HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Saliva Test Results- Sex Hormones Saliva Test Results- Sex Hormones

Unread 01-31-2010, 04:02 PM
Saliva Test Results- Sex Hormones

Hi,

I've been having alot of problems and recently had my hormones tested via saliva.
I had my ovaries removed in 2004. I was recently diagnosed with hypothyroid and adrenal fatigue.

I'm hoping someone can give me some insight on these labs.
Are they good, bad or indifferent?? LOL

I am presently taking 1 pump of Estrogel every few days. I was on progesterone but stopped about a month before the tests. Anyway here are the results.
One thing that confuses me is they based the results on a postmenopausal woman. So it's a bit confusing. Obviously I am using HRT to try to not have menopausal symptoms.

I am 52 years old.

Estradiol 4.7High Range -(0.5-1.7 )Postmenopausal
( optimal 1.3-1.7)

Progesterone 155High Range - (12-100)
Ratio: Pg/ES 33L - Optimal 100-500 (when E2 1.3-3.3)

Testosterone 42.7H Range 16-55 (Age Dependant)
DHEAS 2.1 LOW Range (2-23)

Cortisol A.M. 1.0 Range 3.7-9.5

Comments are that my Estrogen, Progesterone and Testosterone are all too high. And the ratio between estrogen and progesterone are low.

It was also mentioned that if my husband was using topical testosterone it could have skewed the tests. He does.

suggestions please??

Are these tests even worth looking at?
Unread 01-31-2010, 04:45 PM
Re: Saliva Test Results- Sex Hormones

I can't really say too much about whether the saliva tests are "good" or "bad". I'm a bit fuzzy on that one myself. What I did want to comment on was testosterone transference from your husband. It happened with me. It probably went on for a couple of years! My testosterone was approximately 30 times higher than it should have been. I felt like I was coming unglued all of the time. I made it a point to read the inserts in his Androgel and also some info online. They do warn that this can happen. His Dr didn't mention it to us though. He is now very careful about where he applies it. He also showers before getting into bed. He only applies on areas covered by clothing. My level came back down to normal once he changed these things. I'm not sure if our bodies can convert very efficiently, but I think it is possible for some of the testosterone to be converted to other hormones.
Unread 01-31-2010, 11:51 PM

(((shallie))) how do you feel? That is much more important than the numbers. And you're right, it makes no sense that they gave you only postmenopausal reference ranges. They should have given you the range of reference ranges for each hormone. When I've gotten my results, it's given me my number and then a series, based on age and menopausal status, of reference ranges to compare to so I can compare to the range I want to.

Also, for me, the saliva test results were not nearly as reflective of how I felt as the blood test results were, especially for progesterone. It is a documented artifact of saliva testing that users of transdermal progesterone can have saliva results that are off the charts high (ie in the thousands) when in reality they are just fine.

Bottom line, though, is that most DRs prefer to go by symptoms and not by test results.

s,
-Linda
Unread 02-01-2010, 09:34 AM

Thanks for the responses.

How do I feel? Well, quite lousy right now. I get serious hot flashes. However, I am not convinced they are due to estrogen. It seems something more is going on here. I feel that the testosterone results are not accurate. I am so convinced that testosterone is low. And wouldn't it make sense that if DHEAS is so low that it would as well.

It took me 5 years for someone to finally diagnose me with hypothryoid ; and low cortisol. A NP dr. diagnosed me on symptoms, and then the blood work proved him right.

I am considering trying to get on bi-est, progesterone and see how I feel on that. I had been taking estrogel.

At what point and what age do we stop the HRT , I am 52 years old and I have days where the brain fog is so bad I can hardly work.

Thanks
Unread 02-01-2010, 11:02 AM

I found my saliva testing NOT to reflect how I felt. Plus how do we determine where we fit (range-wise) on the menopausal scale while using HRT?

I would request bloodwork and compare results. See if one matches your symptoms better than the other.

My current dr (ob/gyn) insists on saliva testing. My endocrinologist insists on bloodwork. The results are quite different. The bloodwork results are closer to how I feel though.

And I don't every plan to stop the HRT. Might decrease levels as I get older, but I think I really need those hormones for good health.
Unread 02-01-2010, 01:26 PM

Hi shallie!

I've never had the saliva testing done but I have had blood testing. The tests indicated that I had normal levels even though I didn't feel normal. So, while it might be helpful to know what the levels are, it can be misleading, too. Thankfully my compounding pharmacist and doctor took my symptoms into account and tweaks were made to my hormone therapy until I felt like me again. I have no idea what my levels are now but I do know that whatever they are, they are just right for me.

As for when to stop taking hormone therapy, that's up to you and your doctor(s). My doctor is supportive of my use of hormone therapy the rest of my life if that's my choice. I'm 53 now with no intention of stopping the use of hormone therapy without compelling reason to quit. I need it for quality of life. I do get an annual well woman checkup which includes a mammogram, breast and pelvic exams a Pap test and any testing my doctor feels is necessary. So far, so good!

Be careful with tweaking and change only one thing at a time, giving each change several weeks at the least to work before changing anything else. It is helpful to keep a journal of the process so you have a written record to share with the doctor who is helping you find balance.

Good luck to you!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.