HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Where can I find images of what our insides look like after hysterectomy? Where can I find images of what our insides look like after hysterectomy?

Unread 01-07-2010, 08:42 AM
Where can I find images of what our insides look like after hysterectomy?

I've been looking on line, but I haven't been able to find images of what we look like after the hysterectomy. I had my uterus and fallopian tubes removed. I would like to see images of just what my ovaries are attached to... what holds them in. Also what exactly fills the space after the uterus is removed... Is it all colon? or does the bladder plop over into the space?
Unread 01-07-2010, 08:47 AM
Re: Where can I find images of what our insides look like after hysterectomy?

Great question. I have wondered this myself. I just want to know- not actually see.
Unread 01-07-2010, 09:03 AM

My doctor showed me a picture of what it all would look like and explained that the intestines just gradually settle into the space where the uterus had been. I don't know about the bladder. Our organs don't actually look all beautiful and organized like they do in pictures, anyway.

As for the ovaries, mine are now attached to some of the ligaments that had been attached to the uterus.
Unread 01-07-2010, 09:12 AM

fritzi64, how nice that your dr showed you a picture... so are you saying that the surgeon specifically attached your ovaries to the ligaments after the removal of the uterus?

I would still love to see a picture if one is out there. I kept my cervix, so I am wondering if right on the other side is my colon sitting there... or something else.
Unread 01-07-2010, 09:23 AM

Yes, amber rose, my ligaments were attached to my ovaries during my hysterectomy. I was glad my ovaries weren't floating around in there!
Unread 01-07-2010, 09:41 AM

I've been wondering about this myself. I found one illustration titled Distortion of Pelvic Anatomy Following Hysterectomy on the Internet- but don't know if that's what always happens or could happen? Do we all "fall in place" roughly the same or vary individually?

Would also love to know if any sisters have more details on this subject. Good question.
Unread 01-07-2010, 12:39 PM

If you google the words "anatomy after hysterectomy" it will show a medical site you can go to that shows a stock photo of what your insides look like after a hysterectomy.

I am in my second year of med school so I have pictures in my anatomy and physiology book that shows what my insides now look like, the website shows the same thing I have in my book.

Basically the intestines will fill the "gap" left behind, but it isn't like they just fall suddenly into the space, it is gradual.
Hope this helps.
Unread 01-07-2010, 02:23 PM

My doc took a before picture, but not an after picture. She gave me a copy to keep.
Unread 01-07-2010, 02:39 PM

Thank you, superbouncyball and giggles_1. I will take a look online with the searches you are suggesting.

mkleu, that is so interesting that your dr took a before photo... I would have been very interested to see a before of mine.
Unread 01-07-2010, 03:07 PM

I have wondered that same thing! Actually, I didn't realize how much the fibroids can affect the bladder and found out that my tipped backwards uterus was actually pulling my bladder back. Now that it is gone, I can actually go to the bathroom normally! My DR said that it will move back into position where it should have been.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.