HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Can't find Estratest, not doing well on Estradiol Can't find Estratest, not doing well on Estradiol

Unread 01-07-2010, 04:23 AM
Can't find Estratest, not doing well on Estradiol

I have been taking the generic for Estratest DS for the past year and it had worked wonders!

I feel like I'm crazy here... Been "pharmacy hopping" to find even the generic form of Estratest DS and/or HS and its just not there. Alot of pharmacies tell me they have a small supply on hand, but that when they check with their suppliers they can no longer order it. What is a 32-year old supposed to do.

My doctor changed me to Estradiol and I have only been on it for six days and I'm a CRAZY *****!!!! I can't sleep, I cry, I yell, I'm having hot flashes that are nuts, I laugh, I cry, I'm happy, I'm mad, and my poor husband... Like I said, I feel like my theme song should be "Crazy *****!"

Any help?????
Unread 01-07-2010, 05:14 PM
Re: Can't find Estratest, not doing well on Estradiol

Have you tried the Vivelle Dot? I love it, bio-identical, time released patch. It worked wonders for me, I initially tried a compound pharmacy but found the hormones seemed to wear off mid-day. I like that the patch reminds me of when my ovaries were present and working properly. : )
Unread 01-07-2010, 07:32 PM

Hi cdh27!

I have been taking a generic form of Estratest FS (Full-Strength) called EEMT (Esterfied Estrogens/ Methyltestosterone) for several years. I just picked up my prescription from my local pharmacy today, in fact.

If I were you I would ask to speak to the senior pharmacist at the pharmacy at which you have previously purchased this medication to ask what is going on. Based on my own continued, routine purchase of this medication it seems like something is amiss with what you have been told regarding its availability.

s,
Unread 01-08-2010, 09:30 AM

I agree, talk to the pharmacist again. It is still available. Also, what you were taking has testosterone in it and plain estradiol does not. They put you on something totally different. No wonder you feel crazy. BTW, I so feel for you, been there and done all those things you said. You are right," Crazy" is the theme song.
Did your insurance stop covering what you were taking ? Some times when they do that stuff they recommend another drug. Sometimes a pharmacy isn't getting a lot of scripts for a drug and they don't stock it. Someone may have just been too lazy to order it for you.
Demand your correct meds. Someone in your town carries that drug.
Unread 01-08-2010, 10:57 AM

I would keep checking different pharmacies. I used a large chain for my pain patch for years. Than they changed manufacturers for the generic version, which caused me to blister. I went to several different pharmacies, and finally found one that although they didn't stock it, they would order it for me. They now keep it in stock for me.

BTW, I checked with my old pharmacy about ordering the specific generic brand and their policy would not allow them to. The pharmacist called me and told me he did order it, but they shipped the other one.

Keep checking and shopping. Be sure to go in person and talk directly with the pharmacy manager, not just the person helping at the counter.
Unread 01-08-2010, 11:14 AM

Estratest is no longer produced - it was a brand name that was duplicated by so many generics 'the company' decided to stop making it.

I am on EEMT was 1/2 dose now am full dose. It is the generic that my DR ordered as the replacement for my Estratest (changed RX this September 2009.)

Hope this helps.
Unread 01-09-2010, 12:21 PM

I googled EEMT and it is the same as Estratest . I did not know that. The strength of EEMT is 0.625 for estrogen and 1.25 for the est. I don't know if they make a stronger version.I could never use this formulation b/c I am very sensitive to Test and even the 1.25 is too much for me. I recall a few times having it compounded at a different strength, ie, 1.25 estrogen and I believe a .5 Test. I liked that pretty well. My current doc is very against oral estrogen and test due to liver pass. He is using patches and gels only. I have often wondered if i used it sublingually if it would bypass the liver and be OK.
V
Unread 01-09-2010, 12:56 PM

V, I do know that when my DR ordered it in Sept he asked for 1/2 strength, and he was adamant that the pharmacist understood.

What is liver pass, if bypasses the liver is the meaning, what happens if it does not?
Unread 01-09-2010, 06:15 PM

21gardens
here is a good link that discuses all the routes drugs can introduced into the body and how the body processes them. first link is
How the Liver works
http://www.lpch.org/diseasehealthinf.../liverant.html

Routes for drug administration
http://www.merck.com/mmhe/sec02/ch011/ch011b.html

If one can avoid having to ingest a drug it is so much easier on the liver . Our liver can get overworked and also we may not get the full amount of the drug if we take it orally. ( or it can get broken down so we don't get full amount --- think of the liver as the toll booth money collector. Everything that is in ingested into body has to go through the liver, the toll booth)).that is why the dosages are different of oral, and trans dermal routes. My husband takes Testosterone and he uses the gel and his doc is adamant that he does not get it orally b./c it can cause significant liver damage eventually.
I think the link will explain this better than I can >
Unread 01-09-2010, 07:15 PM

V, Thank you! I will check the information out. I take about 6+ RX's and Vitamins. 13 separate pills, not including colace-3 (at each good meal), Iron-1, and C.

The 13 I take all at once in the AM. Two are multiples due to dosage. I have always wondered how my body handles such a crazy amount each AM. Then after surgery adding to this during the day was about the last straw! Ahhhhh, and then there is the Milk of Maggie, Fleet, ............

Thank you for your help!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.