HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

abdominal sacral colpopexy, cystocele, rectocele: What I learned abdominal sacral colpopexy, cystocele, rectocele: What I learned

Unread 08-17-2010, 05:15 PM
Re: abdominal sacral colpopexy, cystocele, rectocele: What I learned

Thanks for the positive response regarding the sacral colcoplexy. I am so glad you are doing well. Did you have trouble urinating after the surgery? That is another fear I have. Also, did you have to take a lot of pain pills? I am not a big medicine person and don't tolerate narcotics very well. I was relieved to hear some good news.....Hope you continue to recover without any problems!!!
Unread 08-17-2010, 06:58 PM

It took my kidneys a while to get going after surgery, so I stayed in the hospital a second night. But once they got going, it was fine although I was urinating every hour all night long that second night. Have never had a problem urinating since. As far as pain, I couldn't tolerate the pain meds, so I was only using Tylenol and Advil. That was a bit rough for the first few days, but not horrible as long as I kept up with them. By about day four or five, I wasn't even using Tylenol or Advil. My surgery was abdominal, and I've been told there's less pain with it compared to vaginal.

I am now six months out, and have noticed a jump in how I feel. Starting to feel almost normal. Yes, it takes a long time, but after those first couple of days it's not that bad. You won't be completely normal for a long time. I think a lot of swelling takes place, and that impacts everything. I've just recently noticed that my belly is no longer swelling as the day progresses.
Unread 09-01-2010, 10:56 AM

Hi ruprayn,

I don't know if you have had your surgery, as I just saw your post and it is 2 weeks old by now. I had my surgery on 8-19-10 and tomorrow will be 2 weeks. I had an open abdominal sacral colpopexy and suburethreal sling, using my own fascia. My recovery has been very good, I believe. My biggest fear, as yours was, that I wouldn't be able to pee on my own. To my relief I was able to empty my bladder about 30 minutes after the catheter was removed. I am taking it easy, since my tummy has a 6-7 inch incision it helps to remind me to do just that. My doc told me prior to surgery that I would not feel "good" like I was that day for a long time. I really don't feel all that bad. But perhaps when I return to a more normal routine that might change. We'll see. Let me know how your surgery goes and God Bless.

Sandra
Unread 09-01-2010, 07:32 PM

Hi Sandra
Thanks for letting me know about your post op surgery. It is comforting to hear good reports. Where did they take your facia from? Was it from your thigh. I have read about that but did not know anyone who had that done. Does your doctor feel like that is a better option then the mesh? I would love to know where you had this done and what town or city you live in. Thanks for the encouraging words. My surgery is Oct.11th
Sue
Unread 09-01-2010, 08:13 PM

Hi Sue,

I know, it is good to hear a positive recovery. This is a difficult surgery to recover from, but I believe well worth it. There are so many that have had complications and slow recoveries that you start to think that there are no good posts. That's why I posted mine (3 days since colcopexy, my story so far) you might want to check it out. You have to keep in mind that so many people that have a negative response are more likely to post something, looking for the support from someone who's been there.

I am from the outskirts of Atlanta and had my surgery done by a urologist in Cobb County. He used my fascia because he wants to avoid the problems that have been associated with mesh. He got the fascia from right above the incision in my abdomin, which is a bikini incision. I still have steri strips on but I can see where there is a tiny place where the instrument was inserted to remove it. Right now it is a little sore there, but what else would I expect?

Right now I concentrate on the business of healing. A lot of sitting around....something I have a hard time with. Soooo...if you have any questions or concerns, I'm here. I am more than happy to share.

We'll talk soon,
Unread 09-02-2010, 07:05 AM

Sandra,
Thanks so much for the info. I am in Rockford IL a small town about 90 miles from Chicago. I am actually going into the city to a group of women that are OBGYN, urologists and pelvic floor reconstructive surgery. Their training has been intense and this is all they do, but that doesn't diminish my anxiety about it all. Thanks for the reminder about the negative posts. I am sure that is very true. I will mention about the fascia when I go back at the end of Sept. to get their thought on this option. I have been to so many doctors regarding this problem and finally settled on this group of women who have done so many of these procedures.
So glad you are feeling better and recovering well. I know what you mean about sitting around. I am involved in a lot of things but know that I will have to really cut back for awhile. I have a granddaughter that is 18 months and that will be hard when she visits not being able to pick her up. I am a nurse by profession and I think that is why I am anxious. But I really do appreciate all your encouragement, so thank you!!
Sue
Unread 09-07-2010, 09:57 AM

Sandra
Wondering how you are feeling? Better I hope with each day. What kind of pain meds were you on? I don't tolerate narcotics very well but just curious how much and what kind you took and for how long. Have you been out of the house much? I have a commitment two weeks postop for 2 hours a week and I am hoping I can at least do that. Just curious. If you have any advice would love to hear it. I hope each day is a little better for you
Sue
Unread 09-07-2010, 02:45 PM

Hi Sue,

Yes each day is a little better for me, thanks. I actually just returned from my post-op with my uro and everything is perfect. I am emptying my bladder completely and everything internally seems to be in place. (Thank goodness!) I continue to take stool softeners 3 times a day and would highly recommend investing in these! My incision is still very sore, I find myself taking pain medication later in the day. At first it was hydrocodone 7.5mg. every 6 hours just to stay ahead of the pain and then reducing it as the days went on. I found it helpful to rest. Very hard for me to do. I couldn't remember if you were having an incision in your tummy or if it was with the robot. Mine is about 6-7 inches so you can understand the pain. Also, the area above the incision is sore, (really more like tender) doc said that is from where he has to seperate stuff to remove the facia. Complicated.
Anyway, the two hour commitment two weeks out might be pushing it. First of all you really don't want to drive until your incision is healed. (I still have steri strips at almost 3 weeks) Plus, the fatigue is tough. You will start to feel better in the morning, but about noon, you are worn out. I have gone out to the store for small trips and dinner out twice, but afterwards I seem to have more pain and exhaustion. Pace yourself. Do a little, rest a little, do a little, rest a little...you know. You might be okay with your commitment , but I would have a backup plan just in case! All in all though, I think I have had a better than average experience. Today is the best I have felt so far and it does get better everyday! Hang in there, it will be worth it.
Unread 09-09-2010, 06:16 AM

Sandra,

Thanks for the information. I am also having the abdominal incision and she said it would be about 6 inches as well. I remember after my cystocele (Bladder) and hysterectomy three years ago I was so tired for a long time and I think I overdid it alot!!! I do remember getting up and feeling so energetic, but by 10am I would need a nap. It is frustrating at times but a good reminder. Sounds like the pain hangs around a long time which I would expect because of the incision but also because of all the manipulation. My sister had a mastectomy this past spring and she had a pain ball which delivered medicine right into the surgical site. I plan on asking about that as she never had to take medicine orally and therefore didn't have any of the side affects like an upset stomach. I am hoping they can do something like that since she felt so great right after her surgery. The pain is always the hardest to deal with. I appreciate all your answers to my questions and I am sure I will be asking you more as they come to me.
Thanks for all the encouragement!!!
Sue
Unread 09-09-2010, 08:19 AM

ruprayn,

I just remembered something about my surgery 20 years ago...they used a "TENS" unit to control pain. It is adhered to your tummy and sends electrical impulses to your brain that confuse the pain signal from your incision. I used it in the hospital and was it was offered to come home with me. Being naive, I didn't really think it was helping that much and turned it down. After going home without it, the pain was much worse and I called and requested it. The doc said that once you were off of it for maybe 24 hours or so, it was not as affective as the continuous treatment so I was not able to resume. You might want to talk to your doc about that and see if it is available. You can also check it out online and get more info. Good luck!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.