HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Nightsweats, Hot Flashes, then FREEZING? Nightsweats, Hot Flashes, then FREEZING?

Unread 03-07-2010, 09:15 PM
Nightsweats, Hot Flashes, then FREEZING?

It's been 10 weeks since my LAVH and I mostly suffer from nightsweats. I wake up soaking wet but absolutely freezing. My hot flashes really don't start up until around 8:00 at night and I really don't have many at all during the day. What I've had of them aren't too severe, but I always feel terribly cold afterwards. Anyone else like this? It's almost like my body can't decide what temperature it should be.
Unread 03-08-2010, 01:22 AM
Re: Nightsweats, Hot Flashes, then FREEZING?

I still haven't decided if the hot flashes or the cold chills are worse. I saw somewhere posted that anyone would be cold if you got them really warm, dumped water on them, and then put them into a normal temp room. (Think of how cold you are when you get out of the shower) My dr has just started me on a low dose of beta blocker and it seems to have made all the difference. I am still cold and still get some hot flashes but they don't seem to be as extreme. Best of luck to you!!!!
P.S. I also used to sleep on a thick towel so when I woke up I could pull the towel out from under me, switch shirts and be dry quicker.
Unread 03-08-2010, 05:51 AM

I've been having these night sweats now for years, it's not menopause, and as far as my surgery I kept my ovaries, did you keep yours because that could be it? I have other hormone imbalances and I think that is why I get them. So far during recovery I have had several days where I go from sweating to shivering within a half hour or so. I don't think I have a fever. I don't go for my post-op until next week, I will ask then. You are not alone
Best Wishes
alicia
Unread 03-08-2010, 06:43 AM

yep - I am the same. total drench, then shivvers. i agree that I am not sure what is worse. i kept my ovaries, so I am hoping they wake up soon! What has helped me was to take a nice warm shower. Once I get out and get dryed off and dressed (barring the hot flash from continuing) that really seemed to help regulate me. A nice hot cup of tea is always helpful and soothing as well! Good luck!
Unread 03-08-2010, 07:08 AM

I went through menopause yrs ago pre op and so did many of my friends------thats pretty much what we experienced, too. Then post op I had it again. But its part of the whole hot flash business sometimes, and no fun. I never had hrt so I don't know anything about how fast it would help, but my post op hot flashes, with keeping my ovaries, got better after a couple months.
Unread 03-08-2010, 07:46 AM

I have to gently disagree that this is not menopause or to say at least....hormone flucuations made more severe by the surgery. Night sweats then freezing is a common perimenopause symptom. This is a wonderful website and may I suggest another. Go to Powersurge. It is a peri/menopause help forum similar to this. There is a section just on hot flashes. The amount of women that have this will tell you that you are not alone.
Good luck as I have them too. My body has no idea what its doing. My thermostat is so broken. Put those with the foggy head and anxiety and .....what a mess!
Unread 03-08-2010, 10:01 AM

I'm not up to this bit yet and hope to skip it. But I do hope you get it sorted fast. Hugs.
Unread 03-08-2010, 10:03 AM

I have heard, but haven't tried it yet.. that Omega 3's help with this sort of thing. Might be worth a shot since you are suffering so much. All my best.
Unread 03-08-2010, 09:41 PM

Have you had your thyroid checked?? You mess with one hormone, it can mess with the other hormones. Thyroid can cause you to feel cold too. Just something else to think about.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.