HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Soreness and Numbness 11 weeks post surgery (new to site) Soreness and Numbness 11 weeks post surgery (new to site)

Unread 02-22-2010, 12:04 PM
Soreness and Numbness 11 weeks post surgery (new to site)

Hi, I'm new to the site, but thankful there is a site online for support for this subject. I am 49 and had a complete hysterectomy on Dec. 4, 09, due to a large fibroid tumor. The tumor was measuring about 7mm on the ultrasound and it was larger than my uterus when removed. The tumor was a posterior tumor that was growing on the outside of my uterus. For about a year I had been having coccyx pain and tenderness that would not go away. No injury, but started while doing prolonged work on the computer from sitting. After a few months I went to my doctor, and the series of testing started, x-ray, scan, physical therapy, then finally MRI, and two ultrasounds. During the testing was when I found out that the fibroid tumor that was diagnosed 2 yrs before had grown large. I thought I had the answer for my coccyx pain, since the tumor was located towards the back of my uterus and putting pressure on everything in the area. I had the surgery on Dec. 4, 09, with an horizontal incision, stitches were used and surgi strips, no staples. My incision healed well, but I've had abdominal numbness, sensitivity and soreness up to my belly button. I'm almost at 3 months post op now, and it is not changing. My abdominal area is so sore and sensitive that it is difficult to wear clothes comfortably. I've had to buy larger sizes of pants, with stretchy waistbands, and even tried a pair of maternity jeans. Is this a common post op problem, or is this nerve damage that I will have to live with? I asked the doctor about it at my four week post op visit, he acted like no big deal. I also asked him at a 7 week visit, in which I had to go in for a check due to a vaginal watery discharge that started. He said the discharge was probably due to my stitches dissolving and give it two weeks. It changed to a light pink discharge and lasted about two weeks, then stopped. I'm still also dealing with the same coccyx tenderness, the surgery did not correct the problem. My GYN said I probably need to go to an Orthopedic doctor for the tailbone issue. I'm probably looking at cortizone injections, but will have to be evaluated to see if that might help. So, I was hoping to feel better after surgery, but now just dealing with a new issue. I've heard that nerves take a long time to heal and could take up to a year, is that correct? Will this tenderness/ soreness/sensitivity/ numbness, go away? This is getting depressing.
Unread 02-22-2010, 01:43 PM
Re: Soreness and Numbness 11 weeks post surgery (new to site)

I am sorry to hear about your fibroid and the pain prior to surgery. I can tell you from my hyst that was a TAH, and a year and a half ago, I still have numbness in my stomach area. It is getting better, but there is still some numbness. The swelling takes a different amount of time to go away for every woman. Some women it takes 6 weeks, others it takes a year. Mine still comes and goes depending on how active I am. I am going to say something and please don't take it the wrong way, but you are ONLY 11 weeks post op! Your body is still healing! It takes AT LEAST 6 months to heal from a TAH and up to a year. It is MAJOR surgery. MAJOR. I will be happy to answer any questions you have as you progress but what you have said so far, sounds completely normal to me. Sounds right one track with what I had and when I discussed it with my dr, she reassured me it was normal or at the very least not ABNORMAL. It can be a confusing time, so please use this site. You can message me privately. The continue lower back pain could be residual. I have to ask if you have seen a chiropractor? The fibroid could have put something out of place. I know that at this point of recovery I was discouraged and depressed. I thought I would bounce back faster. That I would be further along in recovery. But it does take atleast 6 months to heal so work back up to what you are use to. Walk. And drink lots of water. And remember your sisters are here for you! KEEP THE FAITH
Unread 02-22-2010, 02:56 PM
Re: Soreness and Numbness 11 weeks post surgery (new to site)

Thank you, beetberry, for responding so quickly. This was my first major surgery, so really had no clue what to expect in the healing process. I've just had friends telling me I should not be sore now, since their recovery was a lot quicker. I'm 49, so I'm sure age has some to deal with slow healing also. My back is fine, it's my tailbone that hurts. My medical doctor said it could be like a tendonitis, it feels like tendon pain, the bone is fine. It's been a year now since that issue started. So, now I still can't sit without pain. I sit on a baby boppy pillow in my computer chair, just to work. Hey, the baby boppy pillow has been a God send, it's worked better than anything else I have tried. Now I'm dealing with the pain and soreness of my hysterectomy too. I've been trying to heal from my surgery before going to another doctor to deal with the tailbone pain. I can only take so much at one time.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.