HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Bladder Sling and Pressure - How long does this last? Bladder Sling and Pressure - How long does this last?

Unread 02-03-2010, 07:58 PM
Bladder Sling and Pressure - How long does this last?

I wish there was more information available for those of us who have had the bladder sling information as it seems hard to find, and I know there are several that have had this done. I am 22 days post op and have a pressure sensation when I get toward the end of urinating. It was finally going away at about two weeks and it was so wonderful. However, it has come back. I'm trying to figure out if this is still part of the healing process, if it's from my foot slipping off the edge of the tub (my gyn doctor wasn't concerned since I haven't had any bleeding), or something else. I notice if I drink caffeine, which I've had very little of since sugery, that it can be irritating and haven't had any of that since Saturday. I know I probably need to drink more water, but does anyone else have this problem? How long did it last? I'm considering calling my urologist tomorrow.

Unread 02-03-2010, 10:14 PM
Re: Bladder Sling and Pressure - How long does this last?

I had a bladder sling almost a year ago. I had LOTS of pressure after my surgery. In fact I think it was more problems than the rest of my issues. It got better if I remember correctly after approx. 2 months. Are you using any kind of hormones? I was using Premarin and then Ogen and started having leaking and lots of pressure about 3 months out. I started reading about the lack of estrogen and how you can STILL have issues because of the bladder walls. I was started on a hormone cream (bioidentical) and I have NOT looked back. It was the BEST thing I ever did. So have hope that it will get better. And if you are not on hormones you might consider it.
Unread 02-04-2010, 06:49 PM

Thanks for the information. No, I am not on any hormones as I had a blood clot years ago and my doctor wanted to run blood tests to determine if they would be contraindicated. We have found out it is not, but I also have cardiomyopathy so before I can take anything it has to be cleared by my cardiologist. My gyn doctor said to see what menopause symptoms I have and we'd go from there. So far, I seem to only be having hot flashes but will definitely ask about this when I go back for my 6 week check. I have an appointment with the urologist as well just to make sure everything is okay since I slipped getting out of the shower. It will ease my mind.
Unread 02-04-2010, 08:16 PM

Hi,
I am at my 7 week mark and I also am having issues with my bladder sling. I went to my gyn (uro/gyn) and he said it could take up to 6 months for it to heal. I guess I am still having spasms - It is pretty much like I never had the surgery and possibly a little worse. From what I have read, and speaking to my doc, I think it is totally normal. He actually put me on Vesicort to help. I am going to be on it for 3 months and then go off - at that point we will see if my bladder is healed.
Hope this helps. Hang in there!
Unread 02-05-2010, 05:45 PM

Hi joining for support,
I agree, I wish there was a "bladder sling" grp. I am 3 1/2 weeks post TVH/SBO with sling and I'm having some of the same kind of issues. I pee different and it takes a lot longer to empty my bladder. I aslo get a spasm towards the end and have to wait it out. I started taking AZO which seems to help. I only need about 1 dose per day to keep my bladder comfy. My DR had said that it could take up to 6 months to get everything to settle down. It is great that I can now cough, laugh, sneeze etc. and not pee my pants.

nurseonthego
Unread 02-05-2010, 09:26 PM

Wonder who we could talk to about a bladder sling group. I think I'll post something and see what I get for a response. Not sure how it works on here. I did go see my urologist today because last night it was so painful to pee that I didn't want to. He put me on cipro in case I have a UTI until the culture comes back. He also gave me Pyridium to basically numb my urinary tract so it doesn't hurt to pee! Oh what a relief that has been. I read the warnings and glad I did because it makes my pee orange-red. It also said if I cry my tears may be orange-red. I hope I don't find that part out. I also asked him what type of sling operation I had because I've seen different types on here and I kept hearing that I had a SPARC procedure. I asked him what that was and he told me SPARC is just initials. He said SPARC is to bladder sling like beer is to Budweiser! At least he has a sense of humor. My sling was a TOT. At least now I know. He gave me 3 days of meds, so we'll see what he says on Monday. Now I have to eat 3 meals a day (haven't had much appetite since surgery) as the meds have to be taken with a meal. I hope everyone else starts feeling better, too. He did tell me I have a lot of stitches still in place (I guess I thought most would have dissolved by now), so I am expecting them to take a while. He also told me he doesn't want me pushing myself when I go back to work at 6 weeks and will do whatever he needs to to make sure that doesn't happen. YEAH! I, too, am hppy to no pee my pants any more either. Guess that's the up side of this right now.
Unread 02-06-2010, 10:00 AM

I'm 8 weeks post op, and I still have trouble emptying my bladder. My urologist assured me that this is normal and could take 6 months to a year to improve. It's nothing more than an inconvenience at this point, so I'm not at all worried about it. I figure if this is the worst thing, I'll live with it! I had a TVT along with hyster and A & P repairs...
Unread 02-06-2010, 07:14 PM

I found out that the place for all of our bladder sling issues is to go to the pelvic floor forum. So, guess I'll check there and see what's on it. Just thought I'd let everyone else know in case you didn't know either.
My urologist said my bladder is emptying well (did a bladder check yesterday when I saw him). I will have to ask when I seem him next how long it can take to be "normal," if there is such a thing. I had a TVH, BSO, AP repair and TOT. Guess the waiting to get better is the hard part.
Unread 05-16-2010, 08:19 PM

did ya'll ever make a group? If so can you direct me there. Thus far my bladder sling is my biggest post op issue.
Unread 05-16-2010, 10:16 PM

I had my surgery the week before Thanksgiving, I had a hysterectomy, kept my ovaries, had bladder sling and also had gallbladder out too. My biggest issue now, 6 months later is the bladder part. I feel like I no longer control my urine to some degree, I feel like I need to go and sometimes I have to just sit there and wait until it just comes out on its own. It seems like I have to just totally relax for it to come and sometimes it takes 10-15 minutes. I can't make it come out. Just wondering if anyone else has this problem.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.