HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Abnormal Pap 1 year after hysterectomy Abnormal Pap 1 year after hysterectomy

Unread 02-05-2010, 11:01 AM
Abnormal Pap 1 year after hysterectomy

Hi everyone,

I'm just a little frustrated about this. I had a hysterectomy in October of 2008. At the time, my doctor was going to remove my cervix along with my uterus but couldn't. My cervix and last remaining ovary were stuck to my intestines with scar tissue from endometriosis. Since I was so anemic at the time, he didn't want to risk more blood loss by trying to free it up.

Now, a year later my pap test came back with a finding of ASCUS. Even though that's usually a finding of nothing at all, he still did a colposcopy and a biopsy (which was more painful than I remembered when I had one done 20 years ago).

I just wish he had taken out my cervix when I had the hyst. I don't want to keep going through this. Has anyone else experienced abnormal paps after a hysterectomy? I don't know what could be causing this. I don't use tampons, I don't douche and I haven't had sex for almost a year. It's like it's just coming up out of the blue.

Thanks for letting me vent. I don't have anyone else to talk to who has been in this position.
Unread 02-05-2010, 11:06 AM
Re: Abnormal Pap 1 year after hysterectomy

Hi, sorry to hear this as I know it can be nervewracking. However, it can be from reasons that are nonscary.
Coincidentally, I was just about to post this question. In Nov. I had my first abnormal ASCUS pap ever. My hyst was 7/08. I was told it could either be from atrophic vaginitis due to the drop in hormones or from the radiation treatments I just finished 6/09. Did they have a 2nd look at your results. Apparently they can tell more than just the quick look the first lab did as far as whether cells appear precancerous or cancerous. The first report was pretty vague. It's to be redone every 3 months but I don't see how the results will turn normal if it's from atrophic since we can't use hormones. Do most women have ASCUS after hysterectomy? radiation?
Unread 02-06-2010, 03:53 PM

I'm sorry to hear you are having similar problems.

I did have dysplasia about 20 years ago and the doctor said it can all of a sudden come back years later. Not sure what triggers it though. He did send the pap for an HPV test to see if that was the cause but it wasn't.

It's interesting you mention atrophic vaginitis. Maybe I'm just getting older. I still have one ovary and I still get PMS but maybe my hormones are dropping and I'm not aware of it. I don't feel like I've hit menopause yet but at 45 I suppose it could be likely.

At least the finding are very likely nothing at all and could resolve on their own. I wish you all the best.
Unread 02-11-2010, 11:52 AM

I had hysterectomy nov 08 for Uterine cancer, cervix was not removed. Had paps every 3 months after, and last 2 were abnormal. No other treatment was required. Dr. Office just scheduled me for a copolscopy and possible biopsy in 3 weeks. It is scary, I thought I was out of the woods.... This is an office procedure so no prep etc. Anyone have similar events?
Unread 02-11-2010, 12:02 PM

((Wolf64))

Prior to my hysterectomy, I had several paps in a row come back with abnormal/atypical cells. A colposcopy ruled out cancer issues and I didn't have HPV. Instead, it turned out that the endometriosis was the culprit! So, it is possible that is the problem for you.

I am sorry that your cervix could not be removed because of scarring and know that there are other ladies on the site who ran into the same issue. While that was not the issue for me, I did have endometriosis left on my bowel walls because my GYN was not comfortable working on the bowel. One little nick can become a life threatening condition!

I hope you find an answer and treatment soon! in there!

Unread 02-11-2010, 12:10 PM

Thanks for the encouragement.
Unread 02-11-2010, 01:14 PM

Well, I got the results from the biopsy. It showed dysplasia but my doctor said there wasn't enough tissue obtained during the biopsy to determine the severity of the dysplasia. (You could have fooled me. With all the pain during the biopsy, it felt like he pulled out quite a bit of tissue!)

So, now I am scheduled for a LEEP this coming Monday. Another office procedure but at least this time he will be using a local anesthetic. He said the LEEP will not only remove all the abnormal tissue but also let him determine if it is precancerous.

I was hoping this was something that would resolve on it's own over time but no such luck.
Unread 02-11-2010, 01:27 PM

What is a LEEP, please?
Unread 02-11-2010, 01:32 PM

LEEP stands for Loop Electrosurgical Excision Procedure. The doctor uses a wire with an electric charge to slice off tissue from the cervix. Apparently there is some burning and smoke involved so they need to use a smoke vaccum during the procedure.
Unread 02-11-2010, 01:50 PM

(((Wolf64)))

I am sorry you are facing another procedure! I do hope the LEEP is successful on Monday and there are no precancerous issues!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.