HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Surgical Menopause - How fast did menopause symptoms "hit" you? Surgical Menopause - How fast did menopause symptoms "hit" you?

Unread 02-18-2010, 08:33 PM
Surgical Menopause - How fast did menopause symptoms "hit" you?

I am 5 weeks 2 days status post TVH, BSO, AP repair, and TOT bladder lift. This obviously put me in surgical menopause and my gyn doctor told me I would have menopausal symptoms within 2 days. I am wanting to know how long it took for others to have menopausal symptoms. The only two things I have had is some hot flashes, but they're not bad and some insomnia that started at about 3 weeks. I am happy that I am not having much for symptoms, but am wondering if anyone found they developed more symptoms later. I go back to work next week, so am wondering if the added stress of working might increase menopausal symptoms or if this is all I am going to have for which I would be extremely thankful.
Unread 02-18-2010, 09:16 PM
Re: Surgical Menopause - How fast did menopause symptoms "hit" you?

I am 38 and 8 weeks post-op from dVH-BSO with bowel resection and have not had any menopause symptoms yet. I am not taking any HRT due to endo. I am hoping I never have any menopause issues. This week I can finally say I feel back to normal. I believe my recovery is offically over. I have started working out again and will slowly increase over time how much I do and lift but I feel wonderful and am pleased with the choice I made to have this surgery. I will watch my heart and bone health closely over the years but to be pain free is amazing. I hope you feel good too!
Unread 02-18-2010, 09:20 PM

I had a TAH about a month ago and I started having the menopausal symptoms about two days after surgery. I am mostly getting night sweats versus anything else.
Unread 02-18-2010, 11:14 PM

I had a TAH a year ago. I remember a couple of days of emotional ups and downs, that was in February. But I have always struggled with that. I had a few night sweats, not many since then. I had trouble sleeping right after the surgery, I think because of pain meds. I don't have trouble sleeping now, but I haven't really gotten back all my energy yet. Other symptoms are low sex drive, vaginal dryness. But remember, everybody goes through it differently. I'm just trying to figure out how long it will last. HA! The worst symptoms I guess for me have been the emotional ups and downs and of course weight gain.
Unread 02-19-2010, 05:47 AM

I think that if you were going to experience the symptoms, they would occur rapidly. Mine started the night of the surgery with hot flashes. They kept covering me up and I kept trying to get the sheets off. I finally told them I was in a furnace and quit putting blankets on me. I was on total bed rest with boots on so hard to move legs to get them off. I think you may be one of the lucky ones who doesn't have problems. I wouldn't worry about it because it sounds like you are doing great. I am very envious of you but also glad that you aren't having the problems. I am on HRT due to severe symptoms of insomnia, mood swings, and just not being able to cope with it.
Unread 02-19-2010, 07:09 AM

I remember those boots! The ones that fill with air to keep the blood clots away. I was in the hospital for 4 day even with the DaVinci due to a bowel resection and getting those things off to go pee was AWFUL! I would call a nurse to put them back on but usually needed to go too bad so I would rip them off myself so I could get to the bathroom. I wish they would have left the cath in longer but I know that can increase chance of UTIs but I hated those boots.
Unread 02-19-2010, 08:58 AM

My symptoms came in stages over about a month. At first I just struggled with the pain and exhaustion, so I may not have noticed if any subtle things were going on. By week two I was an emotional wreck and by week 4 I felt like I had a constant fever. I'm taking antidepressants and using Estrace cream and they help with the mood issues and dryness. The "feverishness" is still here. We've had a cold, snowy winter and I've just given up wearing a coat. I never thought I'd be so thankful for winter! We are also saving a TON on heat, as my DH is terrified to turn the thermostat up.
Unread 02-19-2010, 12:00 PM

I'm 34 and had LAVH/BSO. That was how I woke up after surgery - to a HUGE hot flash. My mom was pretty entertained by it, actually. Luckily for me my gyn was visiting my room and was talking with my mom and DH, so I got an estrogen patch ASAP. I remember my gyn saying, "let's get her an estrogen patch" and then I was right back to sleep.
Unread 02-19-2010, 01:25 PM

During my 2nd week I had night sweats and was weepy. It was over by the beginning of week 3.
Unread 02-19-2010, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpie View Post
We've had a cold, snowy winter and I've just given up wearing a coat. I never thought I'd be so thankful for winter! We are also saving a TON on heat, as my DH is terrified to turn the thermostat up.
My DH would be thrilled if I would keep having hot flashes so he could turn the thermostat down for good! Lately I've gone back for the most part, except in the evenings, to being chilly like I was presurgery. Prior to surgery, I kept telling my DH, "just wait until I have surgery and you'll be able to turn the thermostat down because I'll be hot all the time." So far, that's not happening near as much as I thought it would.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.