HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysteritaville - Wellness Post Hysterectomy > Hysteritaville General Discussions

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Hysterectomy and Diabetes Hysterectomy and Diabetes

Unread 02-26-2010, 03:13 AM
Hysterectomy and Diabetes

Hi all,
I'm eight months post TAH and I'm wondering if anyone has had problems with blood sugar control after having a hysterectomy? I've been trying to do some research but haven't had much luck. I was put on HRT 6 months ago. I trying to modify my diet and exercise program more but it just seems like my body and blood glucose are more resistant now.

Thanks, Lisa
Unread 02-27-2010, 10:10 AM
Re: Hysterectomy and Diabetes

Hey there Lisa

I have diabetes as well and apart from having an insulin pump at the hospital as the op makes your blood sugar sky rocket etc my diabetes seems under control.

I have been in menopause since 26 which was before I had diabetes etc so don't know if menopause affects it but I do know that having hormones running round after the op made things fun for a while with blood sugar.

But then I am also a very slack diabetic and don't test very often. Usually I would say drink more water etc and walk but I think you might be onto something here.

Will check back on this thread to see if anyone has any thoughts, you should also post in post op thread more people might see it.
Unread 03-02-2010, 02:43 AM

Hi Lisa....I can honestly say I have been having alot of blood sugar/hypoglycemic issues since my hyster....(That I didnt have prior to surgery).

Among other things the fluctuating blood sugar levels have caused me dizziness, heart palpitations (increased heart rate after eating certain foods), severe anxiety depression, insomnia etc etc.

Its been a long tough ride since the hyster (and one I wouldnt wish on anyone else) - with the help of an excellent hormone Doctor and an absolutely brilliant naturopath Im slowly turning things around. By following a low GI diet, eliminating all 'white and processed foods' taking additional supplements things are improving.

Interestingly whilst my normal GP didnt think there was any relationship between blood sugar and the hyster, both my Hormone Doc and Naturopath said the two were linked.

Take care
Unread 04-15-2010, 02:59 PM

I do know that hormones can relate to blood sugar issues as insulin is technically a hormone. With the exception of the one year I was trying, then got pregnant with my daughter, I had my blood sugar under control. I had a tremendous amount of bleeding (stuck on the toilet one time for over 45 minutes!) and constant pain so I went through two separate laparoscopies, hysteroscopies and D&C's, then a failed Novasure ablation. With the ablation I also had my tubes tied. My blood sugar immediately skyrocketed after going off the pill. I'm talking constant levels of over 300 with spikes over 600 on Lantus insulin shots and taking Glipizide and Metformin. After spending a horrible night at the ER with numerous shots of traditional insulin in my arm (I wish they would have just let me give myself the shots), I inquired whether I could go back on birth control pills to try and stop some of the bad symptoms I was experiencing. Low and behold, my blood sugar average dropped down to the 160 range!! I have to add that my mother had similiar issues, she would get hives and migranes the day before her period that went away after her total hysterectomy, it's almost like we're allergic to the hormonal changes. I've currently been prescribed Megestrol which is keeping me from having a period and therefore avoiding the blood sugar spikes that are really dangerous and scary for me. I have a robotic, laparoscopic hysterectomy scheduled a week from tomorrow, and will try to keep this group updated on the progression with not only recovery, but the effects on my blood sugar. (The time I was off birth control and before the Megestrol my a1c was 10.4!!) As I'm only 34, I'll be placed on HRT, but am expecting that these will keep me at a constant level so my body will be able to handle this in a better fashion.
Unread 05-09-2010, 10:47 AM

UPDATE!!

Well, after my Da Vinci hysterectomy on April 23rd that took everything but my cervix, my blood sugar is down!! I did manage to break my dang foot two days ago, but besides that, everything is well.
Unread 11-12-2011, 06:22 PM

I realise this is an old thread, but I just thought I might mention that insulin need drops quite markedly when the ovaries stop working or are removed. I've been a type 1 diabetic since 1969, and I'm married to a type 2, so I'm pretty well across the game.

Pain (such as immediately after surgery) can cause an adrenal response that makes the liver release stored glucose so BG may run a little high until the pain is under control or goes - but if ovaries are gone, type 1s will become more insulin sensitive. Type 2s are far more complicated in terms of hormonal change and response, so it's probably best to check with your endo as to what specifically you might expect.

Tori

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.