HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Laparoscopic Total Hysterectomy Recovery Question Laparoscopic Total Hysterectomy Recovery Question

Unread 02-15-2010, 06:03 PM
Laparoscopic Total Hysterectomy Recovery Question

Hi everyone. I'm so glad that I found this site. I have finally scheduled my TH that hopefully will be able to be done laparoscopically.

I am interested in knowing the true recovery time for the laparoscopic procedure as long as there are no complications. I would love to hear from someone who has been through this already.

I am 30, in great shape and normally recover well. My Dr. says 4-6 weeks but I have been reading much less on different sites. I have no idea what to expect so I am hoping to hear some true life opinions.

Thanks!
Unread 02-15-2010, 06:41 PM
Re: Laparoscopic Total Hysterectomy Recovery Question

No matter whether it laprascopically (if thats spelt right) or abdominal incision the same thing happens internally. Everything does not heal until 6 weeks. However great you feel if you strain yourself internally something the surgeon has sewn together could literally rip apart. It then sticks incorrectly to something else inside you, not good. This can result in you having to go back for additional surgery. Check out the recovery check points in this website for what they suggest you can and can't do at each stage. I was tempted to to start doing more by 4 weeks but am so relieved I didn't.
Unread 02-15-2010, 06:50 PM

Thank you! It is so difficult to schedule this much time "off!" I know it has to be done but it is overwhelming to think of how I am going to plan for 4 weeks of downtime when I don't have 5 minutes to myself on any given day.
Unread 02-15-2010, 07:05 PM

I felt the same but with each week you can do just a bit more and if your surgeon oks it you can do little driving trips at 3 weeks. Any friend or family member that does not work full time, ask them to visit (and they get there own tea or coffee by the way). Also during that time you tend to re-evaluate your life. And really, 4 weeks of downtime in a lifetime is so small if you think about it!
Unread 02-15-2010, 07:09 PM

It will probably be nice to have 4 weeks of downtime. I have such a Type A - Go Go Go personality that it seems nearly impossible but I have a feeling that it will be a much needed vacation! Thank you for the advice. I am very lucky that my husband is able to take off from work as long as I need him too but I am certainly going to need visits from others!
Unread 02-15-2010, 07:54 PM

To be realistic- please take the 6 weeks off. Some women feel great at 4 weeks- and others take longer. I too was in good shape and am 42 yrs old. I was surprised at how long it felt to feel good. Follow the "Checkpoints" listed on this site because the doctors office does not always give the best info at discharge. Best of luck. Feel free to ask any questions. I am always happy to help any sister. This site has been so wonderful and helpful for me.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.