HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Should I be waking up with lower back pain 6 weeks after my hysterectomy? Should I be waking up with lower back pain 6 weeks after my hysterectomy?

Unread 01-19-2010, 06:27 PM
Should I be waking up with lower back pain 6 weeks after my hysterectomy?

Hello!

Today, I'm 6 weeks post op. I had a LAVH BSO on Dec. 8. My lower back has been hurting off and on. This morning I woke up and my lower back hurt! Is this normal? Or should I be concerned? I see my dr. for my 6 week post op appt on Thursday. I plan to ask him about this, but thought I'd hear from women who have had this experience. Thanks!!
Unread 01-19-2010, 10:41 PM
Re: Should I be waking up with lower back pain 6 weeks after my hysterectomy?

I am At 6 weeks post-op from a LSH and also am waking from lower back pain. I think it may be from increased activity. Let us know what the Dr. says. Take care.
Unread 01-19-2010, 10:57 PM

Hi, I had my hysterectomy on Oct. 19 and have had lower back pain since. I saw my doctor this past week and asked about it. I was told it is normal and could last up to 6 months. He said one reason for the back pain is the positions we are put in during the surgery and something to do with the stomach muscles. He said that physical therapy may help to strengthen the muscles. I hope you all feel better soon and I am really hoping that it does not take 6 months.
Lynn
Unread 01-20-2010, 12:12 AM

Well I'm sure it's prudent to tell your doctor about back pain, but in my case it's TOTALLY related to the inactivity since my surgery. My pain is higher up in the shoulder blade area and it hurts horribly today. My lower back is a little tweaked too. I was really restricting my activity the last few days because of bleeding on Sunday and I'm really paying the price. When you are more immobile than normal and are doing a lot of sitting/laying down it is really hard on the back. Your core muscles get weaker and the body doesn't like it. I'm looking forward to getting more walking in and getting stronger so that my back will be stronger too.

I did get a massage today and it REALLY helped a lot. To keep the massage safe, I had the therapist use a massage chair where you lean forward but are not putting any pressure on the abdomen. I was also able to lay on my back on the table and have the therapist massage my shoulders and neck from that angle too. Another hint for aching muscles is a heated pad of some sort. I have one that is filled with herbs that I heat up in the microwave and it is heaven. It is probably my favorite post op thing that I have!
Unread 01-20-2010, 03:17 AM

I had my LSH Oct 27th and yes I have the lower back pain. It's from the surgery, it has weakened the muscles in the abdomen to support the back. Well, I am back exercising. Hopefully I'll be back to my weightlifting and ab workouts. However, I have to ease back into it very slowly.
Unread 01-20-2010, 06:16 PM

Thanks for your responses, Ladies!!

I go see the dr tomorrow morning. I will post what he says after I get home from work.

Unread 03-13-2010, 01:09 PM

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back!

My dr checked my urine to make sure I didn't have a bladder infection. I didn't, so he told me the lower back pain could be related to my weak abs. Since then, I have noticed a decrease in my lower back pain.

Thanks again Ladies for your answers and help!
Unread 03-13-2010, 02:11 PM

I'm glad you found out the source of your pain. I have started back full force doing abs 2 a week for two weeks now. Not as much back pain as before. Next week I will be doing abs everyday. Once your dr. has released you to do abs ease into it slowly and build the muscle so that you can endure more later on.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway