HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

still sore after four weeks still sore after four weeks

Unread 02-28-2010, 06:16 PM
still sore after four weeks

Hi sisters, I had a hysterectomy four weeks ago to put me into surgical menopause. I'm an estrogen positive breast cancer survivor and they wanted to get estrogen out of my body and they felt I was at risk for ovarian cancer. Anyway, I feel I'm not recovering as quickly as I should. I think I did too much too soon -- was walking several blocks through the rain to the store everyday just a few days post surgery. Have flown twice and just done a lot -- basically as if I hadn't had surgery. I'm single so must take care of everything, including pets, myself. I think I totally over did yesterday -- dog walks, hanging lots of laundry, errands, etc. and today am really sore after coming home from more errands. The soreness is mostly on the right side. I don't sleep at night because I have like five hundred hot flashes a night. Do you think if I take it as easy as possible for the next couple of days I'll go in the right direction? Thank you!!!
Unread 02-28-2010, 07:18 PM
Re: still sore after four weeks

It does sound like your body is trying to tell you you're overdoing it. I took the full 6 weeks my doctor ordered for recovery and my body still lets me know when I overdo it (swelling, pain, etc.). I would definitely take it easy for as long as you can to see if it helps.
Unread 02-28-2010, 07:23 PM

I feel the same way at 3 weeks post-op. I have 2 boys (5 and 10 months) and my husband just moved to Florida for a new job--thankfully my mom is staying with us to help me with the boys and getting our house ready for a move. I have been doing a lot to get our house ready for sale and to move, and I definitely feel the pain, which I know means I have overdone it! I am very sore on my left side--which my OB said was because that is the side he removed my uterus. I still have to take some meds at nite time and am trying to do my best to get a little rest. Try and take it easy (and I will try to take my own advice too LOL)!
Unread 02-28-2010, 08:51 PM

yes, normal to over do it and then feel pain. I had to lay low for 4 days this week as punishment for housecleaning a week ago!
Unread 02-28-2010, 09:16 PM

zalea -

I don't know if you've looked at the Hysterectomy Checkpoints . They might help you understand what overdoing it entails.

I understand you are on your own but definitely sounds like you are doing too much. Especially with your comment about "basically as if I hadn't had surgery."

This is big stuff and you want to heal properly.

G.
Unread 03-01-2010, 08:45 PM

Thank you all so much for your responses! Love and healing to you all!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.