HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Mesh Success? Mesh Success?

Unread 02-21-2010, 12:31 PM
Question - Mesh Success? Mesh Success?

I have two options to consider - open abdominal POP surgery with mesh to repair my cystocele, rectocele and a sling to correct urinary incontinence with a hysterectomy, leaving my remaining ovary, or the same repairs/hysterectomy performed laproscopically.
I have read a bit on this site and am totally freaked out by the mesh horror stories. However these all seem to involve transvaginal repairs v. open abdominal or laproscopic procedures.
Has anyone had either of these surgeries with success? My docs says mesh is fine if not done transvaginally...
I am confused! Please let me know your experiences...
Thanks so much,
Amy
Unread 02-21-2010, 08:21 PM
Re: Mesh Success?

I asked my Dr. if the Da Vinci method of this surgery worked and he was discouraging, saying he's seen it fail and recommended the abdominal surgery, which I had. I'm having problems with the bladder repair and if I need more surgery, it would be more minor and I will look for someone to do it with a lap surgery if possible. Can't face another abdominal. I also had an ovary removed last year with a lap surgery. Lap surgery is like a walk in the park compared to abdominal surgery. My incision is still sore after 6 months.

I would get some more opinions, but do the type of surgery that has the best success rate for your particular procedure.
Unread 02-21-2010, 08:39 PM

I have done tons of research about trans-vaginal vs lap. vs abdominal. As far as the mesh goes, it has nothing to do with how it is put in. It just depends on if your body tries to reject it or it starts to erode. I wanted to have an abdominal for the removal of the mesh but after talking with several doctors and finding out it comes out a few strands at a time since it adheres to your insides it doesn't matter how it goes in. As far as initial pain I had very little after the trans-vaginal, where all my other surgeries were abdominal and much more painful. This is just my experiences. I can't speak for anyone else. Just do the research before having the mesh and make an informed decision.
Unread 02-21-2010, 08:59 PM

I'm starting to wonder if I'm rejecting the mesh.

My Dr. didn't recommend a mesh repair going in through the vagina. He said it is impossible to keep sterile, unlike a lap or abdominal repair.
Unread 02-21-2010, 09:37 PM

I started to have pelvic pain first. Like my insides were sore which didn't make sense since the first 2 weeks were just a breeze. I am now on a strong anti-inflammatory med until I can start having it removed. That has helped with the pelvic pain, but since then pieces are sticking through my vaginal wall and I can find NO relief for that pain and am now having problems walking due to left groin pain (where it is connected). I wish I still had my grapefruit size cystocele and what I wouldn't give to sneeze and pee on myself. I now sit for 10-15 minutes trying to pee and when it starts there is a sharp pain. No UTI (I have had 3 urine tests done to see) I am guessing that pain is also related to this whole mess.
I hope and pray you are not having any problems.
How did you have it put in?
joy
Unread 02-22-2010, 04:51 AM

I had abdominal surgery and the Dr. said I was strong as steel after 8 weeks, even though I didn't feel that way. There is less liklihood of the mesh eroding in an abdominal surgery, but the recovery was brutal.

Hope if I have to have this fixed, it can be done by laparoscopy.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.