HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

TOT / A&P repair with mesh / perineoplasty TOT / A&P repair with mesh / perineoplasty

Unread 02-17-2010, 04:59 AM
TOT / A&P repair with mesh / perineoplasty

I am booked in for the 22nd March to have these procedures. And not that I am wishing my life away but I am dreading the operation and recovery so much I just wish it was all over already.

As the cystocele/rectocele have worsened my incontinence symptoms have lessened and are manageable. Which then makes me think I don't need the TOT, but of course the problem hasn't fixed itself it has just shifted for the time being. The constant pressure and aching is slowly driving me around the bend and making me cranky all day and I just want it to go away. Having had a hysterectomy and countless laparascopies over the years the thought of going through it all is quite depressing even though I know I need it done to improve my quality of life. I never thought at 42 I would be having to face all of this.

Does anyone have any good practical tips to get through all of this? I have no idea what to expect of my body after surgery, how has everyone else managed through their first days. I can see I'll be knocking myself out on pain medication and trying to sleep it all away.
Unread 02-20-2010, 07:09 PM
Re: TOT / A&P repair with mesh / perineoplasty

I had much of those same things done/redone in 2/07. I had mesh removed and then had A&P plus a perineoplasty (with attempted sphincter repair) done. I was on pretty strict restrictions afterwards. I was told to not lift anything heavier than the TV remote for 10 days and not to drive during that time. That was harder than you might imagine. I actually felt pretty good after about a week so waiting to do anything more was hard! Then, my doctor told me I could add a few pounds every 2 weeks until a reached the 'lifetime' limit of about 20-25 pounds. This took about 8 weeks overall. I kept my diet soft and took stool softeners during that those first few weeks, too.

I am glad I took the time to recover well. I do think it helped. I feel pretty good today. I'm definitely glad I had the work done. Though I do know that once you've had prolapse, you are prone to it developing again in your lifetime. I know if you are careful, you can keep it away for quite a few years, too.

I'm glad I let my family and friends help me during those weeks. Really, you only get 1 chance to recover the right way.

S....
Unread 02-20-2010, 08:42 PM

Thankyou for your reply. You are so right about taking the time to recover, I just can't imagine not doing anything and having to rely on my hubby. I am lucky in that he is able to take leave to look after me.

Did you find I was it easier to sit or lie after the operation? I'd like to think I could at least sit and knit but some of the ladies here have mentioned they thought the sitting made it worse.
Unread 03-04-2010, 07:00 PM

Hi, Sorry you are having these problems. I had the mesh for an anterior repair Oct 10, 2009 and had a 2nd surgery for mesh erosion. I have had constant pain and am looking to have as much of the mesh removed with the 19th or 20th of Mar. I am going to have the traditional repair. I would not recommend the mesh it is too new and there is no long term data to prove its success. If I had of been told the complications related to the mesh, I would not have chosen to have it "installed" into my pelvis.
Good luck to you but please research Mesh complications related to bladder lift or pelvic floor disorders.
Unread 03-17-2010, 06:29 AM

Hi, I went to the Mayo in Jacksonville, FL. for severe pelvic pain ever since I had an anterior repair with gynecare prolift. The lady doctor, whom I thought would be sympathetic just said she only takes mesh out due to infection, that it is too complicated. She basically said it was not the mesh causing my pain, just pelvic muscle spasms from pelvic surgery. She apparently is a fan of mesh, so I could tell she did not want to blame the mesh. She wants me to take valium and have pelvic pt and triggger point injections. I have such pain it is worse than labor pain. I feel like I am sitting on a brillo pad in my vagina. I can feel the mesh in there, but it hasn't eroded again., just once did it do that.The pain feels like grinding in my groins and severe pain in my sides and buttocks., Sex is impossible. I am now going to Vanderbilt to see a dr. there. Our insurance is not accepted there, my husband and I are going to rob our retirement account. I have not been able to work since Nov. '09, I am a nurse, but trusted my dr with this "wonderful" way to fix my bladder for life. I hope to have the removal soon. My concern is that I will not be able to go to my daughter's grad at FSU May 1. Deb, do you think I will be able to do that? Did you have a catheter for a while after your mesh removal. Thanks for all your encouragement, I do not feel alone thanks to this website.
Unread 03-17-2010, 06:44 AM

Adammash67, what kind of mesh are you getting? Please research the mesh. The synthetic can cause a number of problems. If I had to do it all over again, I would have biological mesh, porcine or even fascia taken from my own body, or just the traditional repair done, with stitching your own tissue to repair the prolapses. I wasn't told of any options other than the synthetic and wasn't told of the severe complications that can occur or the FDA warnings about the synthetic mesh. Please google transvaginal mesh to be informed. I wish I had of done so. It does work for some people, but once it is in there it is hard to be removed if you are having problems. I have a lot of allergies, esp. to latex, I am very inflamed internally from the gynemesh. Talk with your doctor and do your research. Praying for you to have a smooth recovery whatever you decide to do.
Unread 03-17-2010, 07:10 AM

sghall82,

Are you willing to travel? I would recommend a doctor at the Mayo in Rochester, MN. I had my mesh taken out there--and am so glad I did. The first doctor I saw at the Mayo wasn't willing to help me, but Dr. k----- fixed me. If you are interested in getting his name, e-mail me privately. I would think traveling would be cheaper than paying out of pocket.

At the time I had this done (2006), the Mayo didn't use mesh for prolapse repairs. I hope that hasn't changed.
Unread 03-17-2010, 07:11 AM

sghall82,

One other thing, mesh can cause pain even if it isn't infected or eroded. I would get it out! Getting it out solved my pain.
Unread 03-17-2010, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryltwin View Post
sghall82,

Are you willing to travel? I would recommend a doctor at the Mayo in Rochester, MN. I had my mesh taken out there--and am so glad I did. The first doctor I saw at the Mayo wasn't willing to help me, but Dr. k----- fixed me. If you are interested in getting his name, e-mail me privately. I would think traveling would be cheaper than paying out of pocket.

At the time I had this done (2006), the Mayo didn't use mesh for prolapse repairs. I hope that hasn't changed.
I recently had my repair done at Mayo by Dr. K and he used mesh. They offer a procedure without, but it has a higher failure rate. They do not use mesh kits. They're very emphatic about that.
Unread 03-17-2010, 10:29 AM

Books & Music,

What type of mesh did they use for you at Mayo? Synthetic or biological, or your own tissue to make the mesh? Just wondering. Hope you are doing well!
Sghall82

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.