HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Calling All Equestriennes Who've had TAHBSO, Radiation & Lymphnodes Removed Calling All Equestriennes Who've had TAHBSO, Radiation & Lymphnodes Removed

Unread 02-08-2010, 12:46 AM
Calling All Equestriennes Who've had TAHBSO, Radiation & Lymphnodes Removed

Hi all! I'm hoping to get some info about the risk of pelvic fracture and the risk of lymphedema onset with falls. At this point, giving up horses is not an option, and actually not recommended by my docs -they think my riding is a good thing. But, I haven't been able to get firm or consistent answers about these issues, and I actually found out about the pelvic fissures issue after the fact from my GP (rather than my Rad-Onc. I'm schooling for 3-day eventing, and before my diagnosis/surgery/detour, I was planning to participate in a few local 3-day events.

Anyone else out there that had continued to ride/jump after radiation and lymphnode removal? My surgery was 7/6/09, and radiation finished first week of October. I was told by my GP not to 'fall off a horse' at least until March. Currently I'm riding my 'easy' horse on the flat, and just doing longe lessons with my rambunctious one.

Thanks!
Unread 02-08-2010, 11:22 AM
Re: Calling All Equestriennes Who've had TAHBSO, Radiation & Lymphnodes Removed

Hi Magichorse,

I am not an equestrienne, but I love to ride my (ATB) bike as if it were a horse.....

I was in for an appointment with my radiologist today and I told her I had some pain near my pubic bone. She said it might be as well pain in my pubic bone and told me that if it lasted for more than a couple of weeks I should have an X-ray b/c in some cases radiation can do damage to bones; it is called something like osteoradionecrosis (??). It is rare, and more likely to occur in patients who already have osteoparosis, but she had had recently a patient whose pubic bone had been fractures in several places after radiation.

I had never heard of it before.
Unread 02-08-2010, 02:26 PM

I have read where radiation to the hips, pelvis can cause osteoporosis, and you can have a bone scan to see the status of your bone density.
I have been a long distance runner for years so was extremely dissapointed
to have just had a bone density scan that shows my left hip in quite osteopenic, and my lumbar spine which was just out of the radiation field was completely normal.
My radiologist showed me a picture of my scan fields and the hips are included, but now as much as the pelvis, she felt it was not from radiation, but I am not too sure.
Get a bone density scan to see the status of your bones.
Happy jumping
Unread 02-09-2010, 10:19 AM

Magichorse,

My situation is a bit different than yours. I had a radical hyst on 12/16/08 for cervical cancer dx. Fortunately no further treatment was needed, so I can't speak to risks with radiation and chemo.

It was not an option for me not to ride either, that did more for me than therapy! I ride hunter/jumpers and was back in the saddle at the 4 wk mark after my surgery, as soon as my gyn/onc said it was ok to ride. My gyn/onc was rec to me by a riding friend who knew him because his daughters rode in her barn, so I feel that he gets the "horsey" thing. He also told me not to fall, for maybe the first 8 wks or something after surgery. I was very conservative until I got the clearance to jump, also stayed on the "safer" horse, etc.

I don't know too much about the risks of pelvic fracture and lymphedema, and actually hadn't discussed those with my doc. I mainly just wanted to give my encouragment to a fellow horse lover to keep riding, even if you have to go to dressage or something more conservative than 3 day eventing. That's my plan!

Please take your recovery conservatively as recommended so you don't damage yourself in the healing process. It took me quite a while to get back my core strength, maybe 9 months to a year from the surgery (without rads/chemo), which is pretty important when jumping. I also worked out in the gym to rebuild core strength as well.

stay in touch and let me know what your doc says!
Unread 02-09-2010, 11:02 AM

Thanks all for the info. I didn't even think about biking, but that's another sport that could have similar issues (I know I've wiped out a couple of times mountain biking ;-p ). I'm posting to other groups too, so if I find out anything I'll be sure to post here.
Unread 02-09-2010, 04:05 PM

Hey! I only meet two of your criteria as I have not had radiation, but I agree with the rest of the girls- keep riding and doing what you love to do! I used to jump with my Trakehner mare, but I have turned into a bit of a Dressage Diva with my Lip/Trak gelding. I figure that I can hurt myself on the ground or in the saddle or even crossing the street! Plus, doesn't weight bearing exercises help strengthen bones? Riding in two -point should surely help strengthen the pelvic area!
Unread 02-10-2010, 08:45 AM

Thank you! I've got a consult schduled for my bone density scan in March - between everyone's anecdotal info and some empirical info from the scan I should know more. Yeah -there is no way I can give up horses -as far as safety - heck -gardening is apparently a dangerous hobby for me too -I managed to fall off of the ONE step from my deck into my garden

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.