Scheduled TAH Missing Ovary? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Missing Ovary? Missing Ovary?

Unread 01-22-2010, 10:34 AM
Missing Ovary?

I had a Pelvic Ultra Sound in Aug and the tech couldn't find my right ovary. Even asked if I had it surgically removed. Well I didn't and she said Oh..well that happens and its no big deal.

Just had a Vaginal Ultra Sound two weeks ago and that tech asked the same thing!

Is it really common for an ovary to go missing? Could the andeo/endo/fibroids just be hiding it? I did have a tubal ligation 12 years ago and makes me wonder if it is really there?

No tech or Drs seem over concerned about it. But I wonder if it will affect me having functioning ovary's after my TAH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-22-2010, 02:55 PM
Re: Missing Ovary?

I would not worry about it. Ovaries can move around in the pelvis a bit, and it's not unusual for one or both to be difficult or impossible to spot in an ultrasound, which can only 'see' at certain angles and can't see through other structures.

Good luck with your surgery!

s,
-Linda
Unread 01-22-2010, 03:37 PM

They were well into my surgery before the found my left ovary. They said it was hiding . (^_^)

I can't imagine that having one ovary before hysto and after would be any different.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-22-2010, 04:32 PM

I guess my thinking is..if its hard to find that its not viable....but I'm learning that's might not be the case.

My thinking was that the Hysto would put to much stress on the one healthy one.

I'm struggling with the whole ovary issue to begin with..and I just want to be as informed as possible.
Unread 01-22-2010, 08:38 PM

Hey there

My ovaries were so small that they hardly ever showed up in ultrasounds and i had lots of them. I just had them removed and the dr said they were little more than strips of tissue which is why no one could see them.

Still in my case better out than in and I got pics of the little things and my uterus as well!!
Unread 01-24-2010, 12:36 PM

I assuming my Dr. will make the decision to keep them or not when she is in there.

This is one of the unknowns that make me nervous.
Unread 01-24-2010, 01:48 PM

My right ovary also liked to hide. I had huge fibroids that were blocking its view. During the TAH, the doc was able to get to it and tack it up in a convenient place in case he ever has to go back in and take the ovaries out.

Good luck!
Unread 01-24-2010, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysteelerfan View Post
I assuming my Dr. will make the decision to keep them or not when she is in there.

This is one of the unknowns that make me nervous.
Don't EVER go into the operation not knowing whats coming out or staying in. I made the decision after reading info here that I wanted my ovaries out so at the pre op and then again outside surgery I asked to have my overies out. This is your body and if you feel strongly about it make it known.

It made me feel heaps better knowing what was happening, I made a list of why I wanted them out but my advice talk to your doctor NOW not later.

Good luck
Unread 01-24-2010, 06:43 PM

I told my doc I wanted to keep my ovaries, but told him that he could take them if he got in there and saw a serious medical issue that made him believe that they should come out. I trusted his medical expertise in this case. Fortunately, they looked great so he left them in.

But if you definitely want them to come OUT, then it shouldn't even be a question. Just tell your doc to take them out.
Unread 01-24-2010, 06:53 PM

I have given my Dr the choice to take them if they are not viable. We have discussed my preference of keeping them. But if they have no or limited function then I trust her to make a reasonable choice of removing one or both.

My concern as I have stated before is I wonder if the missing right ovary is even functioning and will this put stress on the left ovary if that is the case...and will that end up in ovary failure anyway? So should this is where I'm relying on my Drs opinion and experience.

The unknown that I am scared of is surgery induced menopause if it would come to that. I am only 35 and really did not want to deal with that yet.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register