HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Rectocele and Cystocele Repair Rectocele and Cystocele Repair

Unread 03-08-2010, 04:43 PM
Rectocele and Cystocele Repair

I am scheduled to have surgery on April 13th. Two of the procedures they are planning on doing is a rectocele and cystocele repair.

Couple of questions?
What can i expect from the rectocele repair..and please be honest, tell me like you would your best friend. I want details as far as the recovery goes...

As for the cystocele repair..what is this about the "mesh" not being a good thing to use. I have read here and on other sites that women are saying they "wished they never had the mesh put in". It this is something that isn't going to work in the long run, then count me out of the "mesh" now.
Unread 03-10-2010, 06:01 AM
Re: Rectocele and Cystocele Repair

I had my hysterectomy 4 years ago and then needed surgery this Jan for a rectocele and cystocele. I am now 8 weeks post op and feel in the last couple of weeks that I have turned a corner. I am still not able to lift, push, pull or bend and am taking things easy. I felt pretty battered and bruised for the first few weeks and also thought I had an infection because of intense burning down below. My surgeon gave me some cream with hydrocortisone which helped. She also put me on antibiotics and oestrogen pessaries when I had my 6 week check as things were not healing as well as she had expected. I still take anti inflammatories because the feeling of pressure returned after surgery - probably because of swelling. My recovery has been slower than I had expected but reading this forum this is far from unusual.

I did not have mesh but like you have read some alarming things about it.

If you have any specific questions please feel free to ask.

Good luck!

C
Unread 03-10-2010, 09:33 AM

What specific procedures have the docs decided to use for the cele repairs?

The mesh issue is erosion with occurrence and severity rates varying on the location... not all procedures involve mesh... many meshes have been recalled and docs are confident in the newer mesh kits...

I've a load of info on this but would be more able to help if I knew what your intended procedures were... if a graft or sling involved, I'd ask the doc to be specific on which kit(s) are used and then you can investigate the current info for that material... mesh erosion is in the minority of patients... an example: the current advice for sacral colpopexy is to use a Type I prolene mesh, Ethicon makes a prolene mesh called gynemesh ps and their site claims 10% erosion rates with (needed to be trimmed when the mesh eroded through the vaginal cuff)... because the repair is relatively nonevasive, the current thought is to use...

There are alternatives to the grafting materials but not all docs entertain other options due to the proven tensile strength, ease of use and low cost of using mesh...

Hope this helps,
Kathy
Unread 03-10-2010, 11:16 AM

Hi,

I had a rectocele repair and a sacrospinous fixation three weeks ago. I think the rectocele repair is doing okay. The dr did not use mesh, he only does that fo recurring prolapses. I felt quite alot of pressure after the surgery and a kind of burning feeling. It was not too bad though, I was expecting worse. Removal of the tampon after surgery was a little painful, as was the first time using the bathoom. But the pain may have come from the sacrospinous fixation as well...so I'm not sure what caused what.

So in general I must say the rectocele repair was okay for me. I did not have any perineal repairs though as my muscles in that area were still okay. Also, I had some nerve damage fom the sacrospinous fixation so maybe I did not feel too much from that on the inside (have a large numb area...). I actually had a pelvic exam six days after surgery (to locate and look at the sutures from the SSF) and didn't feel a thing.....

I hope things go well for you. I just think everyones body is different and everybody has a different pain threshold...so it'sdifficult to say something in general I think. One tip...but you dr probably already told you....use stool softeners after the surgery....

Good luck with surgery! You will probably feel a lot better afterwards and glad to have gotten rid of al the problems....
Unread 04-06-2010, 03:27 PM

I underwent rectocele and cystocele anterior posterior repair yesterday. My obgyn also stitched my vaginal opening a bit down by the perineum…didn’t realize I was so stretched out. The surgery was done at the hospital and I stayed one night as an inpatient. I am age 42 and have 3 kids ages 12, 10 & 4. I’m in good shape at 5’7” 125 lbs.

Previously, I googled the condition and read so many horror stories. There were hardly any quick n speedy recoveries. But I’m writing to tell you that I’ve had an excellent recovery 30 hours later (so far).

Upon awaking from the surgery, The nurse asked me how my pain level was. I thought about it and I told her (and each nurse thereafter) that I have no pain. Sure there’s a little (very little) soreness at the exterior of my vagina but I feel no pain inside. After that I kept wondering when I would feel pain. I expected to feel like i just gave birth.

I felt slight burning during my first urination. They said it was due to the catheter during surgery. Then I had a BM, something I dreaded but there was no problem, no pain. Perhaps because I regularly take Metamucil psyllium caplets. I recommend to take them daily at least a week before and after the surgery to keep your BM’s regular.

Still at the hospital, I regularly urinated post op without problems. The nurses will monitor your liquid intake and output. My appetite was good too.

The Doc put “packing” inside (I think gauze) and removed it the next morning, icky feeling. The only pain killer given was Toradol used during surgery. Post-surgery I took no pain killers.

My doc did not use mesh so I cant comment on that. He said after removing the tissue, he stitched me up. 2 straight lines with dissolvable thread.

The hospital will provide maxipads but you should have them when you get home. I am home now and walking about. Took a shower. It doesn’t hurt to sit or get up. I am not groggy or out of it. I have to remember not to do much.

I was really surprised of this condition and I’d never heard of it…my girlfriends have never brought it up. My doc said it is the same procedure plastic surgeons do called vaginal rejuvenation …but financially, mine is better since insurance covers it. Yes!

Doc advised me 1-2 weeks off work, 4 weeks before resuming sexual relations and 6 weeks to resume sports. I have two dinner parties this weekend and am confident I will attend without having to tell everyone what I went thru on Monday. Best thing on the discharge papers…no housework for 4 weeks! Thanks Doc!

Overall I am happy to have had the surgery. I hope and pray you will have a good experience as well. If you have any other questions, do ask.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.