HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Foul Smelling Discharge 10 days after Hysto Foul Smelling Discharge 10 days after Hysto

Unread 02-16-2010, 08:04 AM
Foul Smelling Discharge 10 days after Hysto

Hi,
I am 30 years old and had a complete hysterectomy on 2.5.10 after 3 years of dealing with uterine fibroids, ovarian cysts, severe endometriosis and crazy bleeding that left me completely debilitated. I just had the hysterectomy 10 days ago and have had alot of pain. I think I probably did overdo it in the initial recovery period - I went up and down stairs and prepared meals etc... I have had continuous watery red discharge since the operation but now I am noticing that the discharge has taken on a very foul odor. I tried to go to my doctor yesterday but after checking in they told me that while I was in the hospital they sent me to collections because I missed ONE payment to them. I was extremely upset and emotional and ended up yelling something like "you'll never get another dime out of me" before stomping out of there. I am now concerned that I may have a vaginal infection although I do not have a fever. Can anyone comment on this? Have you had foul smelling discharge shortly after hysterectomy? Please help!
Unread 02-16-2010, 08:19 AM
Re: Foul Smelling Discharge 10 days after Hysto

Hi I am nearly 3 weeks, I too have a watery, but clear discharge, not very foul smelling, but still not nice. I have to see doc on Saturday! luckily its free in the uk. I am wearing a pad and not having baths, just showering twice a day. I will post what the doc says, but I am a bit more reassurred that I am not the only one
Unread 02-16-2010, 08:36 AM

I'd bet you have an infection. I had the same thing and my Dr prescribed me some anti-biotics. He said it's very common to get an infection after a hysterectomy.
Unread 02-16-2010, 09:12 AM

rachelb1980..........yes, my smell was so rotten. I called and emailed my Dr. numerous times, she just kept telling me it was normal. I went in in and she checked my for infection. I was ok......When I had endometrial ablation several years ago I remember the same smell and it lasted for weeks. This was also normal. Our insides heal at a slower pace than our outsides. Hang in there it will get better. I just took 2-3 showers a day, although it didn't help that much. I notice now 4 months post op that I have no smell at all, even at the end of the day. That to me is really weird. Take care.
Unread 02-16-2010, 10:29 AM

thanks for the info, I have read a few more posts and severl speak of a dischsrge, something about the disovable stiches inside, but I will still check it out with the doc, the last thing i want is an infection. Take care
Unread 02-16-2010, 10:37 AM

I did not have it but read on this site that the smell is either an infection or the stitches coming out, if you had them.
Unread 02-16-2010, 12:07 PM

I had my hyst on 1/19/10. I also had that foul smell my dr. Told me take foul smell is your stitches healing it will stop.
Unread 02-16-2010, 02:44 PM

My Dr. told me to mix 1/2 water 1/2 hydrogen proxide and use as a gentle rinse.
Good luck!
Unread 02-16-2010, 04:55 PM

I went to the doctor this afternoon and after a swab exam he discovered that I do have a vaginal infection... I dont have a fever or anything so he thinks I caught it very early. He put me on an oral antibiotic as well as a vaginal suppository. Hopefully that will clear it up! I also read about the stitches disolving but Im glad I went in - better safe than sorry I guess... Always best to get it checked out!!!

Thank you all for the replies! It feels really good to know there are other women out there who are going through the same thing! God Bless.
Unread 02-16-2010, 06:30 PM

I too have discharge post op 8wks will see surgeon this wk. Yuk will this ever end ???

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.