HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues > Mesh Erosion Support

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Positive outcomes from vaginal mesh removal stories? Positive outcomes from vaginal mesh removal stories?

Unread 02-13-2010, 06:40 PM
Positive outcomes from vaginal mesh removal stories?

Hi, I had the prolift vaginal mesh placed Oct 13, 2009 and then had to have a second surgery on Dec 15, 2009 for mesh erosion to bladder and through the vaginal wall. I continue to have pain in rt. hip and groin and vaginal pain and pelvic pain. I am to go to the Mayo Clinic in Mar to see about having as much of the mesh removed as possible. It has been a terrible nightmare. I cannot have sexual intercourse because it causes so much cramping. I am so scared about having another surgery. I just want my life back. My husband of 27 yrs has been so understanding, we had a great sex life before this mesh was inserted. I am 49 yrs. old and was in good shape. Just wanted to know if many ladies have had good luck with the mesh removal? I just need some reassurance regarding all of this. Thanks!
Unread 02-14-2010, 08:39 PM
Re: Positive outcomes from vaginal mesh removal

sghall82--

I do understand your pain. It can be awful. I despise mesh because of my own personal experiences with it. I had 2 removal surgeries and several 'in-office procedures' (which I do NOT recommend, btw). I finally got a different doctor for the last removal surgery. I interviewed several, went to 2 consults, and chose the one who'd do my last removal surgery. I wanted, no NEEDED, someone who knew what they were doing and would get all the rest of the nasty, icky despicable mesh O.U.T. of me.

I had cramping and pain and misery for so long after my anterior bladder mesh was first put in (at the same time as my original TVH). It was put in in 6/05. First removal was 12/05. Several in-office 'trimmings'--[Gosh, how I still utterly despise those painful, horrible 'trims'. They were like surgery without anesthesia. Truly.] --2nd removal 9/06 and then the final removal in 2/07.

The good news is I have not had any mesh problems since that surgery--NONE. Yay! I do still worry about the 'arms' of mesh left in that were 'too close to my bladder' and those vital nerves to remove BUT since all's been fairly well since then, I feel great. There really is light at the end of the tunnel.

I think it was key to find the right surgeon who knew exactly what to do. I also think it's key to remove all--or as much as humanly possible--to make your symptoms go away.

I hope you find the hope and help you need.

Unread 02-14-2010, 11:00 PM

I had the prolift removed at the Mayo Clinic a few years ago and I want to let you know that I am doing great! It took a long time to completely get back to normal, but I can tell you that sex now is better than it has been in years! Its like it was before kids.

I had a small amount of erosion from the prolift--but the big problem was pain with intercourse. I also had yucky discharge. I hope that you use the same doctor I did. If you want his name, e-mail me privately. I saw 2 doctors at the Mayo. The first urogyne I consulted with did not seem very interested in helping me. Luckily, the second one was very confident he could help me and he was great!

Good luck!!!!
Unread 02-15-2010, 10:41 AM

Thanks to both of you. I am so nervous about a third surgery in such a short time. I am praying for a less painful recovery. Please let me know what to expect. I am so thankful to talk with ladies that have been there before. I am so weary from the pain. I hope I do not have to have much vaginal tissue removed with the mesh. I heard that can cause trouble with intercourse. I feel so bad for my husband. We always enjoyed our sex-life. He is very patient and kind though. My self esteem is low at times.
Unread 02-16-2010, 10:50 AM

Nothing will totally ease your mind about surgery. There is always a bit of doubt in my mind, when I have it, to wonder if my problems will be taken care of or if I will just have a new set?

You can do a search here on Hyster Sisters for 'mesh removal' or even 'vaginal mesh removal' [blue box--upper right of the page here]. You will find many posts by the women here who have experienced it themselves and perhaps you can gain a better idea of what to expect? Recoveries can be so different for different people (as I'm sure you know).

Depending on how technical you want to get, you may even want to go to pubmed.gov and type in these same terms and see what case studies come up.

Wishing you the very best......
Unread 02-18-2010, 11:34 PM

I'm wondering ....how do they repair the prolapse after the mesh is removed??
I am putting off the whole thing because i absolutely will not have a mesh sling put in to my body.
Would love to hear from anyone out there who has had a repair without mesh.
ms t
Unread 02-19-2010, 06:26 AM

I was told that at the Mayo Clinic, they use fascia from your own body, that is a sheath-like material that covers your muscles. They do not use any synthetic mesh. also, sometimes after you have had the mesh, there is so much scar tissue, that it holds the bladder in place. I wish, I had been presented more options other than the mesh. I was just told it was the newest and long-lasting approach. I was in so much pain from the bladder spasms, I just grasped that idea and thought my Dr. knew "best". I am is so much pain, that I am homebound. I am praying I can hold on until I go to the Mayo Clinic Mar 15 for a consult.I hope to have the removal surgery as soon after that as possible. Our youngest daughter graduates from FSU May 1st. I have got to be well enough to attend the ceremony. If anyone would let me know how long it was before they were able to do anything after the mesh removal, I would love to hear from you. God bless. Susan
Unread 02-19-2010, 01:06 PM

I wanted to let you know that once I had the mesh removed, my doctor repaired my prolapses by using just stitches to hold up both my anterior and posterior prolapses. These are known as 'colporrhaphy' but without mesh support. It can be done.

My recovery was longer and my doctor had more restrictions for me at the time. He told me that I could not lift anything heavier than the TV remote for the first 10 days. I also was forbidden to drive during that time. It was pretty strict. Weight was gradually added each 2 weeks up until the limit of about 20-25 pounds at about 8 weeks post-op. I'm not really supposed to lift more than that to preserve the integrity of my repair the rest of my life. I have lifted slightly more than that (about 30 to maybe 33 lbs) but not more than that.

I'm doing well in that respect. However, having prolapse makes you prone to get it again in the future. So, I really wouldn't be surprised to have it again one day. I am grateful for the relief I've gotten from it for the past several years, however.

One thing I know for sure, I WILL NEVER GET POLYPROPYLENE MESH IN ME AGAIN. That is a given. I think it's unproved as a safe and effective vaginal implant and I would not recommend it for anyone I know or care about. That is my own personal opinion given my experience.

I wish everyone who is having upcoming removal surgery the very best. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Unread 02-19-2010, 02:16 PM

Thanks so much. Did they have to remove alot of the vaginal tissue to get the mesh out. My gyn told me that would be the case. He is also the one who did not tell me any of the possible complications or about the FDA warning. I hope the Mayo uro/gyn is positive about it. This has been one of the biggest negatives in my life's experiences. I am praying that I can hold on to my sanity during this wait to have the stuff taken out. They told me the surgery dates will be either Mar 19th or 20th. Meanwhile it feels like there is damage being done in there with all the pain I am having. I don't know what I would do if I had not found this website. Thanks to all of you very much. What a blessing. I appreciate the prayers.
Unread 02-19-2010, 09:39 PM

No, I didn't have vaginal tissue removed with the mesh as far as I know. I do have some tiny amount of scarring but that is to be expected with all the surgeries I had to remove the nasty, cursed stuff. The scars don't bother me. Rarely, I will feel an occasional slight 'twinge' if something directly impacts the scar but that is extremely rare. 99% of the time there is no pain of any kind. I also had adhesiolysis so I do wonder how much of the pain was due to that or mesh removal? I really don't know.

I have read on another group that some women still have pain after mesh removal. Sometimes, some nerve involvement such as 'entrapment' or something similar happens with this mesh mess. When that does occur, the pain can still be there after mesh removal. It really does depend on each individual and what is involved. Still, nearly every woman I have read about has had some relief of their symptoms as soon as the mesh was taken out of them as fully as possible. I was lucky/blessed enough to have nearly full relief once all my problems were taken care of.

May each one affected by this have the best possible outcome, too......

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.