did you have it checked out?

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.