HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

gyn can't find ovary gyn can't find ovary

Unread 01-18-2010, 01:56 PM
gyn can't find ovary

I went to a new gyn when my previous one retired. During the exam, she pressed on my pelvic area and asked if I felt pain. It actually felt as though I had gas, not really pain, but only on one side. Because I have a strong family history of breast cancer (my mother also died from uterine cancer), she ordered a pelvic ultrasound. It is scheduled for tomorrow and I am very frightened. I don't really think I have any other symptoms of ovarian cancer, but it's funny what the mind can do, especially when I find myself poking at my abdomen all the time to look for pain. I'm 62, have no children and I know that I'm a prime candidate. I've been told before that I have fibroids. They were seen during laparoscopies that I had during an IVF attempt many years ago.Today I called the gyn's office to ask more questions. The nurse told me that the ultrasound was ordered because the doctor could not feel my left ovary and I said that the area was sensitive. I know that I have to go through with the test, but I want to know why she couldn't feel the ovary. What reason could there be other than cancer? Any thoughts
Unread 01-18-2010, 02:30 PM
Re: gyn can't find ovary

mistlei!

First, take a deep breath! It's easy for our minds to race but please try not to worry too much. It's great that your new doc is being so thorough with the ultrasound, and you'll feel much better once you get the results from that. The not knowing is one of the hardest parts!

As for your "missing" ovary, I seem to recall either reading or being told that sometimes after menopause and as we ladies age, the ovaries do recede, sometimes to the point where they're hard to find. And, they don't have to be perfectly symmetrical, either.

Hopefully, you'll get an "all-clear" once your testing is complete. Either way, there's a ton of wonderful ladies here who can help with information and support. You are not alone!

monami
Unread 01-18-2010, 02:33 PM

I've had a couple of ultrasounds over the years, and they always had a very hard time finding my left ovary. The first ultrasound was like yours when the doc felt it was "funny" - she never explained - they saw it momentarily on the external pass but could not for the internal (and unfortunately for me we extremely persistent in trying! ow!)

When I finally had my hysterectomy, it turned out the ovary was adhered to - i guess - my colon or something - they had a bit of work to get that ovary out apparently, but it was perfectly healthy. And tho I did have some tenderness on that side for a couple of weeks everything healed up just fine.

HTH
Unread 01-18-2010, 02:56 PM

Thank you both for replying so quickly. I had heard about this wonderful site in the past... not knowing that I would be visiting. It's so much more reassuring to hear words from real people than to go searching for a website that addresses your exact problems. I am taking many deep breaths today. Dread trying to drink all the water before the scan tomorrow.
Unread 01-18-2010, 03:08 PM

oh yeah, its a lot of water - but it passes quickly! (literally)
Have you ever had an ultrasound before?

Oh, and my shy ovary had nothing to do with having (very early) endometrial cancer - that was due to unopposed estrogen.
Unread 01-18-2010, 03:16 PM

I guess it will take a little bit of time before I learn how to maneuver around this site. I've read so much about the vague symptoms... It's been a month since I saw the doctor... there were the holidays and a couple family emergencies, and mostly the fear. In the interim, I learned that yet another female in the family has breast cancer. I have started looking for symptoms OvCa. There is no pinpointed pain... more like gas pressure and it moves to a few different places on my left side... sometimes down in the crease of my pelvis, sometimes in the center, and sometimes up toward my belly button. I seldom feel it unless I focus on it... which, at this point is way too often. Yes, the waiting is difficult.
Unread 01-18-2010, 03:23 PM

I took premarin and prometrium for a few years. The doctor guaranteed me that they were safe and that she was taking the same thing. I never took a high dosage... just trying to get rid of the night sweats. It worked for a while. I was weaned off about 4 years ago. The sweats are back. Through the night, they an be timed to every 1 1/2 - 2 hours. I've looked for information as to whether they can be indicative of a problem or just dragging out menopausal symptoms.
Unread 01-19-2010, 10:38 AM

Hi, I also had a "missing" ovary; was post-menopausal when they went looking for it and yes they do move around. In fact neither the sonogram nor a CTscan found mine but my surgeon did during the hysterectomy.
I am hoping you get good news from the sonogram. Pls remember If cancer is even suspect, do consider a consultation with a gyn/onc if only for better peace of mind. Pls keep us posted.
Unread 01-19-2010, 05:01 PM

as for help navigating the site, I just bookmarked this forums thread listing page - for some reason, this forum is really hidden! (but we weasel in anyway - lol!)

Hope the sonogram was easy today
Unread 01-19-2010, 05:45 PM

Hi Mistlei,
Also for some more help re navigating, pls check out New Here? just click here to get there. http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/view_newwelcome.html

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.