HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Depression, cold hands and feet, insomnia after surgery Depression, cold hands and feet, insomnia after surgery

Unread 01-31-2010, 08:06 PM
Depression, cold hands and feet, insomnia after surgery

I had a LSH( kept ovaries) Jan 18. The next day I had insomnia and still do. I have had cold hands and feet, depression, hot flashes, and mood swings. I realize that I had all of these four months ago but to a lesser extent. I never associated the depression and cold hands and feet to menopause. I figured they were from my anemia I developed in August, which was due to a series of back to back periods (I had fibroids). In August, it was as if I woke up one day and was a different person-- again linking it to the anemia. Based on how I felt then, I couldn't imagine how I had accomplished what I had up to that point. Now, I feel like that but 10X worse.
I understand the surgery could temporarily heighten the symptoms of menopause, but I never knew that what I was experiencing August - December was linked to menopause and not just to anemia( which at the time my doctor said was not that bad--based on my iron levels).
My post op is this Wednesday. I spoke with the nurse on Friday and she told me that the surgery probably disturbed the ovaries and resulted in a hormone upheaval, which triggered insomnia.

I now realize that my sleep patterns changed way before the surgery. Most of my adult life, I went to bed at 10 but two years ago I started going at 11:30 and waking up later two years also. I didn't link that to anything menopausal.

I see the doctor on Wednesday for my post-op visit. What should I do? I can't live like this. My major concern is the depression and lack of motivation. Again, these both started in August but are now worse.
Unread 01-31-2010, 08:23 PM
Re: Depression, cold hands and feet, insomnia after surgery

Novmtdora -

Make sure you talk to your Dr. about this, discuss your options for HRT.

Dealing with symptoms is one of the reasons that many women go on HRT, it is a quality of life issue.

Sending you that you find something that works for you.

G.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.