HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Hives/Welts around laperoscopic incisions Hives/Welts around laperoscopic incisions

Unread 03-06-2010, 08:31 PM
Hives/Welts around laperoscopic incisions

Hi,

I had a TLH 9 days ago, and I now have welts/hives around my incision sites. The itching is almost unbearable. I have a call in to the doctor on-call, but it has been two hours and he has not returned my call. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, what did you do to remedy it?

Thanks,

Kim
Unread 03-06-2010, 08:38 PM
Re: Hives/Welts around laperoscopic incisions

I havenot had this, but do you have any type of tapes over the incisions? If so, is it possible you're having an allergic reaction because that's what it sounds like? If the doctor on-call hasn't called back, I'd call again. No one should have to wait two hours for a return call. I'm sure it's different all over the country, but here if the doctor doesn't call within 15 minutes, we're supposed to have him/her paged again. Do you have one of those nurse numbers you can call, also? We have several of those around and they're good help as well, especially if a doctor isn't returning a call. Good luck and I hope you find out what's wrong.
Unread 03-06-2010, 08:40 PM

(((piacrutch)))

It is possible you are allergic to the tape, stitches, glue, or whatever was used to close your incisions. I would put another call in to the on call doctor. If you do not hear back, try putting a call into your primary care physician. If you do not hear from a physician, try calling the hospital where you had surgery.

If the problem is an allergic reaction, taking an anti-histamine is likely going to be suggested. Until you talk to a physician, don't put any medications on the areas. You might try put a cold pack on the areas if they itch.

in there! I know hives are miserable! I have had them many times and do get them from surgical tape and bandaids. And, I had them from the top of my head to the bottom of my feet while in the hospital following my hysterectomy!

Unread 03-06-2010, 10:12 PM

i had that happen to me. it was near one of my steri strips, and it looked like two huge blisters. mine itched like crazy too. i just treated it with peroxide and neo sporin. but you should definitely get a hold of your doctor. i never called mine, i just showed her when i saw her at the one week check up. she agreed it was some sort of allergic reaction.
Unread 03-07-2010, 01:05 AM

I had the welts and hives around the laparoscopic incisions too. It showed up 6 days post-op and I found out I was allergic to the glue adhesive which was used on the incisions. The doctor had me put cortisone cream and take benadryl. I also found aloe gel was very soothing. It has taken 5 weeks to heal. All is better now. I hope you will feel better soon too. Good Luck!
Unread 03-07-2010, 10:02 AM

TLH 2/18/10

I hope you've spoken to your dr by now and are feeling better.

They used square clear adhesive thingies over the gauze on my incisions. I had reactions along the outer edges of acouple of them. Skin was very red, but not welted or blistered, and didn't itch too much. I didn't do anything with mine, just kept checking to make sure it wasn't growing bigger. I have a half hour car ride to my dr's and I didn't want to have to go through that unless absolutely necessary. Since getting the stitches removed (along with the adhesive patches) on day 12, the red spots are scabbed over and don't hurt.

Hope you continue to heal. Take it easy ~~ StarryNite
Unread 03-07-2010, 11:42 AM

My rash was from the chlorahexidine that they use to sterilize my body.
The rash spread and was extremely itchy. I was told to take Benadryl. they cleared up in a week.
Unread 03-08-2010, 11:52 AM

Hi,

I had hives on my left thigh on post-op day 4. It was very nasty looking. I know it was hives because I have had them before (I'm allergic to penicillin and once had hives covering my entire body). I have no idea what it was from since nothing touched my thigh, and I did not eat anything new or use any new products. All I could come up with is that it was a reaction to something they gave me in the hospital...
Unread 07-06-2010, 11:01 PM

So, I have a rash that showed up around the laproscopic incision site at my belly button. It has been itching like crazy for a day or two and I kept thinking "must be healing" I finally gave up and put Neosporin on it 2 days ago, which seemed to help. Tonight I tried Hydrocortizone instead. It does seem to be spreading down over the bruising a little.

I'm calling the doctor tomorrow.

I'll try Benadryll tonight (pill not cream) and maybe that will help.

I have allergies to adhesives, so if they used any kind of superglue or sprays, then yes, I'd guess that was it.

Thanks!

Mary
Unread 07-07-2010, 02:23 AM

Call them again!
I had a rash/hives that broke out day 3 post-op...today is day 20. I've been to the MD twice, the surgeon once and yesterday an allergist. The rash has spread over my entire torso, neck, inside arms to my elbows and down the back of my legs. They have no idea what started it and at this point; I don't care! Horrible itching and am now on huge (125mg) prednisone, Zyrtec, Zantac now.
I almost forgot that I had surgery; it's feeling great compared to the itch! They said it should clear by 80% by tomorrow....I hope so!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.